Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

New OO gauge Class 73

If we all forget about the colours applied, what is the actual base model like, in terms of accuracy, motor/haulage capability, quality of the actual product etc? Those are some of the things that I am not really seeing anybody talk about on here besides roof-dimples and running irregularities :)

The model itself is truly very nice indeed - very nicely detailed bodywise, grills, bogies, underframe etc.  Okay, a few people seem to be experiencing small parts falling off, but this isn't unique to any finely detailed model with lots of small added parts, and is very easily rectified with a few minute drops of superglue.

The other issue is buffers glued in at bizarre angles - some pointing inwards, upwards or both!  Again not good and disappointing on an otherwise visually pleasing model.

As far as running is concerned, and whilst I haven't experienced any specific issues, it doesn't however strike me as the most smooth-running model out there, and also seems a little noisy when compared with say Hornby's 60 or any of Bachmann's standard models.  This feels a little disappointing, considering as I seem to recall that Dapol advertised the 73 long ago as having "revolutionary new running characteristics" (or words to that effect).  All that said, I have only briefly test run the one model that I now have and it did seem a little 'dry', so maybe some lubrication and additional running will improve things; although I did have in my possession three other 73s, all with similar running characteristics, albeit these have all now been returned to retailers due to the already well-documented livery blunders.

So in short...  a superb looking model, albeit sporting a laughable number of unforgivable livery errors; whilst running qualities are possibly still open to debate.

Edited by darkjunglemung

Goodness me, a very useful, informative thread this.

I was so looking forward to getting the JA version (BR green) but i think i'll save my money until things improve.

See whilst I see what your saying I actully think that this kind of thread might put people off who would otherwise been perfectly happy with their 73.

However my point is wider than this thread in paticular - personally I appreciate what this and other threads offer but sometimes it needs to be said that 'it's right if it looks right to you'.

Again - I'm not saying it's wrong to state the problems but if you didn't see them in the first place, is it right to be put off?

Edited by James90012

See whilst I see what your saying I actully think that this kind of thread might put people off who would otherwise been perfectly happy with their 73.

However my point is wider than this thread in paticular - personally I appreciate what this and other threads offer but sometimes it needs to be said that 'it's right if it looks right to you'.

Again - I'm not saying it's wrong to state the problems but if you didn't see them in the first place, is it right to be put off?

Speaking as someone who is broadly content with these models, yes it is. I was cautious enough to get the green JA E6003 before I bought the blue JB 73 124. Being broadly content with the models doesn't mean that I'm blind to their failings and I'm grateful to those who have created a bit of a stir about them. If Dapol pays attention, we might end up with much improved models. If not 73s, then 59s and others to come.

An informed decision is always better than an uninformed one.

• RMweb Premium

I think that perhaps the criticism may be going a bit far. I really think the base model is excellent and captures the look of the 73 superbly. Whilst running seems to have been less than great on some examples the one I have is a beautiful runner. Also, I have to say that despite some getting models with bits dropping off that I have absolutely no complaints with mine on that score. And this is I think what is disappointing, if Dapol had paid more attention to QC and colour this model would be a real winner as all of the fundamentals are superb I think. As it is I am hoping the next set of releases do the model justice. This must be painful for the people that designed the model as clearly whoever designed it put a lot of effort into it and did a great job.

I also think that it is a fair point that if people are happy with the colours then that is all that matters. I think it is important to raise this stuff to hopefully send a message to Dapol but equally if people find they're happy with the colours then they should just enjoy their models and let all of the arguments sail on past them.

• Like 1

I don't think that would be the sort of buyer who would be paying over £110 for a model - they would be going for the Hornby/Lima model which has remarkably good detail considering the age of the moulding and is a good deal cheaper.

At this sort of price I (hope) I would be purchasing something that sets itself apart in terms of finer and more accurate detail, better running characteristics - all things which also make the model saleable in future on the 2nd hand market if I eventually sell them

This model is not ticking enough boxes for this price premium.

