Bachmann retooled Modified Hall 2012 - What can we expect?

Oh dear, I never said the Collett body is an issue.  From what I have read, Bachmann has taken its Collett Hall of 2005 and modified it to represent a Hawksworth variant. So it has added the frame extensions above the running plate and fitted a plate-frame bogie of slightly longer wheelbase. But it did not fit a fire-iron runnel, nor 'L' shaped handrails under the cabside windows, nor a different superheater cover plate.  The top of the cylinder casing should meet the footplate and the smokebox saddle should be angled to cover the top of the frames plates. All this info is covered in 'Model Rail'. This is why Bachmann has recalled the model.

I am waiting for the Hornby hall.

• RMweb Premium

I am waiting for the Hornby hall.

Probably a good idea by the sound of it, but remember that the newly announced Hornby Hall will be the Collett version also modelled by Bachmann and it is that one you will want to compare the Hornby one with when deciding which to buy. The modified Hall that is the subject this thread is not being produced by Hornby.

• Like 1

It's a fair bet Hornby will do all of the Hall varients eventualy. There are 3 boiler and 2 wheelbase varients on their Black 5 and they have made a start on the B17.  They have also captured the diffences between Rebuilt Patriots and Rebuilt Scots. I still think Bachmann may rescue their new hall but it looks like a difficult birth!

• RMweb Gold

It's a fair bet Hornby will do all of the Hall varients eventualy. There are 3 boiler and 2 wheelbase varients on their Black 5 and they have made a start on the B17.  They have also captured the diffences between Rebuilt Patriots and Rebuilt Scots. I still think Bachmann may rescue their new hall but it looks like a difficult birth!

Possibly - but what exactly will we be getting in a 'design clever' 'Hall' - hardly in the same category as the Black 5 I suspect?  I am definitely steering well clear of any sort of advance ordering before seeing it - I've already been caught out by advance ordering a BR liveried 72XX (which might or might not turn up as an accurate model, Hornby still don't seem to know) so I have no intention of ordering an 'even cleverer' 'Hall' - especially when the Bachmann one is not too bad a job and in fact looks very good from a low level viewpoint.

• Like 8

Possibly - but what exactly will we be getting in a 'design clever' 'Hall' - hardly in the same category as the Black 5 I suspect?  I am definitely steering well clear of any sort of advance ordering before seeing it - I've already been caught out by advance ordering a BR liveried 72XX (which might or might not turn up as an accurate model, Hornby still don't seem to know) so I have no intention of ordering an 'even cleverer' 'Hall' - especially when the Bachmann one is not too bad a job and in fact looks very good from a low level viewpoint.

I wait for the reviews every time. The hobby is big money these days. rmweb and the mags have people far more experienced than me that are critical in a way that benefits so the advance ordering thing is not good. Wait for the mark 2! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Comparison of Hornby and Bachmann Halls should be interesting, I suspect the Hornby Hall may win out, direct head to heads usually favour Hornby in the reviews ( 4mt and B1). You can bet Hornby will go all out to produce a good loco. My late brother in law drove on the Western region and had experience of all types of loco, he said without doubt the Hall was the most satisfying loco to drive, steamed really well and did all that was asked of it. He added that although Kings and Castles were undoubtedly more powerful and faster they had to be worked to get the best out of them, whereas the Hall was easy to drive.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Comparison of Hornby and Bachmann Halls should be interesting, I suspect the Hornby Hall may win out, direct head to heads usually favour Hornby in the reviews ( 4mt and B1). You can bet Hornby will go all out to produce a good loco. My late brother in law drove on the Western region and had experience of all types of loco, he said without doubt the Hall was the most satisfying loco to drive, steamed really well and did all that was asked of it. He added that although Kings and Castles were undoubtedly more powerful and faster they had to be worked to get the best out of them, whereas the Hall was easy to drive.

Thankyou for that reply. I especially enjoy reference to your late brother in law's opinion, since such experience is rapidly disappearing. It might also encourage me to buy a weathered Hall class to photograph! 

Although a slightly different subject, I have just finally bitten the bullet and bought a second-hand Irwell Press 'The Book of the A1 and A2 Pacifics' at a very high price...  equivalent to about £60, because it simply isn't available anywhere, though somebody will no doubt say, 'oh, I've got one here you could have for a tenner!'  These books covering most major BR steam classes and some minor ones, like T9s and Garratts, are to my mind the definitive works on the engines I like to model and photograph.  There are more exhaustive books by the RCTS and others I suppose, but they are hard to find.  The Irwell books usually have a fair bit of opinion and experience as part of their loco history, and the attitude of drivers and crew and maintenance people is so much a part of this.

thread drift... better leave it at that.

Rob

.....bought a second-hand Irwell Press 'The Book of the A1 and A2 Pacifics' at a very high price...  equivalent to about £60, because it simply isn't available anywhere....

Same goes for the same publisher's "Book Of The Castle 4-6-0s" - that one flew off the shelves on its first and only release. Irwell say there won't be another print run.

Same goes for the same publisher's "Book Of The Castle 4-6-0s" - that one flew off the shelves on its first and only release. Irwell say there won't be another print run.

I dont know when you enquired but I spoke to Irwell Press at Ally Pally and they said a reprint will be out later this year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The Castles' book was a very heavy tome, but it still flew off the shelves. Although I wasn't in the market for it at the time, I still remember the last copy at Ian Allan Waterloo being snatched off the shelf in front of me!

I have a 'borrowed' copy of 'Castles' at the moment. What is really annoying is, he bought it in one of these discount book shops in Llandudno for £10.00, more so as he is mainly an LMS modeller.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2

No offense chaps, but I'm checking this topic for news / updates on Bachmann's modified Hall, not book reprints that don't even feature the said class.

Edited by Blackout60800

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I don't think anyone ever stated clearly which solution Bachmann were going to adopt:

Get replacement parts made and fitted to the existing bodies in China

The same but fit the parts in the UK

Get complete new bodies made to be fitted onto the existing chassis in China

The same but fit the bodies in the UK

I imagine the "new bodies" option would be the preferred one since from what I understand there would be a high risk of damaging the paint finish in attaching replacement parts.

Don't forget the original Hall models due to be released this year turned up having been made with some bits of the Modified Hall tooling and this can't be resolved other than with new bodies.

So Kader need to find a slot to make runs of new bodies for both original and Modified Halls plus shipping time.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think anyone ever stated clearly which solution Bachmann were going to adopt:

Get replacement parts made and fitted to the existing bodies in China

The same but fit the parts in the UK

Get complete new bodies made to be fitted onto the existing chassis in China

The same but fit the bodies in the UK

I imagine the "new bodies" option would be the preferred one since from what I understand there would be a high risk of damaging the paint finish in attaching replacement parts.

Don't forget the original Hall models due to be released this year turned up having been made with some bits of the Modified Hall tooling and this can't be resolved other than with new bodies.

So Kader need to find a slot to make runs of new bodies for both original and Modified Halls plus shipping time.

My understanding - from a Bachmann 'person' at Ally Pally - was that the 'Modified Halls' were going back to China to be sorted, presumably the others have too?

I think the modified hall was recalled very quickly after release! It's a shame they certainly got the hall an modified halls mixed up! I would love to no when there going to get released again as the modified hall came out back in March. Nearly 7 months ago.

Regards Neil

• RMweb Gold

sorry have i missed something has Hornby done the two wheelbase varients? As for the hall I'm more than happy to wait for a modified one

I emailed Bachmann asking the question about the modifiled halls new release date an as of yet they don't no. The hole lot was shipped back to china as we already new an that's about all that he said.

Neil