Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I read somewhere that some folks fill overlarge gaps between rail ends with two-part epoxy.

Interesting that you mention this because I'd read something similar a while back - and couldn't remember what material was used. If anyone else wishes to chip in - especially if you've actually done this - please do.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Re rail gaps - Plasticard shims, they can be worked to the correct profile easily, a touch of super glue will hold them in place, a sharp tap will knock them off if needed.

Epoxy is not so good at taking paint.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Certainly used to be the traditional method. Perhaps something better nowadays? I have always thought that epoxy would set too hard and not allow enough for expansion. That may not be an issue for Jeff in a well-insulated building.

Joseph - you just made me laugh! The layout is in a converted double garage which is adjacent to, but not joined to, the house. Before I converted it, the temperature range inside the building was around - 5C to + 25C. This summer the temperature remained almost steady, night and day, whatever the weather, at around 18 - 20C. However, I left a quarter of the building uninsulated, in its original state for garden storage. Currently, the door area between the two areas has no door - haven't fitted one yet. Consequently, my lovely insulated room tends to cool down: 6C this morning. With the heater on it's still a pleasant environment, but I must do something about that door!

Btw, the expansion coefficient for Nickel-Silver is around 0.017mm per degree C temperature change per metre length. So a temperature swing of 20C would change a metre length by about 0.3mm. I've tried to include 1mm gaps along the way, though the occasional 2mm appears. Shock horror - I can cope with that!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Re rail gaps - Plasticard shims, they can be worked to the correct profile easily, a touch of super glue will hold them in place, a sharp tap will knock them off if needed.

Epoxy is not so good at taking paint.

Cheers - again - Dave. Question: what's a shim? Is it like the rodding (square cross section) I used on my viaduct?

Btw, hope you got Windows 8 sorted. I bought a laptop with Windows 7 in July, and I'm quite happy to make do with that for the foreseeable future!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Cheers - again - Dave. Question: what's a shim? Is it like the rodding (square cross section) I used on my viaduct?

Btw, hope you got Windows 8 sorted. I bought a laptop with Windows 7 in July, and I'm quite happy to make do with that for the foreseeable future!

Jeff

Cheers Jeff, I work in IT support so PCs don't worry me, but Windows 8 does not fit in with my way of using them so out it goes.

A shim is just a piece of plasticard bridging the gap, a filler if you will.

Jeff, this is a Code 70 Shinohara (DCC-unfriendly) I made DCC ready by (amongst other things) gapping the frog with a razor saw.

I then cut some 5mm squares of black plasticard and Araldited them in place. Once the glue was dry, I used a sharp scalpel to shave the card back to the shape of the rail head.

Et voilà! Just like an electrofrog! :O

post-8688-0-76413300-1352199914_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Joseph - you just made me laugh! The layout is in a converted double garage which is adjacent to, but not joined to, the house. Before I converted it, the temperature range inside the building was around - 5C to + 25C. This summer the temperature remained almost steady, night and day, whatever the weather, at around 18 - 20C. However, I left a quarter of the building uninsulated, in its original state for garden storage. Currently, the door area between the two areas has no door - haven't fitted one yet. Consequently, my lovely insulated room tends to cool down: 6C this morning. With the heater on it's still a pleasant environment, but I must do something about that door!

Btw, the expansion coefficient for Nickel-Silver is around 0.017mm per degree C temperature change per metre length. So a temperature swing of 20C would change a metre length by about 0.3mm. I've tried to include 1mm gaps along the way, though the occasional 2mm appears. Shock horror - I can cope with that!

Jeff

Always pleased to get a laugh. I just recall the early part of this thread and the amount of work that you put into making the railway room. I had not considered that there might be a door missing.

Obviously, as a physicist, you are well placed to know about expansion co-efficients. But some layouts seem to have had problems with lower temperature variables that that. 1mm gap should be plenty. It is, after all, equivalent to a 3" gap!

• RMweb Premium

Always pleased to get a laugh. I just recall the early part of this thread and the amount of work that you put into making the railway room. I had not considered that there might be a door missing.

Obviously, as a physicist, you are well placed to know about expansion co-efficients. But some layouts seem to have had problems with lower temperature variables that that. 1mm gap should be plenty. It is, after all, equivalent to a 3" gap!

I'm glad you've been following the thread Joseph. And you would assume - wouldn't you - that after all that work, I'd fit an internal door! I left a gap/frame for one, but it's never been fitted as I thought it would get in the way when moving boards and wood in and out. Now, in November, I wish I'd fitted the damn thing!

You make a good point about the gap that I hadn't thought about. Yes, 1mm is only 3" in real-life... not too big!

