Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Love it, Love it, Love it, :O

Can I have one of those on my layout please? :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Very Jealous Bodgit :sungum:

I wasn't planning on doing much more in the bunker tonight, but I think I'll just pop in there and see if there's anything needs doing.....

Scott - you are a VERY BAD BOY....

You'll be giving the Baron a heart attack if you come up with any more. At least Julia wasn't wearing a green mankini!!!!!

Jeff

moving quickly along now, here is a picture of a railway somewhat south of KL but at least it has an A3 on it... and some of Hornby's hard-to-find Gresley suburban brake 3rds....

post-war, when even express trains didn't always get the luxury of corridor carriages. Clearly the engine is working hard, Great Central main line, overloaded, as ever...

post-7929-0-12382300-1377557304.jpg

Rob

Edited by robmcg

I wasn't planning on doing much more in the bunker tonight, but I think I'll just pop in there and see if there's anything needs doing.....

Scott - you are a VERY BAD BOY....

You'll be giving the Baron a heart attack if you come up with any more. At least Julia wasn't wearing a green mankini!!!!!

Jeff

You also have to remember the context, Jeff...  it's 4:45am my time  :O when I see these taunts, and then have to go trawling the internets for suitable material!

FWIW, there were images of Ms Bradbury in green swimwear, but it struck me that if she was wearing it, it in no way would be a MANkini...

Right.

Next challenge?

Edited by jukebox

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, I just go off for as few days to visit the old folks and it takes me ages to catch up with latest developments. That grass looks very good. I bought a newly published book on static grass and other scenic techniques at Bill Hudson's bookshop at Matlock station, pricey but worth the investment. I'll edit in the details when I get back home. Details to be found in post #8117.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I just go off for as few days to visit the old folks and it takes me ages to catch up with latest developments. That grass looks very good. I bought a newly published book on static grass and other scenic techniques at Bill Hudson's bookshop at Matlock station, pricey but worth the investment. I'll edit in the details when I get back home.

Morning Jonathan.

I'm pleased with the result and it hasn't used as much scatter material as I'd expected. 2-3 layers "base" covers should be enough for most of the Fell. I'll have to consider clumps of vegetation (International Models so some great stuff - made by Mini Natur) and some static grass when I do the lower valley areas.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've covered the top half of another 3 feet of the Fell today. I've also changed the hill profile slightly, using plaster, to allow for the next ascending stone wall and to remove a precipice or two next to the cross wall.

Also stocked up with my DAS strips - I'd not realised I was out of the very thinnest. So quite a bit of walling will be done tomorrow.

In the meantime, here's some more pics. You complained about the lack of green stuff. Soon you'll be sick of the sight of it!

And btw, a lone meandering, lost sheep will make it's way onto the Fell tomorrow...see if you can spot it!

post-13778-0-98384100-1377621929_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-52781700-1377621933_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-78194200-1377621937_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-16445400-1377621942_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 7

Afternoon Guvnor, so by the speed of the progress this week can we assume that you are aiming for a Christmass 2013 finishing date :no:  or have I just woke up from a BAD DREAM :O

The walls do set the hill apart from most layout that are in the mags today. once the cattle / sheep tracks are in and some rough scrub land it will be a stunner. 

Please keep the pics coming with or without human intervention. :triniti:

How about a ruin stone barn built to 3mm scale on the far hill near the corner?

Bodgit, looking for trouble again :nono:

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy.

The idea is to put a couple of structures onto the Fell, as indicated in the first photo:

post-13778-0-41372000-1377622910_thumb.jpg

These would be something like these:

post-13778-0-52966900-1377622913.jpg

post-13778-0-20048600-1377622918.jpg

The latter is one of the air vents above Blea Moor tunnel - this pic is from post # 5311, taken by Simon.

These ideas aren't set in stone (ha ha), so any suggestions would be very welcome. Peter - where are you?

Jeff

• Like 2

Looking absolutely brill Jeff, amazing what a bit of colour and texture does. On the subject of ruined buildings - did I forward the quite distant photo of the semi-derelict barn structure which sits just higher up the road from Dent, if not I'll dig it out.

BTW, why didn't god think of those views we were treated to earlier they could give the fells a whole new following!

On my one and only post so far I did say I wouldn't make any further comment as I simply cannot bring myself to pass judgement on such wonderful work..........but, in my VERY humble and uninformed opinion, a tunnel air vent should surely be sited over a tunnel and some distance from the tunnel portal. If I am reading your sketch correctly your proposed position is neither.

