New OO gauge Class 73

.......and in the first of your 3 pictures above.

I'm not sure.

Having spent a while on the platform staring intently (to the puzzlement of others) it is less that the roof is dimpled, but the fiberglass roof moulding has started to sag. The curvature has changed but at no point has it actually gone concave, which is what I mean by "dimple". 

One advantage of such a low light source is that it throws any variation in to sharp contrast. Even different coats of paint show up as in pic 2a. And difference in the roof it going to be a matter of fractions of a mm in the prototype.

It is mainly the difference in the reflection, stretching / compacting the image.

Luke

I have the gbrf 73205 with Dcc sound it runs fine on the straight track but it stops on my peco streamline insulafrog points and set track points it seems like the front wheels are looseing contact when it touches the plastic in the middle of the points. Have anyone had similar problems.

I have less of a problem with the 'dimples' than other aspects of the model. It's more of a perception issue on both the real thing and the model as there isn't a dimple; there is a plane on the roof at 45 degrees from the corner of the cab to a point behind the horns which is straight whereas either side of that is curved.

The light catches the roof here to give the 'dimple' appearance.

73952ds.jpg

73952h_roof.jpg

When the plane marked by the red line is viewed from a position perpendicular to the red line it can be seen as straight, and that's the same on the model. Some early photographs had light bleed at that point which made it appear concave.

73952e_roof.jpg

Move away from that perpendicular view and to a position where no reflection can be observed around the flattest plane and it looks convex.

73952bs.jpg

However having taken close looks at several examples of the models I feel there's a bit of an uncomfortable transition from the curved main roof area through to this complex area which gives a bit of a 'hump' which can be felt more than seen.

I find the decoration issues very disappointing through. I could have justified three different liveries and would have purchased such but, at present, I have not got the time available for whole body repaints (which is what it would take to properly resolve the mistakes) so I'll leave it until a point where I may have time and maybe future releases will be properly addressed?

That looks a nice prototype to model. Super pics.

Perhaps I'm lucky. I have a green (malachite?) and a rail blue. The green looks superb and the blue, whilst it doesn't look altogether right, I find I can live with it. Whilst I haven't tried fitting decoders, both mine are excellent runners. I remain very pleased with mine.

There has been a lot of argument generally about early/chromatic BR blue, some going so far as to say that any difference from rail blue is due to the colour photography of the day. Looking at the pictures of the early BR blue version, I feel that a DRS logo would not be out of place.

Merry Christmas, Andy. May RM Webbers not act in such a way as to remove your dimples!

I have the gbrf 73205 with Dcc sound it runs fine on the straight track but it stops on my peco streamline insulafrog points and set track points it seems like the front wheels are looseing contact when it touches the plastic in the middle of the points. Have anyone had similar problems.

Yes sadly mine are the same, dos'nt like Peco points especially the double slip!

Charlie

Unwrapped my largo logo version this morning with some trepidation considering all the comments. On the plus side there don't seem to be any loose bits on my model but does look like the couplings are upside down.

I haven't seen many photos of this version so here is one.

post-961-0-94872300-1451042757_thumb.jpg

Am I right in saying that I can fix the headcode light issue with some CV changes (CV33 and 34? for a Hattons DCR chip).

does anybody know why the buffing plates often seen on these (prototypes),on all manner of coaches, on class 90s,91s etc had half the replaceable plates in white or silver and the other half in black?  see the frontal pics in post #981 above

its puzzled me for a while now...........

Edited by ThaneofFife
  • Agree 1

does anybody know why the buffing plates often seen on these (prototypes),on all manner of coaches, on class 90s,91s etc had half the replaceable plates in white or silver and the other half in black?  see the frontal pics in post #981 above

its puzzled me for a while now...........

one side is a steel plate and on the other side is a fibrous wear surface made of an asbestos type material, so when coupled you don't have large steel on steel movement 

Edited by 47606odin
  • Thanks 1

Hi Charlie do u think staying alive capacitor do the trick. I have legobiffoman sound

Yes it would solve that issue, rewiring the cab lights to a function would solve that issue too!  Re the lighting issues our Legomanbiffo decoders have been amended to sort out this issue too.  I have just fitted one here with a standard 20X40 speaker but made its box 50% larger, it is certainly louder that the Bass Reflex but not quite as much bass! 

Got a Blue 73124, and the buffers at one end are pointing distinctly skyward !!

Haven't really studied it in great detail, but i'm fairly sure i'll be able to sort it, but i'm VERY sure I shouldn't have to.

Cheers,

Phil.