I had to send back the 73's I pre-ordered and it cost me £11 in postage. Even so I consider myself slightly fortunate the retailer took them back (as it isn't actually their fault). 30 days later and that wouldn't be the case. I am exchanging them for GBRF and Dutch variants only when I hear positive reviews on this thread.

Finally customer feedback is absolutely vital for a good business to develop in the right direction. I suspect the only way train manufacturers differ from other businesses is that they don't invest in focus groups before releasing a product. The irony being I am sure that many modellers would probably volunteer their services for free (or perhaps for a discount on the finished product!)

Should I buy Dapol?

I went for the 22 with it's fine detail and smooth motor. What I got was a very detailed lovely looker. Bits dropped off, windows fell in, lights didn't work, and after running in it began to develop problems and juddered. I sent it back. After two more replacements where similar things happened I decided to give up. £110 for something that didn't run well out of the box was too much.

Should I buy a 73? Does it run smoothly? Do bits fall off? Do the lights work as expected? Is the colour right? Do I pay £ 117?

Dapol are very frustrating.

In my opinion the silence is deafening and requires breaking.  Someone with some clout in Dapol needs to stand up and say "we know there are some issues - this is what we will do to fix them"

It happened when Bachmann released 2EPB units with carriage number transposed and it happened with other loco releases.  What makes Dapol different is that they don't say a word.  And in a private email (which is precisely that - private) they clearly do not wish the matter to be discussed at any other level.

I queried the shade of blue used on the Dapol class 22s which I consider pale and with a hint of light green.  I queried the shade used on the 52s which is dull but closer to the larger manufacturer's offerings.  Now we have a whole range of 73s with livery errors and yet not a word from the manufacturer.  Regarding any of the above, in fact.

The 22s have been weathered to resemble well-used and little-loved locos as they often were in traffic.  The 52s are OK though adrift to my eyes from "Rail Blue" and my single 73 is "too blue" but has come down just a little with a light weathering as that detracts from the large areas of otherwise unrelieved colour.

In short I do not consider the lack of response good enough from a business which has disappointed (at the least) many customers more than once.

I think there is a certain amount of take it or leave it arrogance from some manufacturers which is why you get no response, so really it is up to us as the consumer to vote with our feet.  If we are really not happy about the quality of a product and lack of response or a solution from the manufacturer then we should think twice about ordering and purchasing items from the same manufacturer in the future.

It would also be good if the suppliers of the Limited Edition models sent them back to Dapol if there are errors in the livery rather than just passing them on to the consumer, this may help focus Dapol's mind, although they probably already have the money in the bank so won't care anyway.

Nobody likes criticism but as you say recognition of an issue at least would be appreciated, we can complain as much as we like here but whether anyone from Dapol reads these pages I don't know so maybe it would be better to send all the complaints to them via e-mail or their Facebook page to make sure they get them.

• RMweb Premium

Did I miss something?  Which shade do you mean, as the loco and coaches all seem to vary in terms of their "yellowness"... maybe that was your point?

dmh

There are two shades of yellow on the Network Rail 73138..........

I wonder if they'll get the joint between them in the right place?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Collected 73138 from Hatton's Warehouse earlier. Pictures taken with phone

Hmmm, so the roof on the 'Dutch' liveried version is indeed the wrong colour as per the pre-production sample.

Edited by darkjunglemung

Hmmm, so the roof on the 'Dutch' liveried version is indeed the wrong colour as per the pre-production sample.

Looks the best of the bunch for the ones I would have been after. Not fussed about roof colour as will be weathered. Yellow stripe seems to be correct size and dutch grey looks correct. They've also got the numbers, BR arrow and depot plaque correct, which has changed from the pre-production model. Definitely looking more like it.

Yellow stripe seems to be correct size and dutch grey looks correct. They've also got the numbers, BR arrow and depot plaque correct, which has changed from the pre-production model. Definitely looking more like it.

Sorry; the 'Dutch' grey is too dark (whilst the roof's too light), the yellow body-side is too dark (if only they'd used that for the warning panel) and is several passes over the dark grey base (just feel the layers with a fingertip). The numbers are too low, the arrows should be silver and the Stewarts Lane plaque is too large.

Definitely getting there.

