New OO gauge Class 73

• RMweb Gold

E6002 in all over green, no yellow ends - March 1962. Scroll down to see the slide - it's a colourail one I think.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35mm-RAILWAY-SLIDE-CLASS-73-E6002-/291586295535?hash=item43e3e5c6ef%3Ag%3Alw0AAOSw5ZBWGS0u&nma=true&si=voASjDZa27izhevjQXY1dZNlC84%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

My understanding is that none of 6 JAs were painted in blue with small yellow panels.

Edit: looks like E6006 did get BSYP, but pretty sure the other JAs didn't.

Some inspiration

15027535181_0b16139f7d_b.jpgStrood Station in the mid 1960s with an early 'E' (E6001 possibly) numbered class 73 seen working a 4B freight. I Cuthbertson collection by Ian Cuthbertson, on Flickr

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 4

Though by 65 it appears to have acquired a grey band

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/f/folkestone_harbour/index3.shtml

down page.

...and by the look of it the grey band only extended along the bodyside edges, whereas on other examples it appears that the grey band continued around the front ends too. 

I hadn't realized that the various liveries of the 73s were such a minefield! :blink:

Edited by darkjunglemung

I hope my next target, 73138 in dutch, has the correct livery as they look like a great model other than the colour issues.

I believe the grey used for the roof of the Dutch version is wrong, ie. being far too light?

Edited by darkjunglemung

• Tempfix

Well although I'm a bit nervous of the arrival of 73102 having read this, I am more than a little envious of those who actually have received theirs. Ordered mine from Hattons months ago, was marked as dispatched by Royal Mail next day delivery last Thursday at 11am, arrived this morning 6 days later (got to love Royal Mail), says 73102 on the box, but has E6003 in the box.

Thanks Hattons. And while I'm here thank you so much for offering to let me pay £129 again to send the right one out faster, because it would be more convenient for me to go to the post office with the wrong one at the weekend and then wait for a refund instead of say doing some Christmas shopping. How very thoughtful.

Come on Gaugemaster - I need the Pullman one to cheer me up!

I think I need a bit of advice from the experts in the collective. The replacement loco arrived from Hattons today. It is actually the one I ordered (a nice touch), but three of the four buffers are pointing in distinctly odd directions. Left hand side at the number one end is pointing upwards by about 10 degrees, the number two end pair are angled inwards towards each other. While the latter isn't as noticible from most angles, I think it would look peculiar when coupled to anything. Still reserving judgement on the colours - but it's the yellow that looks most unusual to my eyes. Doesn't match anything else I own.

Contacted Hattons, they blame Royal Mail (despite there not being a mark on the packaging), have offered a full refund, but won't send out another replacement unless I pay for a third time (which I definitely can't afford), or until they get these two back.

I do still want a mainline liveried one. If I just have the refund and wait, is it likely they'll have another go and do it better? If I do change my mind six months on I'll likely have to pay more since I had the original pre-order price from Hattons that I won't get again, assuming of course that there are any available. Do I just keep this one with the idea that I'll straighten the buffers out if I take it apart to repaint it one day?

And while I'm conducting a poll - is DCC fitted worth it? Never done it before, but thought that with a 16 week old baby here it might be the better way to go rather than fumbling it apart in my sleep deprived state. The first one sent out had the wrong body put back on the loco and the second has clearly been dropped, damaged and sent out anyway! Is this the normal quality to expect for this?

Sorry for rambling. I'm sort of cheesed off, sad, disappointed and ambivalent about the whole thing now.

Rich

Rich,

I have E6003 and the buffers are ok. The heads with spring just pull off. If it is just the head pointing the wrong direction, pull them off and see if the narrow shaft is bent, and try and straighten it. That might be all that is wrong.

Cheers.

Having just received a blue Class 73, I hate to say that I am disappointed. Correct livery is not a technical challenge - it was achievable in the 1980's. This is NOT a cheap model and all of its magnificent detail (and it is really very lovely fine detail in many places) cannot be enjoyed when you see the glaring mistake that has been made with the livery. The warning panel really is a sort of lemon yellow and the blue is just odd. It makes me realise just how good the LIMA model was for its time - unfortunately I sold one in mint coniditon to pay for this :(

If ony Dapol had sent a LIMA model in blue and yellow and told the manufacture 'paint it in the same colours' I am sure they would have struck gold with this model; as it is the £105 price mark is not going to be sustainable, let alone £119. My model is going back.

I don't have the nerve, the will or wherewithal to take an airbrush to something which costs more than the annual road tax on my car, irrespective of repainting it in pristine or weathered condition.

I know that I have a choice and don't need to buy this model but I wanted it to succeed and I wanted to support Dapol - however they have no choice but to go back to the drawing board and find out how they could have scored such a massive own goal and I hope they can salvage something from this.

However I don't think they can - I fear that their supplier finds their volume of business more of an irritation than not and doesn't take them as seriously as they could. The fact the factory is half way around the world is irrelevant - we have internet, we have colour standardisation charts and you can always send the sample by courier :aggressive_mini:

Update: The problem appears to be the type of paint that is being used. The 'lemon effect' is more pronounced under bright white led lighting and it is a slightly wamer yellow (almost acceptable) under fluorescent or warm white leds. I am assuming this is due to fluorescence of the dye in the paint used. There is no problem with my other Bachmann or Hornby models. I feel sorry that Dapol were caught out by this but there it is. I suppose the Heath Robinson solution would be to sell this item with a free packet of incandescent bulbs?

-

Edited by letterspider

All this makes me wonder about cancelling my preorders for 2 class 68s and waiting to see if they get them right before ordering! I'm so glad i held off preordering the 73's i wanted other than the pullmann one for my dad (I hope that one is ok)

I hope Dapol make amends and get it right with the next batch! I wonder if they tried to do far too many liveries all in one go with their own and all the shop commisions! It did seem like far too many all in one go and a lot to manage? perhaps they should have staggered the releases a bit more over a period of time? such a shame as I was so looking forward to these.

Received a Dapol 73 in the post this morning. Excellent service from "The Hobby Shop" in Faversham. Bought one of their Limited Edition E6047 models. Looks very nice and easy to EM. Slightly more expensive than others but a nice touch is a £5 donation to the group restoring and running the real E6047, which I was quite happy with. Here are a couple of shots of the loco. (The Blue looks very light on account of the flash)attachicon.gifE6047 Ltd Ed,.JPGattachicon.gifE6047 Ltd Ed..JPGTo round up this post I found one of my shots of the front end and buffer beam on a 73, to help putting on the extra buffer beam pipework reproduced here.73109 at Stratford Open Day, 11-07-81.attachicon.gifA781C-020.jpgPaul J.

Well hopefully when your Modelshop Class 73 model was delivered the box didn't look like it had been sat on by the delivery driver!

As I was not in when mine was delivered this week and someone else signed for it. Had I been around I would have rejected it as UK Mail had not only damaged the outer box but also the Dapol box containing the Class 73.

Fortunately the Class 73 was undamaged, but I was less than happy as I prefer to keep up all boxes and would like them all in excellent condition in case I want any of my models repainted, or if I have to sell any models in the future.

Luckily, my E6003 which Royal Mail delivered arrived in excellent condition and I'm unsure whether to keep it in the current condition or update it Sir Herbert Walker with Yellow ends.

• RMweb Premium

Got a Blue 73124, and the buffers at one end are pointing distinctly skyward !!

Haven't really studied it in great detail, but i'm fairly sure i'll be able to sort it, but i'm VERY sure I shouldn't have to.

Cheers,

Phil.

• Agree 1

I suspect it's a loose buffer beam, as mine was on E6003. Give it a wiggle! I simply glued mine in the correct plane.

Got a Blue 73124, and the buffers at one end are pointing distinctly skyward !!

Haven't really studied it in great detail, but i'm fairly sure i'll be able to sort it, but i'm VERY sure I shouldn't have to.

Cheers,

Phil.

there is utterly no way to control the final production run turning out with all range of errors....unless you are overviewing production here in the UK.

Sorry but I don't agree with this at all - why can't Dapol send a quality control team over to China to oversee the initial production runs and iron out the issues as they arise? An architect doesn't just hand over the plans for a building to the contractors, and expect them to get everything right - they supervise the important stages of construction to make sure it's done according to the design specification. And that's what should have happened here. And with the livery colour issues, we have international standards systems such as RAL and Pantone for exactly this reason - why is it difficult for Dapol to say 'Colour ref #0901121 to be used here, Colour ref#1822001 to be used here'? - given the importance of precise colour matching in this type of product, it is bizarre for an experienced manufacturer like Dapol to have made this mistake really.

