RMweb

New OO gauge Class 73

For anyone who has received a Class 73 from the latest batch and hasn't tested it on DCC yet, there appears to be a wiring fault with some.  My Intercity 73136 with the problem referred to a few posts above had to be returned.  A replacement circuit board was tried but it still had the same problem.  Turned out that the wiring had been done incorrectly at the factory, meaning it worked fine on DC but not on DCC as the decoder wasn't connecting correctly to the circuit board.  Now successfully re-wired and on its way back to me.    

With thanks to Cheltenham Model Centre for a great weathering job and help with the fault. 

• Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, BR(S) said:

For anyone who has received a Class 73 from the latest batch and hasn't tested it on DCC yet, there appears to be a wiring fault with some.  My Intercity 73136 with the problem referred to a few posts above had to be returned.  A replacement circuit board was tried but it still had the same problem.  Turned out that the wiring had been done incorrectly at the factory, meaning it worked fine on DC but not on DCC as the decoder wasn't connecting correctly to the circuit board.  Now successfully re-wired and on its way back to me.    

With thanks to Cheltenham Model Centre for a great weathering job and help with the fault. 

Im guessing the ones that come prefitted with either a normal decoder or a sound decoder will have actually been tested at the factory after the installation of the decoder?

9 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Is there any knowledge around as to what in the wiring is amiss, such that with a look inside I would be able to tell if the problem was present or not?

I haven't got any details as the retailer sorted it for me. They just said the motor wires had been connected to the pick-ups and pick-up wires to motor, but I don't know if there was anything else.

• Thanks 1

On 18/01/2023 at 23:05, Ian J. said:

Is there any knowledge around as to what in the wiring is amiss, such that with a look inside I would be able to tell if the problem was present or not?

Unfortunately not just by looking. There are 6 wires, five black and one red. Only by following them back to where they came from was it clear they had been soldered to the wrong places on the board. Looked at another two and they were both the same, suspect with 5 black wires and where they come from not visible once the loco is assembled it would be easy to attach to the wrong place.

James

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

Just received my 73 126, one of the locos I actually worked on so I was well pleased to get it.

Couple of issues.

Motor is drawing around 300mA still to run in of course.

No manual supplied so I can check things and fit detail parts.

No buffing bar? EH? nope, is that a spare part to fit?

Light are good if only they could arrange a moving roller blind lol

• Like 1

On 26/01/2023 at 22:10, Cheltenham Model Centre said:

Unfortunately not just by looking. There are 6 wires, five black and one red. Only by following them back to where they came from was it clear they had been soldered to the wrong places on the board. Looked at another two and they were both the same, suspect with 5 black wires and where they come from not visible once the loco is assembled it would be easy to attach to the wrong place.

James

Argh, so frustrating. I'm on dc but will be building a new layout on dcc by the end of the year. Will be frustrating if I find that my issue-free loco has been hiding a large problem all the time. 

41 minutes ago, Dan Griffin said:

i have found a fault with my 73136. the holes for the buffing plate are not positioned correctly. meaning the buffing plate fouls the buffers on the right hand side looking at the loco face on. 

anyone else found this?

Just checked mine but both ends are fine.

Sorry if this has been posted on here already. Has Dapol manufactured any extra blue shells to replace the livery error in the first batch? Apparently not? Another problem is I am seeing BR blue 73 on sale in many outlets but I forget which running numbers are new tooling...

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/01/2023 at 13:55, meatloaf said:

Im guessing the ones that come prefitted with either a normal decoder or a sound decoder will have actually been tested at the factory after the installation of the decoder?

If they did, they must have imagined the sound on my pre sound fitted JA. The box was well marked tested too.

This was a DCC sound fitted one (The JA in blue below).

It move forwards and backwards ok. The lighting was brilliant.

But she was silent....

One of the speaker wires was not soldered in place. The other looked to have a cold joint.

Once re-soldered, she lit up with wonderful music.

A wonderful 73 under DCC control.

73_04.jpg

73_05.jpg

• Like 2

On 20/03/2023 at 18:33, mikesndbs said:

Hi guys

Just received my 73 126, one of the locos I actually worked on so I was well pleased to get it.

Couple of issues.

Motor is drawing around 300mA still to run in of course.

No manual supplied so I can check things and fit detail parts.

No buffing bar? EH? nope, is that a spare part to fit?

Light are good if only they could arrange a moving roller blind lol

Hi,

I got 450ma @12V DC with one Ist batch Dapol OO 74 and 600ma @12V DC with another.

I think my Dapol Class 121 DMU was similar.

A long way from the Bachmann LMS Crab with 140ma @12V DC (the lowest current consumption loco @ 12V I've measured so far).

All tests on Gaugemaster  LT rolling road. Higher currents when switching directly from 0V to 12V.

