Bachmann retooled Modified Hall 2012 - What can we expect?

Any update of which hall we think would be better between the refubished engine from Bachmann which is now in the shops and the design clever one that Hornby is annoucing. I am wondering what others make of the Bachmann Hall and how much space there is for fitting sound etc, as I would think the decoder is in the engine with no wires to the tender.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

To quote Pat Hammond.  'The model under review has a new chassis and is fitted with an 8-pin decoder socket.  It appropriately carries the 81A shedcode, which was for Old Oak Common and it is in early BR lined black livery, which it would have carried from new '.

• RMweb Gold

Based on the rather limited info from a single photo, can any Modified Hall experts tell us what if any improvements apart from a conventional chassis and DCC socket have been made on the previous version?

I don't think Bachmann ever said there would be other improvements, just interested to see what has been done.

Pat Hammond's writeup isn't really a review of the new model, more a history of the prototype and previous model versions, as is his normal style.

To me it looks like the body has had some work done to it! I think they have done a bit more than just upgrade the chassis! There seems to be a valve on the smoke box for the steam lance to be fitted to clean the tubes out also more detail under the sides of the boiler in front the nameplate! If its a new body or just the original with a few more detailed parts added I don't no! Hope this helps

Regards Neil

• 4 weeks later...

As may be but you are talking about a different prototype

I guess 

MREmag Latest Issue but I will now wait for the Hornby Hall 

Just for the record the new Hornby Hall is a match for the currently available Bachmann Hall (4900-6958) whilst this new Hall model is the later Modified Hall (6959-7929) 2 different classes. So you will be better off comparing the Hornby to a Bachmann hall from the 49XX series such as 32-005 4962 Ragley Hall
  • Like 2

Just for the record the new Hornby Hall is a match for the currently available Bachmann Hall (4900-6958) whilst this new Hall model is the later Modified Hall (6959-7929) 2 different classes. So you will be better off comparing the Hornby to a Bachmann hall from the 49XX series such as 32-005 4962 Ragley Hall

Yes I did know but thank you and good point. I asume that (like the Black 5 varients) Hornby will cover everything (all Halls!)

To quote Pat Hammond. 'The model under review has a new chassis and is fitted with an 8-pin decoder socket. '.

I wonder what's new about it (the chassis), it looks the same as the one in 'Guild Hall' released a few years ago (DCC fitted, 8pin).

Edit to avoid confusion - (the chassis)

Edited by tender

It's a modified hall built by hawksworth not a collet build like all the other recent Bachmann halls! A excellent locomotive in real life! Most of the idea's was copied an used on the LMS black 5's

Regards Neil

• RMweb Premium

It's a modified hall built by hawksworth not a collet build like all the other recent Bachmann halls! A excellent locomotive in real life! Most of the idea's was copied an used on the LMS black 5's

Regards Neil

I have never understood the worship Black 5s got, what did it have over a Hall. Even the S&D engine men were impressed by Halls.

Same with 8Fs and 28xxs

I have never understood the worship Black 5s got, what did it have over a Hall. Even the S&D engine men were impressed by Halls.

Same with 8Fs and 28xxs

Black fives lasted until the end of steam. A bit longer than Halls. In fact when they "Midlandised" the 84 group sheds the Staniers replaced the Halls, The popularity is due to the greater route availability. A true go anywhere loco. Halls often "clobbered" platforms when the wandered away from the Western!

I see in the new model rail revue they have found a few problems with this new hall! An I agree the lack of a fire iron tunnel on the fireman side is a bit of a let down plus other little faults its got but it won't stop me buying one or two!

Regards Neil

• RMweb Gold

I see in the new model rail revue they have found a few problems with this new hall! An I agree the lack of a fire iron tunnel on the fireman side is a bit of a let down plus other little faults its got but it won't stop me buying one or two!

Regards Neil

I have much the same view.  The lack of a fireiron tunnel and the platework of the smokebox saddle are silly mistakes which one would hope would be avoided nowadays but at least the first, and possibly the second?, might be fixable.  I'm not so sure about the oil pipe cover between the boiler cladding and smokebox and would like to have a good look at that before making any definite comment.  But overall it does have 'the look' although a long gap twixt loco and tender (no doubt also 'fixable').

The Bachmann 'Hall' sits very nicely overall and I suspect this one is going to do the same.