I've just fitted cork to the top of the viaduct, so by tea-time there should be a viaduct fixed in place with a mainline going over it. And Peter (P.C.M) if you're watching, there'll be a loco posed on the top - but it won't be a 9F. Readers have a choice of 4MT 4-6-0, 5MT 4-6-0, Jubilee, Peaks class 44 or 45 or class 37 (all diesels in green). If you want to make a nomination, I'll use the most nominated one when I come to "striking the pose"!! An offer you can't refuse!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

I've just fitted cork to the top of the viaduct, so by tea-time there should be a viaduct fixed in place with a mainline going over it. And Peter (P.C.M) if you're watching, there'll be a loco posed on the top - but it won't be a 9F. Readers have a choice of 4MT 4-6-0, 5MT 4-6-0, Jubilee, Peaks class 44 or 45 or class 37 (all diesels in green). If you want to make a nomination, I'll use the most nominated one when I come to "striking the pose"!! An offer you can't refuse!

Jeff

It has to be either the Black Five or 'Jubilee' - after all it is supposed to be a model of the S&C route (every time I come across S&C in any thread I immediately think of pointwork having grown up - debatable I know - on the Western where 'S&C' meant 'switch & crossing').

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Scott. I like the unobtrusive look of the black plastikard - so may try this kind of thing (as suggested by Dave (Beast) and you) if needed. I will show my ignorance here - I didn't know you could buy black plastikard!

Jeff

PS. Do you get commission for acknowledging Araldite (oops, sorry, AralditeTM) as a trade-marked product? Lol! :O :o :O :o

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Despite my being a (green) diesel man myself, in the interests of 'proper' S&C - I think you should pose a Jubilee then see how 'popular' that is!!!

Gotta be worth 10 points at least! He, he!

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just to keep you posted, the photos below show the current state-of-play. Track has been laid onto the viaduct and the PVA is drying. When the glue has cured I'll put the loco onto the viaduct and take more pics...whichever loco it will be!

Jeff

post-13778-0-25018800-1352221819_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-69386800-1352221859_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Jeff

The whole thing is looking good now and you have made quick progress in getting the track down. Look forward to seeing a loco on the viaduct, steam preferably, I'm not bothered by which one as I always imagine a Duke or River class with some chocolate & cream clerestories on the top of such structures. :lol:

Look forward to further posts.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Coincidence or what? I've just put a post onto your thread at almost the same time you posted here! Freaky!!

I'll leave the glue for a couple more hours then go out later with a loco. Only 2 people have made specific requests. So it'll be a Jubilee heading on the down into the station and, just maybe, a Black 5 could be heading on the up, towards the fiddle yard.... You'll have to imagine the scenery and rolling stock, I'm afraid!!!!

Jeff

• Like 2

Seeing as there is a wide temperature varance in your railway room Jeff, it is safer to go for gaps. They might looks wide now in Winter but they'll sure as heck close up come hot summer. This was my transfer yard on an old layout.....

post-6680-0-90417000-1352225784.jpg

.....Then one Sunday morning I went into the shed to find this...

post-6680-0-80808900-1352225780.jpg

I had concentrated on getting the fishplated curve right and overlooked the lack of rail gaps. They're important, besides they add to the clickety-click!

PS: S'pose I'de better not mention the cambered track.... :tomato:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Well said Larry. The change in length of Nickel-Silver track is quite small but it's plain stupidity to butt the end of one piece against the end of the next. To be honest, although the gaps are there, you don't notice them unless you deliberately look. Your photos above beautifully illustrate the consequences!

Btw, I won't mention camber if you don't!! :no:

Jeff

Ok, here is 45562 Jubilee "Alberta" heading into the station with a very light load and no driver!

........As they do.......No silly H&S ideas getting in the way of operating practices in those days haha....

Seriously though, that viaduct looks the business close up. 'Alberta' was the very last Jubilee I saw and photographed.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Hi Jeff,

You really are making good progress with the track laying, the photos of the viaduct really do show the care you're putting into the layout. I'm still impressed with the finish you've got on the stonework, the first picture really does look good! Almost enough to make me try something slightly simpler...

How are you getting on with the in-fill sleepers? Any chance of on overall view once you've completed them?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

You really are making good progress with the track laying, the photos of the viaduct really do show the care you're putting into the layout. I'm still impressed with the finish you've got on the stonework, the first picture really does look good! Almost enough to make me try something slightly simpler...

How are you getting on with the in-fill sleepers? Any chance of on overall view once you've completed them?

Hi Michael,

I've fitted about 45 infill sleepers. I still have to paint them - at the moment they stand out like copper beacons! I'll try and take a couple of photos for you in the morning - and if they are half-decent I'll PM them to you.

More work on the curves off the far side of the viaduct tomorrow. I've now spent 3 weeks fitting the track down. Quite enjoyable, though my friends can't believe it's anything but tedious!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

That viaduct looks magnificent! Well worth the effort and care you've put into it. And topping it off with a Jubilee (my all-time favourite loco class). You've just made my day!

Bill

Hee hee... glad to be of service Bill. Must admit, Alberta does look in fine fettle on top of the viaduct. Beautiful locos. Maybe I ought to buy another one!!

Jeff