Painting - how do I get a good finish? Lining as well

MJI

• RMweb Premium

I have been modelling for ages, but my weak spot has always been painting.

Tried brushes, aerosols (Precision), and airbrushes.

So far seems to be best if sprayed in garden.

But the finish is still a bit lumpy.

My air brushes are all the cheap glass bottle ones - I have a new one to try but it only fits my compressor - which is too heavy to move from the garage.

I have a one coat of blue covered sp far Lima 117 DMS next to me.

Sprayed with aerosol.

Some lumps (hopefully wet & dry smoothable), and the whole finish is just not quite smooth.

I do tend to use Precision paints for historical reasons ( the factory was in Churchdown, where I went to school ).

Next question is lining, how do I get a straight white line ect on the side of a coach, my repaints always look a little wobbly unfortunately.

Anyway I have a big pile of DMUs to paint and I want a good finish, will even be stripping B430 as the paint is too lumpy and that is of course in chocolate & cream.

As this is letting my modelling down I want to get a lot better.

Thanks

Martin

Kit list

A few Precision aerosols, quite a few Precision tins including large ones of blue & grey.

Humbrol style air brushes with one can of propellant.

Aldi compressor with model air brush as well as the car spray kit (I managed my bumper until someone drove into it).

Hi there,

Getting a good finish when painting is not a single secret but a whole load of small things. You mentioned a "lumpy" finish after spray painting. This is often a sign of insufficient pressure in the aerosol. I have to say that i have not been greatly impressed by aerosols marketed as specific rail colours. The colour match may be good but the aerosol is usually pretty poor.

I tend to use Halfords car paints now as these give a reliable good finish. The gloss finish is also perfect for applying transfers to. Once the tranfers are dry, I varnish them and then seal the whole model with a matt or satin varnish to give a uniform finish. I favour Testors Dullcote for this job but others may prefer something a bit more satin. There was a pretty good list on RMWeb3 of which car paint colours match which railway shades. Unfortunately it seems to be inaccessible at the moment so I have appended the list to the end of this post.

For lining, I tend to use lining transfers. The easiest way I have found to get these reliably straight is to use masking tape to provide a straight edge. Tamiya model masking tape about 9mm wide or more is fairly sturdy and is great for providing a straight edge to work to. Simply position it just above or below the position of the lining and brush the lining transfers up against it. Once they are dry, remove the tape.

Here is an example of a GWR K40 BG in lined maroon using Halfords car paint and lining transfers and masking tape. See what you think.

DSCF3580-1.jpg

MR/LMS/BR red Rover damask red

GWR/BR loco green Rover Brooklands green

GWR/BR loco green Ford laurel green

BR diesel light green band Ford highland green

BR coach carmine Ford rosso red

BR coach cream Vauxhall gazelle beige

BR coach cream (well worn) Peugeot antelope beige

BR diesel blue VW Pargas blue

BR steam loco blue Peugeot royal blue

BR loco yellow warning panel Vauxhall mustard yellow

LNER garter blue/BR diesel blue, but slightly more blue Ford fjord blue, less green

LNER garter blue VW Pargas blue

LMS Coronation Blue Rover Pageant mid-blue

Stanier Coronation blue Peugeot royal blue

GWR or Pullman coach brown Rover russet brown

GWR coach cream Rover Primula yellow

SR dark olive green Land Rover Coniston green

LNWR/LYR coach plum lower panels Daewoo dark red

LNWR coach bluey-white upper panels Daewoo Casablanca white

CR steam loco Peugeot royal blue

SDJR blue Rover midnight blue

CR dark blue Rover midnight blue

Stroudley LBSCR ochre BMC tan

LBSCR umber Vauxhall Brazil brown

N.Staffs maroon Vauxhall Gambia red

NER coach red Vauxhall Gambia red

LYR coach upper panels Plastikote nut brown

I would say, forget normal primer paints. Spray with U-POL Acid #8 Etch Primer from Halfords and leave in a warmish place for an hour. Then spray on Halford car paint ater choosing a match for the railway colour you require (Karhedron gives a comprehensive listing above). The surface finish you obtain should end up as good as the surface you started with.

My equipment is a compressor and pro spraygun so there is no point in mentioning how I go about things, but I do use U-POL #8 etch primer airosils and the stuff is reliable on brass and plastic.

0.5mm to 5mm lining can be found here http://www.alwayshobbies.com/Model-Boats/Flags,-Decals-$4-Lettering/Vinyl-Lining-$4-Sheets/Becc-Vinyl-Lining-Tape-Narrow-0$35-$9-5mm.ice the company (BECC) produce different colours.

If you are determined to do it with paint use Tamiya masking tape. When applied run a wet finger along edges. Someone gave me that tip a few years ago and it seems to work.

Lumpy paint, as above not enough pressure another cause is paint not mixed properly.

Best regards,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Thanks all

My rail blue aerosol is useless - paint is very bumpy - DMU is covered in modelstrip.

I have the car prmer already somewhere, tempted to paint everything Vauxhall Star Silver 2 as I have a lot of it!!!!

Is the blue mentioned Rail Blue?, also any matches for Rail Grey?

The aerosol was not very well pressured, but it sprayed W1953, E1883, and my 128 OK.

