Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Jeff, I know you are limited in picture-viewing in being phone-equipped, but I cannot resist pointing out that one particular class of loco never mentioned for KL is the Clan class Standard 4-6-2. Several of these spent their last years at Carlisle and MAY have worked the S&C, so it will be your duty to BUY SEVERAL.

I have never ACTUALLY seen a picture of a Clan on the S&C but that has not stopped me before. I just bought a lovely weathered 72008 which, even if it never ventured past Settle, will be forced to now. I have often thought that some recent models are so extremely good that, for the prices asked, they will never be better, so forgive me please if I put these pics of the new model here. I makes a change from abandoned stone huts, and Clans were about as useful, being somewhat useless in the grand British Railway scheme of things.

A photo of a Clan stalled on the Long Drag, 'boiling up' before entering Ais Gill Tunnel or something equally dramatic would probably make a nice picture. My grandfather was a NZR express driver from before 1920 to 1942 and such things DID (rarely) happen. Clans weren't the best for steaming, not helped by BR's awful smokebox self-cleaning mesh systems..

I can see the thread police tut-tutting as I type...

post-7929-0-06877100-1380513761.jpg

post-7929-0-68676000-1380513841.jpg

post-7929-0-33506900-1380513863.jpg

Rob

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I saw the last Clan at Kingmoor in 1967 and have found records of them being used over the S & C even if I never remember seeing one at Settle.  I have found some slides of them working into and out of Leeds on trains that must have come over the S & C so there is evidence of their use.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy, a good illustration of Derbyshire dry stone walling in the third and fourth photos. Very different from those in S&C country and not as easy to model. Not the S&C ones are that easy (he says very quickly to avoid a cry of anguish from The Boss). It's just that Derbyshire limestone doesn't fracture along regular planes whereas the S&C ones do.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rob - I've a number of photos of Clans on the S&C.

I haven't bought one as the model is almost as expensive as a Brit and IIRC only ten Clans were built.

It's a lovely model - I will no doubt end up buying one!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy, a good illustration of Derbyshire dry stone walling in the third and fourth photos. Very different from those in S&C country and not as easy to model. Not the S&C ones are that easy (he says very quickly to avoid a cry of anguish from The Boss). It's just that Derbyshire limestone doesn't fracture along regular planes whereas the S&C ones do.

Now then Rowsley, lad, we'll have less of your insubordination!!! Lol

It'll be nice to get back to the laptop and look at all this stuff in detail.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Rob - one additional point. I agree with you about the current quality of models. With economics coming into play, have Hornby RTR reached their zenith?

I can understand your desire to purchase them!

And stop worrying about thread drift. The Clan is very relevant here. And more attractive than the pics of ply and DAS you'll be seeing later this week ..

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Real. Same with the Brits: although the problem was really the wheels turning on the axles leading to bent coupling rods (which is one of the reasons why later Brits had stronger, rectangular-section rods, not fluted). All to do with the hollow axles 'collapsing' slightly when the wheels were pressed on. Once the wall gauge of the axles was increased by boring out less material from the axle, and the machining and fitting tolerances sorted (especially for roller-bearing machines), the problem was solved. But it should never have happened in the first place. Along with other Brit design features such as regulators sticking open, tenders parting company with locomotives, broken piston heads (water carry-over from the steam intake), frame cracks around the hornguides, leaking 'cannon' axleboxes, draughty, dusty cabs, 'gutless' performance (for a modern class 7), etc., etc...

Cheers,

BR(W).

• RMweb Premium

With regard to the gates I mentioned ages ago I've found the following pictures:

http://www.freeirishphotos.com/images/large/rural/farm_gates_1.jpg (but imagine as a single gate)

http://www.freeirishphotos.com/images/large/rural/farm_gate_1.jpg. As above but as one gate

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigbirdma/8469775659/ is very fancy!

and

http://wallsandhedges.blogspot.co.uk/2011_04_01_archive.html What a blog this is, all you need to know about stone walls and stoops!

Andy G

I've managed to get on the internet via laptop for a short time. Had a look at the walls and hedges link, Andy - re. Lake District.

Funnily enough, I'm familiar with both the walls shown - Patterdale and Langdale. Think I'm becoming a walling "rivet counter"!

Jeff

I saw the last Clan at Kingmoor in 1967 and have found records of them being used over the S & C even if I never remember seeing one at Settle.  I have found some slides of them working into and out of Leeds on trains that must have come over the S & C so there is evidence of their use.

Jamie

Music to my ears.

I think the Clan is the zenith of Hornby modelling, quality-wise, ever. But many more are excellent as are many Bachmann. We are spoiled.

• RMweb Premium

Music to my ears.I think the Clan is the zenith of Hornby modelling, quality-wise, ever. B

ut many more are excellent as are many Bachmann. We are spoiled.

Music to my ears.I think the Clan is the zenith of Hornby modelling, quality-wise, ever. But many more are excellent as are many Bachmann. We are spoiled.

Agree re. being spoiled.

The Brits are my favourite Hornby model, so the class 6, being so similar, should be a "good un".

Update on KL. I should be home on Wednesday so may get going on the building then.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All these Clans and Brits are all very well, but what about a mundane workhorse or two...

This is what I was blaming Jeff and Jason for...

post-17302-0-17919800-1380566720_thumb.jpg

It needs renumbering to be a Rowsley engine, now.

:senile: :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ah, yes, slight misunderstanding :)

The non DCC on-board ones are £66, however, when I totted up the cost of buying a 21pin chip, it was still cheaper to get the weathered DCC fitted one for £87.50, so that's what I did!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah, yes, slight misunderstanding :)

The non DCC on-board ones are £66, however, when I totted up the cost of buying a 21pin chip, it was still cheaper to get the weathered DCC fitted one for £87.50, so that's what I did!

Al, having acquired 2 4Fs and a 3F, I can agree that the smaller "workhorse" locos are just as impressive as the big Standards.

Cracking models!!

Jeff

Well, I did rather like the Hornby R1 0-6-0 tank engine.... I used to run it on track on the carpet in the sun room (do English houses ever have 'sun rooms'? It was just a living room which adjoined a dining room, and got a lot of, you guessed it, sun) when I was a kid.

Then the rot set in.

edit; p.s. my late father, a lifetime railway man had one vice when it came to sweets, licorice allsorts. In other ways he was rational.

Edited by robmcg