Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Well, I think it may be safer just to give a link.  After all, it is some $%*ss! :O

So what's wrong with that, Michael? Maybe a bit green, but the fibres look fine!

Not been in the bunker today - yet - too busy watching the Test match.

Jeff

I believe Midland style fencing was wood and never painted white. Precision Paints LMS buildings brown gives a neat prepresentation of the colour.  There was a lot of it bordering Chinley yard but I suspect its a housing estate now! 

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

I believe Midland style fencing was wood and never painted white. Precision Paints LMS buildings brown gives a neat prepresentation of the colour.  There was a lot of it bordering Chinley yard but I suspect its a housing estate now! 

As usual, you are a great source of extremely useful knowledge, Larry. I'm a fair way from doing any fencing but I'll register your info. for future use.

I've just mixed up 2 very weak (30 drops of paint per 20ml of water) acrylic washes - one of Tamiya Earth Brown, the other of Woodland Scenics Stone Grey - and trialled them on my test ballast rig. Whether or not the colours themselves will be noticeable, the effect is to take the edge of the clean ballast and dull it quite nicely. Into the bunker shortly.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Here's the first photo of the weathered main line I've done so far. A bit of earth brown, then some grey, applied fairly lightly. Still damp and drying.

I've applied grot between the rails and along the middle of the 6 foot.

The station area will eventually get a darker treatment but for the moment I just want to create some demarcation between the running lines and surroundings.

post-13778-0-36905800-1377278529_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's looking better Jeff, Subtle and effective.

Bodge :sungum:

Cheers Andy.

I've weathered the mainline from the station to the far end of the viaduct. It's misleading when the paint is wet - I'll try and post a couple of pics around 11pm, when the paint will hopefully be dry.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

As promised, the ballast-weathering pics. I'm wondering if I should add a bit more paint....the weathering may be a bit TOO subtle at the mo. Easy to do - an hour's work at max.

post-13778-0-56114100-1377294526_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-62391900-1377294534_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-79254100-1377294542_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-86493900-1377294549_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-93682000-1377294556_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Well to me, that looks just about spot on, particularly the section over the viaduct.

It looks used, but not overly dirty.

Al

Thanks Al. You've reinforced my viewpoint - I've been in the bunker for the last 30 minutes and I've left everything as it was until the track reaches the platform areas. I've added some more brown and grey and those sections are now drying. As they'd be the scene of parked locos I reckoned they needed a bit more basic grot. I'll add some more specific "grot spots" when I know the most likely locations for locos to stop when pulling rolling stock....

I've been wondering how this would look as dirtying nice, clean ballast is quite difficult to do. I started off being careful, but by the end I was almost sloshing the grey colour with abandon between the rails!

More ballast painting tomorrow. I'll do the second half of the main line and I'll give the branch a going over.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Grot spots would need to come where the locos sit awaiting signals often etc... The weathering does look good, but you could probably afford to darken odd sections a bit more, as it would be very unusual for all the ballast to be the same age....

Sadly what it does show up is the tiebars on the points. Wouldn't they look better if the sleeper spacings around the tiebar (Keeping the tie-bar as a sleeper) where spaced out more so that the tie-bar looked just like a normal sleeper? Maybe a bit late to do anything about that now though.

Andy G

Snip     *I'm wondering if I should add a bit more paint....*

No, it looks just fine to me. Like Andy says there may be one or two spots where it could be darker but I think you got it spot on first time.

Nice work Jeff.

I will know how to do my mainline now .....when I get that far!

Jim

NO NO NO :O

STOP NOW :O

DON'T DO ANYMORE :O

Once you add scenery you will automatically change the shadow effect on the ballast. Browns and Greens all around will change the the look and and the you can then adjust as necessary.

YOU CAN ALWAYS DARKEN. :O

BUT YOU CAN'T ALWAYS LIGHTEN. :O

BELIEVE ME I have tried and FAILED :O  it will then always look wrong in your eyes. :nono:

Bodgit :sungum:

Hi Jeff,

Following my summer recess I am back and very envious of all your progress. The ballasting is really looking the part as is the viaduct. I have a lot of catching up to do!

Keep up the good work.

Best wishes

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Following my summer recess I am back and very envious of all your progress. The ballasting is really looking the part as is the viaduct. I have a lot of catching up to do!

Keep up the good work.

Best wishes

Mike

Hi Mike,

Good to have you back on here - I was wondering where you'd got to! A number of Lunesters went AWOL (!!) a few months back and it's been relatively quiet without them. fortunately, they are starting to return!

I've spent the last 4 months building stone walls, bridges and ballasting. You'll probably notice there's still not a blade of grass in sight - to Bodgit's chagrin!

Looking forward to your usual critically helpful comments.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The postman delivered my 4F this morning. Posted from Kernow in Camborne, Cornwall last night - it's the n-th time this level of delivery service has been seen!

Anyway, the 4F now has a DCC address and has made a number of circuits, forward and reverse, around KL. Lovely little model. Looks far too clean though!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

The postman delivered my 4F this morning. Posted from Kernow in Camborne, Cornwall last night - it's the n-th time this level of delivery service has been seen!

Anyway, the 4F now has a DCC address and has made a number of circuits, forward and reverse, around KL. Lovely little model. Looks far too clean though!

Jeff

PICTURES!!!

We Want PICTURES!!!

:D

• RMweb Gold

Bogit is right (as usual!) don't try to get is total spot on at this stage as it will look different when compared to the hills with gr*ss rather than bare boards.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Bogit is right (as usual!) don't try to get is total spot on at this stage as it will look different when compared to the hills with gr*ss rather than bare boards.

Don

I've kept the weathering fairly light - even in the station area - and I'll not overdo it even when all the other scenics are in. But thanks for the advice.

PICTURES!!!

We Want PICTURES!!!

:D

Al - I've actually been running some class 108 DMUs around for the last hour. The poor little 4F has been trundled off into a siding!!

I'm just going to have a snack then I'll brave the torrential downpours to get you a pic or two of the 4F.... I'm seriously going to get it filthed up - I might even buy another.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I cant wait for my 4F, I still have the Hornby one and like you I may get another Bachy one, I am not that worried about early or late crest, although I prefer to have late crest from choice but I also have about 20% early crest. That would give me 3 X 4F's :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I cant wait for my 4F, I still have the Hornby one and like you I may get another Bachy one, I am not that worried about early or late crest, although I prefer to have late crest from choice but I also have about 20% early crest. That would give me 3 X 4F's :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Pictures coming up shortly....

Mine is a late-crest 31-882. I may buy another and get it re-numbered and weathered at the same time.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Aren't 4Fs the Midlands equivalent of a 57xx pannier you can never have too many - maids of all work.

Don

So I'm led to believe. They underpinned much of the work in the LMS/Midland region. The problem I have is that not many 4Fs were in service on the S&C after 1960, which pre-dates my target time zone (1964-1966ish). 

What the hell, they are lovely engines so I'll be getting another!

Jeff

• Like 1