I think all my Ist batch Dapol O 73s had wiring faults (and Lime Green 'yellow' warning ends).

Regards

Nick

Edited by NIK

• RMweb Gold

Southern 73202 is no more.

Dave Berry / Geoff Stenning is off to GBRF today.

Afaik it goes into history after leaving SL today as the last mainline loco allocated to a depot in London… thats probably a first since the 1830’s that a mainline loco has not had a home-base in London….

The next candidates could be the CS 92’s ? If Wembley yard counts ?,  or the 57/6’s at Reading…, maybe 86259 at Rugby, But CW, WN, FP, OC, SL, HG, Bricklayers Arms, Nine Elms, IL, SF all without a mainline loco… everything else is just passing through a stabling point.

London doesnt have any mainline locos any more.. just a few 08’s and arguably 35028.

73202 headed to GBRF at St Leonards this afternoon. Arguably the last 12 years its been the least used of all the mainline 73’s, ive never seen it coupled to anything, and its pretty much been a driver  trainer.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Can anyone tell me how to remove the cab from the Dapol class 73 please? Mine is 4D-006-010 with the running number E6004. This may be covered in previous posts on this thread but there's 89 pages to trawl through so a fresh entry will be quicker.

Paul.

8 hours ago, Paul_C said:

Can anyone tell me how to remove the cab from the Dapol class 73 please? Mine is 4D-006-010 with the running number E6004. This may be covered in previous posts on this thread but there's 89 pages to trawl through so a fresh entry will be quicker.

Paul.

There are clips that hold the cab in place using the glazing, simply pull them out and the cab will release

NL

Thank you Nick, it's all done. I searched through my many boxes and found the paperwork that came with the model and there is a very good descriptive section giving very detailed instructions on how to remove the cab and the headcode panel.

I took it apart without any problems and was able to fit the new code and a two man crew. Thanks Nick.

Paul.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've gone ahead and bought myself one of the new-run 73's (72120 in BR Blue) digitally fitted, but on first testing it, i've noticed that the cab light, once F4 is switched on, changes with direction, whereas the headcode panel lights, are switched on individually by F2 and F3. Nothing wrong with the model, and i'm presuming this has been done deliberately by Dapol, but it doesn't fit with everything else I own, where the headlights / headcode panels change with directions. So i'm wondering if this is something hard-wired into the PCB board, or something I could change in the CV's via DecoderPro, so that the headcodes change with direction, and the cab lights by F2 and F3?

• RMweb Premium
On 14/04/2023 at 19:06, adb968008 said:

Southern 73202 is no more.

Dave Berry / Geoff Stenning is off to GBRF today.

Afaik it goes into history after leaving SL today as the last mainline loco allocated to a depot in London… thats probably a first since the 1830’s that a mainline loco has not had a home-base in London….

The next candidates could be the CS 92’s ? If Wembley yard counts ?,  or the 57/6’s at Reading…, maybe 86259 at Rugby, But CW, WN, FP, OC, SL, HG, Bricklayers Arms, Nine Elms, IL, SF all without a mainline loco… everything else is just passing through a stabling point.

London doesnt have any mainline locos any more.. just a few 08’s and arguably 35028.

73202 headed to GBRF at St Leonards this afternoon. Arguably the last 12 years its been the least used of all the mainline 73’s, ive never seen it coupled to anything, and its pretty much been a driver  trainer.

What about Southall’s 33s?

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, amwells said:

What about Southall’s 33s?

Allocated to Carnforth wcrc.

Southalls a stabling point.

Admittedly theyve been dumped there quite a long time..

looking online suggests…

33025 Oct 2022

33029 Sept 2022

33207 looks like Jan 2022, but maybe Dec 2021.

They all carry a 10A sticker.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

73202 has made it through the hedge and out the otherside…

73202 Tonbridge, 07/05/23

(Flickr url / not mine).

maybe gbrf will pick up 73235 as well, give it a bogie swap with a stored one at Eastleigh and hey presto a second one ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1

On 24/04/2023 at 12:00, Geep7 said:

I've gone ahead and bought myself one of the new-run 73's (72120 in BR Blue) digitally fitted, but on first testing it, i've noticed that the cab light, once F4 is switched on, changes with direction, whereas the headcode panel lights, are switched on individually by F2 and F3. Nothing wrong with the model, and i'm presuming this has been done deliberately by Dapol, but it doesn't fit with everything else I own, where the headlights / headcode panels change with directions. So i'm wondering if this is something hard-wired into the PCB board, or something I could change in the CV's via DecoderPro, so that the headcodes change with direction, and the cab lights by F2 and F3?

This is deliberate because the Class 73s in real life have backlit blinds which (depending on whether the engine is running 'light'; hauling, or pushing) may have both, one, other or neither blind illuminated. So making them individually switchable is very sensible.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1