New OO gauge Class 73

I hope Dapol make a good job of this - they don't really have any pedigree in OO diesels I don't think and have now been entrusted with several important prototypes

2013 - Class 52 Western OO Gauge D&E Model of the Year

2011 - LMS 10000 OO Gauge D&E Model of the Year

2011 - Class 22 - 2nd Place OO Gauge D&E Model

Think they can be trusted tbh.

I hope Dapol make a good job of this - they don't really have any pedigree in OO diesels I don't think and have now been entrusted with several important prototypes

Have you not seen the EP samples? They speak for themselves...Such beauties.

I'm just waiting for a photo confirming that the BR Blue ones won't have the headlight moulding.

Luke

When Dapol have already confirmed that the BR Blue version will not have one, I doubt you'll have to wait. The said that the wrong body was used for the BR Blue version's painted sample and that it won't be done on the production run.

• RMweb Premium

Those diesels that Dapol have made in OO have been very well done. The Western in particular was beautifully done and one of the best diesel models ever produced in OO. For all that the Western is superb I actually prefer the NBL Type 2 simply because I prefer the real item. The headcodes on that model were a disappointment but the shape and body moulding are superbly done and the removable valances was a clever and innovative feature. The fly in the ointment of this argument was that those two models were produced under the stewardship of Dave Jones who has since left Dapol however I do have confidence that Dapol will make a good job of the 73, the pictures released to date look very promising indeed to me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The fly in the ointment of this argument was that those two models were produced under the stewardship of Dave Jones who has since left Dapol however I do have confidence that Dapol will make a good job of the 73, the pictures released to date look very promising indeed to me.

Indeed, and the 73 does look incredibly nice detail-wise - although I am still a little unsure of the cab roof 'dimples'. 

Another concern was the alarming number of livery errors that appeared on the various pre-production models.  Okay, so they are going to correct them - assuming they get the "corrections" right of course - but even so, it surely highlights that someone somewhere isn't paying attention for quite so many glaring errors to appear in the first place?  Let's hope that they get everything right on the final run.

Edited by darkjunglemung

Ah, ok, forgot about the western.....carry on Dapol.....

I thought this thread being discussed again, first since late October would of been to say Dapol have said on social media that the first batch of 73s are on the high seas and due in shops in around two weeks time :)

Indeed, and the 73 does look incredibly nice detail-wise - although I am still a little unsure of the cab roof 'dimples'. 

Another concern was the alarming number of livery errors that appeared on the various pre-production models.  Okay, so they are going to correct them - assuming they get the "corrections" right of course - but even so, it surely highlights that someone somewhere isn't paying attention for quite so many glaring errors to appear in the first place?  Let's hope that they get everything right on the final run.

And we see all the pre-production, first shots, 1st EP, 2nd EP, livery samples etc from say Bachmann? I think Bachmann and others (Hornby) do not release their pre-production in such good faith (we understand they are pre-production) as I am sure there would be the same comments. Hats off to Dapol for consistently releasing images, engaging with their customers and welcoming positive constructive comments directly to them.

I thought this thread being discussed again, first since late October would of been to say Dapol have said on social media that the first batch of 73s are on the high seas and due in shops in around two weeks time :)

I spoke to Dapol the other day and the first batch of class 73 will be out at end of november and the other batch will be out by the middle of december.

And we see all the pre-production, first shots, 1st EP, 2nd EP, livery samples etc from say Bachmann? I think Bachmann and others (Hornby) do not release their pre-production in such good faith (we understand they are pre-production) as I am sure there would be the same comments. Hats off to Dapol for consistently releasing images, engaging with their customers and welcoming positive constructive comments directly to them.

I spoke to Dapol the other day and the first batch of class 73 will be out at end of november and the other batch will be out by the middle of december.

From my experience Bachmann sort out liveries at an early stage producing full colour drawings with Pantones etc.

This means that first production models generally do not have livery issues.

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I think we often overlook the practicalities of manufacturing model trains on the other side of the world.

I have been shown painted samples at Chirk and Barwell that bear little resemblance to what was ordered - wrong fonts, colours etc. Those in the actual factory not only have little idea of what real British trains look like, they often have no idea what the funny squiggles on the sides even mean.

The process can be managed, but that adds to the delay, and everyone is under time pressure. If a livery sample is wrong then you need another to approve; and I know from experience that the factories often aren't keen on producing individual livery samples when their paintshops would rather be painting 10,000 US switchers or something.

cheers

Ben A.

The process can be managed, but that adds to the delay, and everyone is under time pressure. If a livery sample is wrong then you need another to approve; and I know from experience that the factories often aren't keen on producing individual livery samples when their paintshops would rather be painting 10,000 US switchers or something.

This kind of mentality exists in virtually all manufacturing industries, so it's all very well justifying what might be considered as glaring livery errors, but just assuming for one moment those errors were to carry through to the final production and any manufacturer could easily end up with a very large white elephant sitting on their shelves that no one will buy. 

All industries are naturally geared to what makes the most profit in the least time, but at some point, whoever is in charge of the purse strings needs to have their eye firmly on-the-ball.  Careless errors that slip through unchecked cost dearly, and it's a bit late to pick-up on them once the final product hits the shelves. 

Edited by darkjunglemung

• RMweb Premium

All industries are naturally geared to what makes the most profit in the least time, but at some point, whoever is in charge of the purse strings needs to have their eye firmly on-the-ball.  Careless errors that slip through unchecked cost dearly, and it's a bit late to pick-up on them once the final product hits the shelves. 

Indeed.  I am immediately reminded of the first batch of Bachmann 2EPB units which had the carriage numbers transposed.  While I'm sure most were eventually sold that might have cost them dear in discounted prices throughout the supply chain.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed.  I am immediately reminded of the first batch of Bachmann 2EPB units which had the carriage numbers transposed.  While I'm sure most were eventually sold that might have cost them dear in discounted prices throughout the supply chain.

... and cost them even more thanks to them having to manufacture replacement bodies for those who wanted them.

Hello all,

I think we often overlook the practicalities of manufacturing model trains on the other side of the world.

I have been shown painted samples at Chirk and Barwell that bear little resemblance to what was ordered - wrong fonts, colours etc. Those in the actual factory not only have little idea of what real British trains look like, they often have no idea what the funny squiggles on the sides even mean.

cheers

Ben A.

As a general rule, once you correct or alter a livery sample, you're in the lap of the Gods. I think there have always been livery corrections on limited editions - usually Barwell instigated (there were dozens of tiny tweaks requested by Barwell on the Grainflow 37 before we saw it) - but second livery samples are not usually supplied. The only time we've seen more than one livery sample, I think, was the Heljan 128. (CJL)

• RMweb Premium

Here's hoping that they're out for Christmas, be a nice festive present if Dapol get them into the shops. Despite the delays, judging from the photographs floating around the wait will be worth it.

The blue's too blue. The yellow's not yellow enough. The horns are wrong. The windows aren't triangular...

Sorry... just had a quick psychic glimpse into the immediate future of this thread....

:jester:

• Like 2