New OO gauge Class 73

Apologies if anyones mentioned this previously, but after photographing these at Warley I noticed that the Intercity executive one has quite a fundamental livery error. . the executive dark grey has been mistakenly done in black. D'oh!

Other than that, very very impressed. Top loco.

I've ask Hattons about this as I was considering cancelling my pre-order and they believe the sample was correctly painted in executive dark grey? Must admit it looks black in the picture above. Edited by WILLIAM

I missed the 73s on the stand at Warley, I assumed the pics were preproduction models. The Dutch one has the wrong colour roof and the number and arrow are too low under the cab windows. Not too difficult to sort really if renumbering anyway.

Cheers.

What is wrong with roof colour on 73138?

I'm hoping it is the lighting that is causing these concerns...

Edited by WILLIAM

• RMweb Premium

What is wrong with roof colour on 73138?

I'm hoping it is the lighting that is causing these concerns...

That could be the case, the 73s were at the bottom of the display case and so far from the white lights at the top. The NEC lighting can have wierd effects.

The roof should be Executive dark grey, looks a very light grey in picture, plus different grey for translucent roof hatches. Might be a light issue, as I said I missed them on Sat. I did see boxed Dutch examples behind the Dapol stand and thought the grey/yellow sides looked very wrong, but I thought that was due to the light in the hall.

Cheers.

Couple of things I'm not sure about with this model on seeing it up close at Warley

1. The gutter above the front windows looks a fraction to high, but its really difficult to be sure. The BR blue sample showed this to a greater extent when viewed head on

2. The headcode panel looks awful as it appears to have been printed on the inside of the glazing, causing it to look deeply recessed.

The headcode can be sorted as can the reported livery errors.

Apart from that it does the job, might be tempted by one at the right price.

cheers

Shane

Edited by Wolf27

Couple of things I'm not sure about with this model on seeing it up close at Warley

1. The gutter above the front windows looks a fraction to high, but its really difficult to be sure. The BR blue sample showed this to a greater extent when viewed head on

2. The headcode panel looks awful as it appears to have been printed on the inside of the glazing, causing it to look deeply recessed.

The headcode can be sorted as can the reported livery errors.

Apart from that it does the job, might be tempted by one at the right price.

cheers

Shane

i think what causes the gutter to look high on the front is that there appears to be a moulded frame around the glazing which doesn't exist on the real thing to the extent of the model, and should be painted black instead of yellow to represent the rubber, thus reducing the thickness of the yellow above the windscreen. i believe all the photos so far with the exception of E6001 with its errors which i have listed previously, are the pre production models, and no photos of what we are getting yet. a concern is the second mans windscreen wiper not parked on the right side will also bug me

Edited by 47606odin

I know the manufacturers are quite bored with certain elements of the press and modelling community/forums who nit pick their products but they do have to accept this scrutiny will only increase almost in line with the way the price of models rapidly and continually increases! Modellers will be less tolerant of glaring issues and basic mistakes. The manufacturers need to up their game and I know Bachmann have been trying - note how little stock there was on their return stand last weekend, QA has seemingly improved. One thing though while the rest of the UK talks of continual cost deflation the modelling world bucks the trend with continual inflation.

For those interested Gaugemaster tell me with regards to LE 73101 more than 80% are sold and expect the rest to be gone by year end. They have said that the price will increase at some point to £139.95. Possibly once in stock rather than pre-order??? Models will include an etched name plate.

• RMweb Premium

I'm holding off.  There  could be a home for E6039 here.  But.

I'm waiting to hear report of the running and how the item behaves on layouts rather than in glass cases.  And whether the font issues have been corrected albeit that's an easy fix for many of us.  A potential major livery error on one of them is a worry and we'll have to see if it was a trick of the Warley light or all got the "wrong shade of grey".

73s have collector shoes.  The models appear to have these in the paddled-up position for operation off the SR.  They should be lowered and prominently below the beam whether on electric or diesel power at all times when on SR routes as these are all cleared for shoe-gear.

73s have collector shoes.  The models appear to have these in the paddled-up position for operation off the SR.  They should be lowered and prominently below the beam whether on electric or diesel power at all times when on SR routes as these are all cleared for shoe-gear.

the shoes are retracted on diesel, (unless on Auxiliary power IIRC) if the loco has no air, the shoes retract. there is a foot pump for pushing them down in the loco if the batteries are flat too

the shoes are retracted on diesel, (unless on Auxiliary power IIRC) if the loco has no air, the shoes retract. there is a foot pump for pushing them down in the loco if the batteries are flat too

Correct. I can also confirm that it takes the poor secondman about 80-90 pumps to get the shoes lowered when the batteries are flat. Usually at about 4am on a freezing cold snowy January 2nd when the driver's still in the mess room finishing his tea...

• Like 4

Just had a notification from Hattons that my order for the BR green version has been processed, so some versions are in stock 

All four expected in the first batch are in stock at Hatton's.  No pictures yet though.

Is the font on this one correct, by any chance?

Picture here of Hobby Shop's ltd ed: https://twitter.com/TheHobbyShopFav/status/672083953885446144/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Edited by BR(S)

• RMweb Premium

A quote from their website:

"The first 6 of the JB design were painted in the 'electric blue' livery whilst the remainder were painted in the new 'rail blue' corporate livery."

I have no idea if that is correct, I'll leave it to the experts to comment.

The first 6 of the JB design were painted in the 'electric blue' livery

Urban myth I'm afraid, they were all rail blue. The first dozen JB's or so had a light grey solebar band and no BR arrows unlike the majority which had arrows but no band.

At least one well known author has perpetuated this in a book on the ED's though no idea why. There exists somewhere a good colour photo taken at English Electric. It shows a new green class 20, new rail blue ED and a new electric blue AL6 electric. The difference is obvious.

One possible explanation is that while rail blue should be rail blue there were variations. The ED's were conventionally sprayed, the TC's/REP's/VEP's were finished using "airless" spraying and the TC fitted Cromptons brush painted.

Depending on the light etc they could look quite different.

HTH

Stu

Unfortunately no pictures of 73102 on their website yet to confirm bodyside colour.

I contacted Dapol yesterday to confirm the colour of the upper bodysides and Joel very kindly sent me a picture today and the upper bodysides are black not executive grey. From the pictures it looks Like a cracking model and good customer service but the livery is incorrect.

Steve

I contacted Dapol yesterday to confirm the colour of the upper bodysides and Joel very kindly sent me a picture today and the upper bodysides are black not executive grey. From the pictures it looks Like a cracking model and good customer service but the livery is incorrect.

Steve

Are you able to upload the picture here please?