I MAY try an airbrush and 50 50 mix white spirit and paint and see what happens before I go to Halfords and try to look anonomous buying colours from strange cars.

Strange I can paint metallics on cars but rail models - none of mine are great.

The paint mix for the air brush sould be like milk, a ratio is ok if the paints all start from the same consistency. also it could be your pressure to low. I do not like white spirit for thinning. It does not evaporate quick enough for my liking. Use the thinners for the paint or celulose.

Do nice light coats do not try to cover in one go, it will not work. I always warm the model to be painted, not to much with plastic or whitemetal.

Straight lines are the easy bit to do. If you set the coach etc up on the table, with a pile of books or a block of wood at each end the same height as the model. This will hold your ruler with no bits dangling around and every thing steady. Then it is easy to draw your line with a bow pen and quite thick gloss paint.

• RMweb Premium

The paint mix for the air brush sould be like milk, a ratio is ok if the paints all start from the same consistency. also it could be your pressure to low. I do not like white spirit for thinning. It does not evaporate quick enough for my liking. Use the thinners for the paint or celulose.

Do nice light coats do not try to cover in one go, it will not work. I always warm the model to be painted, not to much with plastic or whitemetal.

Straight lines are the easy bit to do. If you set the coach etc up on the table, with a pile of books or a block of wood at each end the same height as the model. This will hold your ruler with no bits dangling around and every thing steady. Then it is easy to draw your line with a bow pen and quite thick gloss paint.

OK I will be spraying enamel, what is the best thinner?

I have white spirits and some cellulose thinners. Near to Halfords and Homebase.

Will be spraying polystyrene models

I know cellulose is OK on ABS (bumper).

Just need to find the Aldi fit airbrush kit and my receiver dryer.

Bow pens - this sounds scary, not sure if I could manage the thin white lines on a blue grey vehicle, but then I brush lined a Ratio 4w GWR coach - just not that great.

Thanks

Martin

BTW I hope no one thinks I am silly for asking so much, just that even after over 30 years I still want to get better, I know I am not too old to learn as I am software developer.

I know I will never be as good as a lot you see in the press I just don't want to be embarrassed.

• RMweb Premium

I definately am worried about trying to line in GWR BR(W) lining as I have my first 117 to repaint as it looks pants, brush marks on it.

On plastic it is best not to use celulose. Bow pens are not that scary I had an old cheap one for many years that I had honed down to a finer point, there is a piece on here somewhere about it I thick not by me though. GWR/BR is a bit tricky just needs to be done slowly. The Rathbone book is worth getting. tells you all about it better than I can. spray a sheet of plast or the side of a gallon can and practise your linning on ther it doesn't matter then if it is not good.

Don't be worried about asking questions we all have had to learn.

• RMweb Premium

OK I have done some tests the Aldi airbrush is a bit rubbish so I will see if my Humbol one will fit the adaptor.

I dunk tested a Lima bodysheel section (brake section from the DMS conversion) into cellulose thinners and all was OK.It even washes off the Lima ink.

I am going to risk cellulose thinners if it mixes OK with enamels, I'll test on a bit of wood or something to make sure it doesn't seperate

I thought paint thinners was white spirits.

Cellulose then is too harse, I'll have a nose around Homebase then.

It thins paint but is not a thinners.

I just use it for cleaning out my airbrush and paint brushes

Well got soem Precision thinners and it all sprays well.

Just worried now about the white stripes for the next conversion.

Glad that you managed to spray OK using thinners.

The lines you are talking about are they white stripes or are they very thin? They both can be done but they need to be done differently.

• RMweb Premium

Well I have the following to do.

A few 4mm scale blue grey stock with the thin line between colours.

B430 mock GWR scheme

A couple of Ratio LNWR coaches I have bought the 2 tins to do.

I have coaches I do not have locos to use with!

Bit of a coach obsessive - I even have a web site full of coach info.

I find for coaches a bow pen and thick enamel paint will draw you nice fine lines. If you are not happy with doing it like that, there are transfers from the likes of Fox and HMRS. I take it the western liveryis the BR one withgream at the top and brown at the bottom divided by 2 coach lines?

• RMweb Premium

just out of interest, which of the two versions of br diesel blue would be the best for a freshly painted loco?

I have used Precisison paints since they were based very near my old school.

Visited the factory on numerous occasions

• 2 weeks later...

If you can master the use of a bowpen, you'll never look back.. The real key is lots of practice, & a fairly decent instrument in the first place;- you'll struggle with a cheap one, & become frustrated, so the best bet is to pick up a vintage one, or a quality vintage drawing instrument set.

As far as spraying goes, the better airbrushes are the gravity-fed, internal mix types which give you control over air/paint mix with a single button. I use one that cost about 30 quid on ebay, with precision paints & their quick air-dry thinners, & usually get a great finish every time...

Thanks for posting the link Mark, that lining might just be what I have been looking for to help with my inspection platforms. Thanks again.

There are a couple of manufacturers out there doing the same thing (check out some of the model boat websites like http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ecornwallmodelboats%2eco%2euk%2f&WD=lining&PN=becc%2dvinyl%2dlining%2dnarrow%2ehtml%23aB_2dVLNS#aB_2dVLNS ) I just thought it would let people know what can be found.

Regards,

Mark

Archived