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

I think a tunnel vent shaft is a definate feature that you need.  I do not know the Cumbrian Fells at all but your picture is of a sheep shelter next to a beck(?).  Is that a structure that is lower down the fell rather than where you have drawn it should go?  I am not sure what structures you would have at the top of the fell.  A shepherds hut?

In the meantime, here's some more pics. You complained about the lack of green stuff. Soon you'll be sick of the sight of it!

Never in a million years!!

Hi Jeff

I totally agree with Bodgit, we want MORE pics PLEASE.

I could have sworn I recognised that sheep fold by the beck, but it looks like it's below a reservoir, so it's not the one I was thinking off.

Do you or anyone else know where it is??

Nosey Lune

And as Andy says, it might be worth making it (should you choose to include an air vent Jeff) to a smaller scale to add to the sense of perspective.

The late and great Peter Denny constructed some of his background buildings to a smaller scale to improve the "look" and give a greater sense of space and proportion to his layouts.

I'd be inclined to put the air vent near where you've marked the sheep shelter.

• RMweb Premium

On my one and only post so far I did say I wouldn't make any further comment as I simply cannot bring myself to pass judgement on such wonderful work..........but, in my VERY humble and uninformed opinion, a tunnel air vent should surely be sited over a tunnel and some distance from the tunnel portal. If I am reading your sketch correctly your proposed position is neither.

Hi Martin.

Glad you think the work is wonderful, but there are many, many things I haven't a clue about - and that's where the gang on here come in!

You are correct regarding the location of the air vent. However, I'm a bit limited by space, so "modeller's licence" will be applied. I'd certainly want to get it spot on, if possible, but the vent chimney is such an interesting feature - and it's better than a blank bit of fell!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

I think a tunnel vent shaft is a definate feature that you need.  I do not know the Cumbrian Fells at all but your picture is of a sheep shelter next to a beck(?).  Is that a structure that is lower down the fell rather than where you have drawn it should go?  I am not sure what structures you would have at the top of the fell.  A shepherds hut?

Chris, I have to agree with you. Bodgit suggested some kind of structure up top, but the sheep "corral" would be better suited in the valley near the stream. Yes, some kind of (derelict) shepherd's hut/shelter would look more the part up there.

Peter - the air vent is associated with the tunnel, which is at the viaduct end of the layout. Being there also has the advantage that there aren't any other features on the fell at that end, whereas the cutting end is swamped with them.

Thanks very much for your consideration and suggestions.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Or of course there is always this one...

http://boydharris.co.uk/w_bh12/120830.htm third pic down.

Must admit that I prefer the original - Jim, I think you were the one who provided the link in the first place.

I think I'll Google shepherd's huts to see what kind of thing/hovel they used. Then - since the DAS seems dry enough - I'm going to do an hour or two of walling.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Never in a million years!!

Hi Jeff

I totally agree with Bodgit, we want MORE pics PLEASE.

I could have sworn I recognised that sheep fold by the beck, but it looks like it's below a reservoir, so it's not the one I was thinking off.

Do you or anyone else know where it is??

Nosey Lune

If ever there was someone I could turn to, in order to justify "more pics", it'd be you, Chip.

Always happy to oblige - provided there's something a bit different worth showing on here. 

Don't forget, it's "spot the sheep" tomorrow - I'm doing this in order to force me into looking for the sheep that Jason sent me (and I don't know where my collection from the old layout has gone to!).

OK, time to do some walling - at some stage I'll model that last stile you posted photos of.

Jeff

Hi Martin.

Glad you think the work is wonderful, but there are many, many things I haven't a clue about - and that's where the gang on here come in!

You are correct regarding the location of the air vent. However, I'm a bit limited by space, so "modeller's licence" will be applied. I'd certainly want to get it spot on, if possible, but the vent chimney is such an interesting feature - and it's better than a blank bit of fell!

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I can see what you mean about wanting to include the tunnel air vent, a very interesting railway related structure - and certainly of more interest than a blank fell or even yet another small gathering of sheep.

I think my worry is that it might be visible in views/photos which also include the line of the track and the tunnel portal and so look "wrong". Although associated with the tunnel would it not look better placed as far as possible from,and not obviously related to, the tunnel portal?

Chris (the name Martinaston reflects another interest - no prizes!)