Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I must be the only Lunester who didn't know what a 4F was :scratchhead: until I googled it.

I'm sure you lot will help expand my knowledge beyond early GWR

Jim

Don't worry Jim! I was in the same position until the turn of the year. Jason, Jonathan and the Baron set-to to educate me and emphasise how important these little beasties were!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Here you go - take your pick!

attachicon.gif100_3980.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3981.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3982.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3983.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3986.JPG

Jeff

Wonderful! :) :) :)

Thanks Jeff, hope you didn't get too wet.

Doesn't it just show how bad the Airfix ones were :(  (I've got two of them)

I need lots of 4Fs and 3Fs - my local shed (Rowsley) was full of them.

I foresee a dark future for my wallet...

• RMweb Premium

So do I - I've just ordered another one!

I'll have a look through my S&C photo collection and find some 4Fs on the line (it's not difficult). Then I'll get both 4Fs renumbered and weathered at the same time.

Go on, Al - treat yourself!

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff, First impression, :O

Well to clean, :no:

Front coupling, :no:

No crew, :no:

Plastic coal, :no:

No No No :senile: :senile: :senile:

FANTASTIC LOOKING MODEL MATE.

GREAT PICS ON THE VIADUCT,

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT PULLING A NICE LONG TRAIN OF VANS.

More pics of it at the other end and in the yard please mate.

I cant wait till I get my hands on mine, but it will stay in its box for at least the next three months. :stinker:

Bodgit :sungum:

If ever there was an engine which cried out for a visit to the weathering shop..! <g>   I will probably weaken when I see these 4Fs for sale in begrimed and slightly rusty everyday appearance.

I do have a problem with adding crew to engines though. They always look too static.  No crew is perhaps worse, but I can imagine...?

If ever there was an engine which cried out for a visit to the weathering shop..! <g>   I will probably weaken when I see these 4Fs for sale in begrimed and slightly rusty everyday appearance.

I do have a problem with adding crew to engines though. They always look too static.  No crew is perhaps worse, but I can imagine...?

I agree Rob, but there is not much we can do until DCC gives us moving arms and legs :no: , I tried this pose but you cant have this on EVERY LOCO.

post-9335-0-07752100-1377377633_thumb.jpg

Bodgit

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, First impression, :O

Well to clean, :no:

Front coupling, :no:

No crew, :no:

Plastic coal, :no:

No No No :senile: :senile: :senile:

FANTASTIC LOOKING MODEL MATE.

GREAT PICS ON THE VIADUCT,

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT PULLING A NICE LONG TRAIN OF VANS.

More pics of it at the other end and in the yard please mate.

I cant wait till I get my hands on mine, but it will stay in its box for at least the next three months. :stinker:

Well too clean - that'll be sorted when the second 4F arrives. Heavy weathering on both and renumbered.

Andy - I haven't built the goods yard area yet, but I'll oblige by moving the 4F to the other end. Have a look on here in around 30 minutes....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I can forsee some locos going begging then..... I might be able to give one (or both) of your old ones a home for you...... They made it to the HR section in the mid 20's....

The level of detail on the modern stuff is quite amazing, but so it should be for the price!

Jeff, noticed that in one of the shots you could see the web between the sleepers, that could be annoying in the future....

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

I can forsee some locos going begging then..... I might be able to give one (or both) of your old ones a home for you...... They made it to the HR section in the mid 20's....

The level of detail on the modern stuff is quite amazing, but so it should be for the price!

Jeff, noticed that in one of the shots you could see the web between the sleepers, that could be annoying in the future....

Andy G

Not the kind of thing that bothers me, Andy. Too many other things to look at - I mean, I don't even notice the tension couplers at the front of the locos - and Bodgit has to keep reminding me to take them off!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Nice cattle train, but you need to get kit building and add some veriaty into it.... Some nice LMS and LNER ones would break that train up a bit.... And some weathering (but none of the white streaks!)....

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Nice cattle train, but you need to get kit building and add some veriaty into it.... Some nice LMS and LNER ones would break that train up a bit.... And some weathering (but none of the white streaks!)....

Andy G

I can guarantee that weathering wagons will be on the agenda when I get more of the layout completed.

Some cattle in the wagons might also help - can you get the roof off!!?

Jeff

Hi Jeff, Morning mate, Thanks for those cracking pics again, that really is a wonderful looking loco, I am also waiting for Baccy to re do the J39 as well.

I love that cattle train, that is one set on wagons that I don't have, probably because of the thought of them going for slaughter. :angel:  I guess some were just moving cattle around the country and for sale to outlaying farms.