I received my early br blue version today.

For me the livery is spot on the yellow on the cab looks great a first class model. (Im my opinion). As others have said i might be a lucky one mine was not damaged in any way when i opened it. I feel personaly that Dapol have done a brilliant job with the packaging.

I do agree with comments made about the price of the 73s, I feel 100 plus is abit to much

Stuart

I like the look of the Class 73 model for detail as it looks okay to me. But could someone please kindly advise me of the performance of this model in terms of the smoothness and running? As I am considering getting the Intercity looking one with the BR logo on the sides to go with my sole southern Class 419 MLV unit as its a bit lonely on its own ;). I had a positive experience with the Class 52 Western as it was a nice runner but I sold it because of a problem with the paint peeling off :(.

Hadn't noticed the warning flashes... Are they truly that awful? They look like miniature Swiss flags. I hope I'm wrong and the world of model printing hasn't been turned back 30 years ;(

And looking at mbp56125's picture, they've put the newer style one on the side.  Easily covered with a transfer, but . . . 

• RMweb Premium

Talking of the warning flashes, why does it look like the Dutch one, pictured above, has Red/White ones on the cab ends, but a modern Yellow/Black one above the door on the side ?

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Premium

I was going to buy the GBRF pair (205 and 141) but it was a case of would you rather due to the fact I have that many locos on my "list" that I want. In the end they were crossed off and judging by the above reviews and comments it looks like I had a lucky escape.

It's such a shame that Dapol have let people down with this Class 73. They had a real opportunity to improve there reputation with a Class that has lots of livery opportunities and new and improved tooling.

Really hoping that the Class 68s which are due for release in the first quarter of 2016 are to a very high standard seen as the RRP is £118.00!

Least to say I will not be happy if there are livery and paint errors, bits falling off the locos and faults with the electronics.

I like the look of the Class 73 model for detail as it looks okay to me. But could someone please kindly advise me of the performance of this model in terms of the smoothness and running? As I am considering getting the Intercity looking one with the BR logo on the sides to go with my sole southern Class 419 MLV unit as its a bit lonely on its own ;). I had a positive experience with the Class 52 Western as it was a nice runner but I sold it because of a problem with the paint peeling off :(.

Mine runs ok, haulage capability is good but not as good as a Heljan 33, I'm running it on DCC with a Lenz silver chip and i've had no problems over pointwork etc but i have had a few issues with acceleration/deceleration which may be down to the chip? I have a Legomanbiffo sound chip on order which also has the fix for the lighting so i'l wait and see how that behaves.

Graham.

Sorry; the 'Dutch' grey is too dark (whilst the roof's too light), the yellow body-side is too dark (if only they'd used that for the warning panel) and is several passes over the dark grey base (just feel the layers with a fingertip). The numbers are too low, the arrows should be silver and the Stewarts Lane plaque is too large.

Definitely getting there.

Apart from that Andy loves it

Mine runs ok, haulage capability is good but not as good as a Heljan 33, I'm running it on DCC with a Lenz silver chip and i've had no problems over pointwork etc but i have had a few issues with acceleration/deceleration which may be down to the chip? I have a Legomanbiffo sound chip on order which also has the fix for the lighting so i'l wait and see how that behaves.

Graham.

Hello Graham.

Thank you for answering my question on this. As I am looking to stick 6 MkII's behind my model to replicate the old Gatwick Express that was Class 73 worked before the Class 460's took over from them in around 1998-2000 if I remember rightly.

Ash.

Hello Graham.

Thank you for answering my question on this. As I am looking to stick 6 MkII's behind my model to replicate the old Gatwick Express that was Class 73 worked before the Class 460's took over from them in around 1998-2000 if I remember rightly.

Ash.

Hi Ash,

I don't think you'l have any trouble with 6 mk2's, mine handles 7 Hornby pullmans up gradients of 1 in 40 alright.

cheers

Graham.

I was going to buy the GBRF pair (205 and 141)

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but I think that as far as livery application goes that the GBRf variants appear to be the best of the first batch of 73s so far, apart from the yellow warning panels that is...

Edited by darkjunglemung