New OO gauge Class 73

Hattons and Rails (at least) now have close-up photos of the models. The Intercity one on Hattons site appears to have dark grey rather than black, although I cannot say with any certainty it is the correct shade.

looks like the fibreglass panels are blue on 73124, which means i will have to do the exhaust cover, windscreen surrounds and now paint the roof! at least the headlight got removed

Agree although it must have been hard to decide what to paint the fb panels. They appear blue on ex-works but quickly changed to a different hue from the rest. As with Lima, Dapol have not managed to replicate the very slight ridge between the fb and the rest fo the roof, but a bit of paint and weathering will solve that.

Having had a good look at the pictures of the 73s, I'm of the opinion that Dapol have produced an excellent model and I'll be purchasing several over time. A few errors have crept in livery-wise, but only the Intercity colouring will put me off; the rest of the releases are good for me. Dapol are to be praised for acting on critiques of the pre-production liveries. The lights issue isn't a problem for those who are happy to alter cv values and it looks like Dapol are acting on the issue immediately.

I look forward to owning several of these locos and hope a new Intercity one is issued at some point.

ADDITIONAL MODEL AVAILABLE - E6007 blue syp grey stripe, no BR arrows

The Hobby Shop, Faversham are showing this model as being available now.  The website states it is a limited addition of 150 models.

I actually clicked "buy" on their site but the cart reported there were none in stock. I'm not sure if that's a problem with their on-line shop or they really have sold them out already.

I actually clicked "buy" on their site but the cart reported there were none in stock. I'm not sure if that's a problem with their on-line shop or they really have sold them out already.

We definitely have stock and the website is working properly at our end... There shouldn't be any problems purchasing

We definitely have stock and the website is working properly at our end... There shouldn't be any problems purchasing

OK, got it now. I was clicking on the FAV001 model rather than the FAV002 with the grey stripe (much preferred anyway!). Thanks for that. :)

With the talk of the correct shade of Grey in Executive livery in reality its a shade of Grey/Brown. The ex works colour has a background of a  dark chocolate with grey in it..

Having gone through some of my pics and my close encounters of these when driving them at Eastleigh.

I have also tried to paste a link to my Flickr site where there are quite a few shots of these but it wont have it for some reason.

post-21243-0-48057600-1449287733_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Wait for them to go into the bargain bin and with the current glut of cheap air-cons yo can make a Gatwick Express rake without costing a fortune ;)

Diesel Electric locomotive

They are both electro-diesels and diesel-electrics.  Correctly described as the former though their diesel traction is the latter.

Well yes, technically they are diesel electric when running in their secondary, much reduced power mode. However I have never heard them generally referred to as diesel electric. They've always been EDs or Electro-Diesels. 

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for letting us know. We DO have stock of E6047 too - the website had an issue!

FAV002 ordered here though I don't see any VAT deduction for a non-EU customer.

Hi,

Thank you for posting those, very useful and highlights the improvements over the Lima effort, especially below the solebar.

Just one observation - not sure about the font used for the number.

When someone who has one has time I'd be interested in whether they have split axles a la Class 22. Wondering how easy an EM conversion would be.

Cheers

Stu

So... which is which? Only joking, of course...

The old Lima model does stand up well though, doesn't it?

Thanks for posting those.

Dapol's offering looks superb. And yes the Lima one does stand up well...did you see the roof grille/fan unit? The Lima one IMHO looks a bit better and pronounced.

• Agree 1

Agreeing with the above posts, the Lima body does stand up very well indeed to comparison, with only minor detail differences, mainly on the roof panels. 

Where there is no comparison is the detail on the underframe equipment and the bogies. Those dreadful Lima sandpipes (perpetuated by Hornby) have all had to be cut off flush on my models as they fouled my third rail installations.

Most of my existing 73s are Lima bodies now running on Hornby chassis, which have decent running qualities. I am only assuming here, but I expect the Dapol one to be superior in both running qualities and pulling power.

• Like 1

Most of my existing 73s are Lima bodies now running on Hornby chassis, which have decent running qualities. I am only assuming here, but I expect the Dapol one to be superior in both running qualities and pulling power.

A little O/T as this is a thread for the Dapol ED, but...

Are the wheels on the Hornby chassis a finer profile than the original Lima "pizza-cutters"?

I just remember the original Lima model bouncing over the chairs on Peco Code 75!

Yes, the wheels are quite a bit finer than the Lima ones, and also of a better material than the brass that Lima used which needed constant cleaning and tarnished if you even looked at it for too long!

Comparison! Think this shows just how good the Lima is for it's age! Undeframe/bogies much better on Dapol. Shame they have gone to all the trouble of the fine grills, which show the circuit board behind! 

Where is the Dapol rubbing plate.

Does it come with one?

Dave

Wait for them to go into the bargain bin and with the current glut of cheap air-cons yo can make a Gatwick Express rake without costing a fortune ;)

They are both electro-diesels and diesel-electrics.  Correctly described as the former though their diesel traction is the latter.

class 73's are classed as electric locomotives as the diesel engine was only an auxiliary source of power for entering and departing non electrified yards. they were not designed for running miles off the juice otherwise they overheated, so Electro diesels is what they are