Bachmann retooled Modified Hall 2012 - What can we expect?

Is it a split chassis?

All 1989/1991 Replica Modified Halls used Mainline type split chassis and motor driving rear axle. Models were: Graythwaite Hall (1947 GW), Burton Agnes Hall (preserved GW), Lady Margaret Hall (late BR). All had Hawksworth tender.

All 1997/1998 Bachmann Modified Halls had 'Spectrum' split chassis with can motors with a heavy worm/ flywheel driving centre axle. Models were: Raveningham Hall [Collett 4000] (GW), Soughton Hall {Collett 4000} (GW), Witherslack Hall [Collett 4000](preserved BR lined black - real loco was never black), Wraysbury Hall [Hawksworth](early BR), Mere Hall [Collett 4000](late BR).

The new Bachmann Modified Halls, when they arrive in bulk, will probably have chassis and motor as on normal Bachmann Hall.

I'm hoping that it will at least have ten spokes on the bogie wheels, as opposed to "have at least ten".

Actually I'm being facetious. I'm not in the market for a modified Hall. I do have the existing Bachmann Hall.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

It is tempting to think that Bachmann might take the opportunity to completly re-tool and upgrade their 'Modified Hall' to show what they can make of a GWR 4-6-0!  Imagine if it were re-released to the same standard as the new 10000 diesel or the 4F!  I'd love it - even if it does cost more!

Gerry

• 8 months later...

I've sent an e-mail query to Bachmann concerning the re-release of Modified Halls, Swithland Hall and Foremarke Hall, as these are showing on the 'Received in the last 30 days' list, which was corrected in the last couple of days to remove the whole product list that it was previously showing and seems to now reflect products recently received. They are also showing as 'In Stock' in the general steam loco 'oo' gauge list on their website. However my retailer has checked with his Bachmann rep who advised that they were not in stock yet and would be late this year or next year. So I've sought clarification.

I'm glad I checked, as my retailer established that there was no automatic stock replacement for my 'recalled' Swithland Hall and he would have to re-order.

• RMweb Gold

The latest Bachmann times has these listed as at the artwork stage which is usually 6 months from delivery I would think early next year for delivery.

However on the Bachmann website they are shown (and have been for some days) as 'in stock' - I have yet to check with either of my local model shops but one of them definitely didn't have them last week when i asked.

Mike (The Stationmaster), my post 160 covers the query you've raised, the Bachmann rep visiting my local shop on Thursday advised that they were not in stock and unlikely to be until end 2014 or 2015, and the website was incorrect. I'll post any response I get from Bachmann which will hopefully resolve the confusion. Bear in mind the other point I made, the rep advised that retailers will not get automatic replacements for the returned Modified Halls of 15 months ago, they will have to re-order

• RMweb Gold

Mike (The Stationmaster), my post 160 covers the query you've raised, the Bachmann rep visiting my local shop on Thursday advised that they were not in stock and unlikely to be until end 2014 or 2015, and the website was incorrect. I'll post any response I get from Bachmann which will hopefully resolve the confusion. Bear in mind the other point I made, the rep advised that retailers will not get automatic replacements for the returned Modified Halls of 15 months ago, they will have to re-order

Definitely something odd going on.  I had it from the horse's mouth (Bachmann themselves) a week or so back exactly as you say, i.e. late this year/early 2015 and I pointed out in reply that they were on the 30 day list and was told that was incorrect (but there were several containers enroute to the UK). SO I assumed they weren't coming and there was an error on the 30 day list, next thing I see is that they're shown as 'in stock' so I then assume that there was no error and they'd turned up in one of the containers.

In the light of your information I do wonder if somebody has been putting some incorrect numbers into their lists at some stage?

• RMweb Premium

The latest Bachmann times has these listed as at the artwork stage which is usually 6 months from delivery I would think early next year for delivery.

Definitely something odd going on.  I had it from the horse's mouth (Bachmann themselves) a week or so back exactly as you say, i.e. late this year/early 2015 and I pointed out in reply that they were on the 30 day list and was told that was incorrect (but there were several containers enroute to the UK). SO I assumed they weren't coming and there was an error on the 30 day list, next thing I see is that they're shown as 'in stock' so I then assume that there was no error and they'd turned up in one of the containers.

In the light of your information I do wonder if somebody has been putting some incorrect numbers into their lists at some stage?

The images on the Bachmann website are new (see 6988 here http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/branchline/31-780.jpg&cat_no=31-780&info=0&width=650&height=231) - the tender on this BR Green Late Crest version is now shown as a Hawksworth one and some of the previously missing detail is now shown, suggesting the artwork stage has been completed. It may still be too early for production models, but they do seem to have progressed much faster than other models.

I've just had a very quick response from Bachmann customer services to my query and they have advised that the Bachmann website is incorrect in showing Swithland Hall and Foremarke Hall as 'received in last 30 days' and 'In Stock'. They will arrange for the website to be amended. The correct position is as we heard at the recent Bachmann 2014 update, the Modified Hall is currently in artwork stage and once agreed will move forward to a production slot, which is expected to be in 2015. As far as the development of these models goes, once Bachmann made a decision to retool the bodies, having had the problem with the Hall and Modified Hall models being produced with some incorrect parts, they presumably didn't have to tool a new chassis, as the recalled models (Swithland Hall and Foremarke Hall) were produced with a new chassis, so I'm assuming the new tooling is for the loco bodies. The tenders were already retooled for the unmodified Hall in 'Blue Riband' format when that was released about 6-8 years ago, so it may not be a significant tooling issue. I believe what has taken time is the company making a decision as to how to correct the original production faults, and late last year I was told by a Bachmann rep that they were going to run off new loco bodies from the original tooling and fit these to the returned chassis. Since then Bachmann appear to have decided to retool the Modified Hall body as I understand it, which I think is the first of the old model upgrades that they have decided to produce newly tooled bodies for.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone have any up to date pictures of these halls yet?

They have to be produced first.

They are due in April/May according to the Bachmann website. I expect that illustrations might be available around the time that Bachmann produce their next edition of the Bachmann Times - the Spring edition should be due shortly after their new products are announced next month.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

They have to be produced first.

They are due in April/May according to the Bachmann website. I expect that illustrations might be available around the time that Bachmann produce their next edition of the Bachmann Times - the Spring edition should be due shortly after their new products are announced next month.

As we're already half way through February, and Chinese New Year is on the 19th, I think we can assume that they have been produced, as otherwise by the time the workers return after the New Year holiday, and new starters are recruited to  replace those who choose not to come back (always a problem in China) there wouldn't be enough time to make the parts, assemble them, and get them to the UK. Possibly the two models that are totally new production, as opposed to just needing new bodies for the chassis that were returned to China will need completing as they show as arriving up to a month later. We could assume that the bodies were all moulded at the same time though as this would keep costs down.

• RMweb Gold

Are Bachmann planning replacement bodies for 6922 Burton Hall ?

I doubt it - the original intention was to reissue both the 'Hall' and the 'Modified Hall' after they'd made a round trip to China to get the faults corrected/be re-manufactured and both were subsequently catalogued for this year.  However the 'Hall' has been dropped and I can but presume that this is to avoid going head-to-head with Hornby's delayed model which was probably likely to beat the Bachmann model into the shops (as has now happened).