• Like 1

Reading this thread is really quite saddening. 3+ years of hopeful expectation, several months of "Are they here yet?" and now all these problems. I'm estimating 70% disappointment versus 30% satisfaction judging by the last 6 or 7 pages.

I never pre-order anything and I'm mighty glad. I had been dithering about buying one for a while now but sorry Dapol, I no longer want one.

• RMweb Gold

I think that the early green one looks OK and I N at well get o e today.

However I would really like this one, named after our long tine friend a fellow Modeller drinker and layout operator who passed away in June. The new nameplates were unveiled by his family yesterday at Brighton depot. My current plan is to repaint a Hornby one.

post-1557-0-68284200-1449905492_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

I think I need a bit of advice from the experts in the collective. The replacement loco arrived from Hattons today. It is actually the one I ordered (a nice touch), but three of the four buffers are pointing in distinctly odd directions. Left hand side at the number one end is pointing upwards by about 10 degrees, the number two end pair are angled inwards towards each other. While the latter isn't as noticible from most angles, I think it would look peculiar when coupled to anything. Still reserving judgement on the colours - but it's the yellow that looks most unusual to my eyes. Doesn't match anything else I own.

Contacted Hattons, they blame Royal Mail (despite there not being a mark on the packaging), have offered a full refund, but won't send out another replacement unless I pay for a third time (which I definitely can't afford), or until they get these two back.

I do still want a mainline liveried one. If I just have the refund and wait, is it likely they'll have another go and do it better? If I do change my mind six months on I'll likely have to pay more since I had the original pre-order price from Hattons that I won't get again, assuming of course that there are any available. Do I just keep this one with the idea that I'll straighten the buffers out if I take it apart to repaint it one day?

And while I'm conducting a poll - is DCC fitted worth it? Never done it before, but thought that with a 16 week old baby here it might be the better way to go rather than fumbling it apart in my sleep deprived state. The first one sent out had the wrong body put back on the loco and the second has clearly been dropped, damaged and sent out anyway! Is this the normal quality to expect for this?

Sorry for rambling. I'm sort of cheesed off, sad, disappointed and ambivalent about the whole thing now.

Rich

Hi Rich. Just wanted to say I feel your pain. The Exec one is the one I wanted. Only you can decide what is the best course of action to take, but if I had been sent the wrong model and then sent a damaged one I certainly wouldn't expect to be paying yet again, so maybe time to change your retailer (you may not get the £105 + postage = £110ish), but just checking Rails website shows the same model available right now at £119 with free postage so only a tenner more.

On the point of really wanting a mainline liveried one (as do I) you assume the price will go up or the models will no longer be available, but what if the incorrect livery puts people off and they don't sell and the price comes down. Bachmann's mainline liveried class 37 carried the incorrect shade of dark grey and was then sold off cheap in the end and don't forget Modelzone selling Inter-city liveried class 47s for just under £50 a few years ago - and I don't think there was anything wrong with that One.

Fortune favours the bold sometimes..........

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Steve

Whilst I completely agree that models should be correctly assembled when paying so much for them these days, if you feel confident to straighten e buffers then that's what I would do rather than all the hassle of sending it back etc.as long as it runs fine and there are no other faults that would be difficult to rectify.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that shot of 73202.  I must admit I thought I was reasonably familiar with the 73s but I hadn't appreciated that the lower edge of the front windscreen section is not horizontal but has a pronounced camber.

Also, the cab roof on that loco does look more like the Dapol model, giving some credence to the suggestion that they have depicted the locos (possibly because they laser scanned one) with the roofs having "sagged" a little over time.

cheers

Ben A.

Anybody with any experience of the windscreen wipers on all SR rolling stock will know that getting them to even work adequately let alone park properly is haphazarous at best .................................. :O

Not just a Southern problem. DMU's where just as bad. some even had the audacity to park the wipers around the side of the cab. Not even on the window. Controlling the speed of them was just as much a lottery!

Paul J.

• Like 1

They should be 'handed' though shouldn't they? Not just two of the same mould. If I was into the model I'd replace moulded wipers with etched ones anyway,

I'm not sure. I scrutinised the two Flickr link photos that I posted for any sign of them being opposite 'hand' but the blade appears to pivot in the middle on a wiper arm that pivots from a point above the middle of the windows.

That leads me to believe they could be identical on each side, but I'm sure class 73 enthusiasts will correct me if I have it all wrong.