Its another MUST HAVE I guess :nono:

• RMweb Gold

I can guarantee that weathering wagons will be on the agenda when I get more of the layout completed.

Some cattle in the wagons might also help - can you get the roof off!!?

Jeff

I'm sure if you accidentally drop them on the floor, the roof will come off eventually - works every time for me :(

Of course, you then have to fix the broken buffers and replace the missing wheelset...

grumble... mutter...

:banghead: :banghead:

• RMweb Premium

Morning to Andy and Al.

I thought you'd enjoy the pics. Must admit, those cattle wagons are amongst my favourites. Nicely detailed - though they need a bit of weathering. As I said to AndyG, that's something I'll look into once I get the layout more sorted.

The 4F looks nicely in proportion pulling the wagons through the pointwork. I can imagine the station buildings in the background!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I was just thinking about progress.

Here are a couple of photos from early September 2012. No track fitted, no wiring, no point motors, no hillsides, no baseboard risers..... basically, nothing.

So some progress has been made!!

post-13778-0-07491800-1377418574_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-20624700-1377418582_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

And just as importantly, Peco track!  The change to marcway points and matching track certainly made a big difference!

Even if I do - occasionally (!!) - miss out the odd sleeper using SMP!!

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

Thought I had missed a year with the 'Tardis' style time jumping shots! Thought at first a new section on KL was being started as I've missed a couple of months progress. Quite relieved once I had read the caption.

The 4F looks good with the cattle train, the weathering can be done at your leisure when you have a batch to work on as it saves time and materials.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Thought I had missed a year with the 'Tardis' style time jumping shots! Thought at first a new section on KL was being started as I've missed a couple of months progress. Quite relieved once I had read the caption.

The 4F looks good with the cattle train, the weathering can be done at your leisure when you have a batch to work on as it saves time and materials.

Evening Mike.

As readers of this thread will know, I'm quite happy to have a go at weathering anything except expensive locos. So I'll be more than happy to have a go at some wagons (let's face it, if you "ruin" a £12 wagon it's not the end of the world!) at some stage. I really want to learn some basic airbrushing skills, but that's not a priority at the moment....far too many other things to be getting on with.

Apologies for the "Tardis effect"! I often shock myself by looking back over what things were like 3, 6 and 12 months ago. It's amazing how a little bit of consistent progress adds up to a huge advance over a long enough period of time.

I've still got some more ballasting to do, but I'm leaving that until I build the goods yard area. That was planned for the end of the year, but I've enjoyed myself so much with the ballasting (yes, I'm serious - what a saddo I must be!!) that I'll probably get on with that in a month or so. Problem is - as Jason pointed out - I'll probably end up with "Bodgit's disease" and spend the rest of the year shunting!

Then there's the platforms, station buildings, goods shed.... oh, and a few more miles of walling! Btw, I weathered the walling last night - looks quite nice now it's not a whitey DAS colour. Problem is, the colour is a bit subtle and doesn't show up too well in photos.

Anyway, I'm rambling. It may be time to go and play with the 4F again!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Nice pictures Jeff. I would imagine that a cattle train (i.e all cattle wagons) would most likely be from a cattle market or dealer going to a big centre. Individual cattle wagons would more likely be bringing in a few animals for a local farmers or taking some to a cattle market.

Don

ps Was there much cattle traffic still on the rails after 64?

Edited by Donw

• RMweb Premium

Nice pictures Jeff. I would imagine that a cattle train (i.e all cattle wagons) would most likely be from a cattle market or dealer going to a big centre. Individual cattle wagons would more likely be bringing in a few animals for a local farmers or taking some to a cattle market.

Don

ps Was there much cattle traffic still on the rails after 64?

Good question - and probably not.

But the wagons look nice, so KL may exist in a local "time warp". May explain the earlier Tardis photos Mike was referring to!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

IIRC the last movements of cattle in cattle wagons was in the '70's from Kyle of Lochalsh south, due to the roads not being able to cope with the traffic.

I'm amazed at how much progress that has been made in the vale of Lune in a year, Wish I could be as productive!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

These photos are for Andy....

If you look closely on the first pic you can make out the difference in the duller colour of the weathered wall as against the whiter one in the foreground.

The remaining 3 ... well, I don't know why I posted them really. Do you, Andy??!!  :O  :O  :O  :O  :O  :O

post-13778-0-18919100-1377467660_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-08452400-1377467665_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-37185800-1377467669_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-08490900-1377467673_thumb.jpg

• Like 10