08410 rides again!

Ogauge83A

The shunter at Penzance has recently been refurbished and returned to Long Rock depot, a new(ish) duty for the 08 is to haul the empty sleeper stock to and from the station rather than as before when the train loco (57 or 47) just propelled the empties

these are shots of the 08 while working the sleepers and in Penzance station.

http://antony-christ...nwall-2012.html

http://antony-christ...t-penzance.html

Hope you enjoy

Tony C

The shunter at Penzance has recently been refurbished and returned to Long Rock depot, a new(ish) duty for the 08 is to haul the empty sleeper stock to and from the station rather than as before when the train loco (57 or 47) just propelled the empties

these are shots of the 08 while working the sleepers and in Penzance station.

http://antony-christ...nwall-2012.html

http://antony-christ...t-penzance.html

Hope you enjoy

Tony C

Hi Tony C

Some cracking pictures there....I certainly did enjoy them

Cheers Bill

• RMweb Gold

Nice photos! So if I understand this, the 08 is hauling the train with the 57 at the opposite end to avoid a "propelling move" - does this mean the previous practice was to have the train loco on the "wrong end" pushing the entire rake...?

Nice photos! So if I understand this, the 08 is hauling the train with the 57 at the opposite end to avoid a "propelling move" - does this mean the previous practice was to have the train loco on the "wrong end" pushing the entire rake...?

Yes the former way of working was just to have the train loco (57) after arriving at Penzance to just push the empty train towards Long Rock depot, there used to be a person in the end of the coach with radio communication to the driver. (and the same in the evening when the train would push out from the depot to the station)

Ta for the replies :)

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Nothing like a nice shiny Gronk. Interesting to see they seem to have cocked-up the wasp stripes on the rear end top lefthand side. Now there's a prototype for my lousy painting!

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Yes the former way of working was just to have the train loco (57) after arriving at Penzance to just push the empty train towards Long Rock depot, there used to be a person in the end of the coach with radio communication to the driver. (and the same in the evening when the train would push out from the depot to the station)

Should have hauled from depot to the loop between same and station, run round and then propelled into the platform...

Up to ten vehicles can be propelled over Ponsondane Crossing, so there was never an issue with the Beds. Lovely to see the puilot in use again. Strange to think there were 3 driving turns a day on the shunt engine with the Penzance green carded chaps.

How many other terminals can boast a booked class 08 turn these days?

I think 410 should be named, something like: "I've been next to the sea for such a long time I'm going to corrode into bits soon" or just named "LongRock depot"

It's was looking a bit sorry in the faded green though...!

Jack.

• RMweb Premium

The previous Penzance shunter (08644) was named Debbie though after whom I never knew. Perhaps 08410 could be christened Margaret after one of the sleeping car staff who was previously well-known as the bus enquiry office lady and before that a hostess on the overnight Rapide coaches to London.

644 was Debbie for a while after a shunter's girlfriend. Whilst covering for 410's refurb, it did " rust to bits where it stood " with coupling rods falling off and was indeed just " parked up " !

Thinks - St Micheals Mount as its always within view or St Piran as no loco has carried it.

• 1 year later...

Archived