Mine too....from Hattons with sound fitted

I just thought...oh yet another less than perfect £239 spent.....

I'm thinking the packaging is the issue...

Jim

• RMweb Premium

That looks a nice prototype to model. Super pics.

I can see a need for an aftermarket conversion kit with the relevant etched (and resin cast) bits to do a NwR Ultra 73/9 (and the same goes for a GBRf 73/9)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I'm thinking the packaging is the issue...

Jim

I sometimes wonder if it's not just the packaging, but the delivery people. A well known courier turned up at wife's work yesterday to drop off some parcels. I saw him in the van "arranging" his next few drops by the sliding door. I'm just glad I had nothing fragile being delivered.

Cheers,

Mick

Some advice from Dapol, who responded promptly and directly to my enquiries...

...As for the paint issues, I would suggest that Dapol be contacted directly.

You're lucky then.  I contacted Dapol via their Facebook page regarding the various livery issues and also mentioning this forum topic.  The message was read the same morning, however there has been absolutely no acknowledgement or response whatsoever.  Maybe if more people actually contacted Dapol directly then we may receive some kind of response regarding the many livery issues? 

It's only my personal viewpoint, however, at the moment this general deathly silence stinks of Dapol simply saying, "let's bury our heads in the sand and hope it all goes away..."

A shame, as the Class 73 is a really nice model, however I won't be buying any further models until they can at least manage to get one example painted in the correct colours.

Edited by darkjunglemung

You're lucky then.  I contacted Dapol via their Facebook page regarding the various livery issues and also mentioning this forum topic.  The message was read the same morning, however there has been absolutely no acknowledgement or response whatsoever.  Maybe if more people actually contacted Dapol directly then we may receive some kind of response regarding the many livery issues? 

It's only my personal viewpoint, however, at the moment this general deathly silence stinks of Dapol simply saying, "let's bury our heads in the sand and hope it all goes away..."

A shame, as the Class 73 is a really nice model, however I won't be buying any further models until they can at least manage to get one example painted in the correct colours.

i commented on their Facebook page when the 73's were announced as hitting the shops, that i want some of those, and they replied in minutes telling me which ones were coming, and as soon as i mentioned the couple (now more) issues i'd noticed nothing but tumble weed

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Although not directly connected with the 73 I think Dapol's recent n gauge class 56 has the wrong shade of BR blue. It doesn't match either their previous n gauge 73s nor anything from Farish. Very disappointed as this model was due for release in September 2014 and the information I was given as to why it was delayed was due to incorrect liveries.

Maybe Dapol need to revisit whatever they use for colour matching with the factory in China as something isn't right. At work we use a system to calculate the colour variance to ensure the product reaches our customers in the correct colour. Maybe the factories should invest in the same or similar technology. If you want to see what I mean visit B&Q's custom paint mixing counter on which there should be an Xrite spectrometer which is used to scan the colour.

Cheers

Paul

If you want to see what I mean visit B&Q's custom paint mixing counter on which there should be an Xrite spectrometer which is used to scan the colour.

Not related to model trains in any way, but loosely on-topic with regard to colour-matching...

Circa 2010, we had air-con installed on a villa we owned in the Canaries. During installation, a rather large chunk of painted render fell off. Once a repair to the render had been effected, we visited a DIY store which had recently proudly invested a small fortune in a paint-matching/mixing machine. We presented a chunk of the old render which was duly scanned and bought a 2.5L pot of the paint. The end result was so unlike what had gone before, that I wouldn't trust one of those mixing/matching contraptions as far as I could throw it. In model terms, it was like trying to patch up BR blue using FGW purple.

Shouldn't it be as simple as Dapol presenting a Pantone chart to the factory and saying "do it in that colour"...?

• RMweb Premium

Not related to model trains in any way, but loosely on-topic with regard to colour-matching...

Circa 2010, we had air-con installed on a villa we owned in the Canaries. During installation, a rather large chunk of painted render fell off. Once a repair to the render had been effected, we visited a DIY store which had recently proudly invested a small fortune in a paint-matching/mixing machine. We presented a chunk of the old render which was duly scanned and bought a 2.5L pot of the paint. The end result was so unlike what had gone before, that I wouldn't trust one of those mixing/matching contraptions as far as I could throw it. In model terms, it was like trying to patch up BR blue using FGW purple.

Shouldn't it be as simple as Dapol presenting a Pantone chart to the factory and saying "do it in that colour"...?

Hi

Then it wasn't setup correctly. We guarantee our product and if we had issues like that we would soon be out of business.

it all depends on the substrate that the colour is applied to so Pantone references don't guarantee correct colour application.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus