RMweb

New OO gauge Class 73

I am a delighted customer and I am sorry that some are disappointed with their Exec livery - but please understand it is a process which is out of the control Dapol and the disappointment should lie solely with the factory involved.

I really must disagree with this last statement. Dapol are the manufacturer and they are responsible for managing quality and the supply chain just like any other business. The 'buck' stops with them I'm afraid and it is their reputation (and sales) that is tarnished by the poor livery effort on 73102.

Having got the westerns correct colour wise, I don't see why many of these models are off colour. It would have been worth a few months to correct it. I did consider a blue, but am not convinced and agree with others here that it looks purplish. Too short a time passed between the painted prototypes and production beginning I wonder ? Making correction impossible?

The green one looks ok and I have this. Aside that, it is lovely model and a top candidate for diesel or electric model of the year.

I hope gout'masters Pullman one is fine.

I seem to remember that the Hattons LMS 10000 had the wrong numbers of pins (22 as opposed to 21) and this had to be rectified. There was another loco with the same problem as I remember a guy in the shop having to snip off one pin on each model!

Apparently the Pullman locos are due with GM 'in about a week'

The ones I saw at Warley did look OK livery wise. Whether they partner the Hornby liveried pullmans well is of course another question.

Edited by sanspareil

Hornby's and Bachmann's Pullman liveries differ somewhat anyway, and there was some discussion about this elsewhere a while ago. As Hornby's Pullman's are the more suitable ones for the 73, one would hope it matches those rather than Bachmann's interpretation of the livery.

• RMweb Premium

Well it has been well documented that Hornbys version of Pullman Umber is distinctly too dark. This definitely matches up with my own Hornby Pullmans and my Bachmann Pullmans in the Shakespeare Express set. I would imagine they have gone for accuracy over matching up with another manufacturers products.

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the issues with the DCC socket, correct me if i'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the 73 was going to be fitted with a PluX socket rather than a standard 21 pin?

Edited by Geep7

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the issues with the DCC socket, correct me if i'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the 73 was going to be fitted with a PluX socket rather than a standard 21 pin?

Not had a chance to open up my GBRf one yet but the instruction sheet accompaning the loco says it's a 21pin plug. Way back when the model was announced it was planned to have PluX22 socket but it was changed during the development process. PluX seems to have sunk without a trace in the UK market.

• RMweb Gold

Common on the Continent.

The Czech company, MTB use them and have a speaker already fitted in the factory so a Plux sound decoder is just plugged in to the main board and away you go.

I have fitted a 21 pin Howes ESU Soundchip to mine and it works fine (apart from the lighting issues previously mentioned) just remove the fitted blanking plug and refit the soundchip the same as any Bachmann, Hornby, Heljan, etc loco, there is even plenty of room for a speaker.

Best regards,

Kevin.

I have fitted a 21 pin Howes ESU Soundchip to mine and it works fine (apart from the lighting issues previously mentioned)

Sorry, I don't quite understand? Works fine except for the lighting issues? Are these the lighting issues mentioned by Mark201 (where they need disconnecting) or where they operate in the wrong direction unless you change the CV settings? Thanks.

Hi Mark, the pictures are too small to get an good view. Does the paint job do the loco justice or does it look toy like as some of the other 73`s do.

If it is a good as it appears i`ll get one. Many Thanks

Jon 

Might be of use: http://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/mt/Dapol/Dapol-class-73-oo-gauge-locomotives/Dapol-class-73-205-jeanette-in-gbrf-livery-olivias-exclusive/

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 1

My Dapol Class 73 does not have working tail-lights, and the cab interia lights are always on when fitted with a Dcc decoder.

Best regards.

Kevin.

It's normally possible with cab lights to just disconnect a wire to stop them working.  They're not a lighting facility I'm bothered about.

So, to recap on the lighting issues with these models:

*Head lights have been found to work in the wrong direction on DCC, solveable by altering CV29;

*There are no tail lights, but this is by design;

*Cab lights are on all the time on DC and DCC.  Might be able to disconnect wiring for this, but no other solution has been offered so far.

Edited by BR(S)

Andrew, after watching the above video review the chap says he contacted Dapol who confirmed that yes the cab light is on all the time. I personally never use the cab light on my other locos, so if I get one I may just disconnect them. I did have the GBRf 206 on order but have cancelled it and will see what it's like before committing.