Bachmann price increases

DelticBlade

I was having a look at the TMC website this morning and noticed that the price for the Conflat match wagon was now £12.70.

Move on to this afternoon and an email arrived from TMC about price increases on all Bachmann Limited Editions being sold by TMC. As a result of this I phoned to check the status of my order etc. The TMC person was very helpful.

A bit cheesed off by the price rise (which i understand) especially as they have already taken my cash for the items. By all means increase the price, but pre orders should be honoured at the lower price. Oh well will have to do with a pint or two less that week!

Paul

I'm more than a bit cheesed off by the price rise - over 27% on the conflat and nearly 15% on a pair of horseboxes. Like Paul I feel that pre orders should be honoured especially as TMC have had my cash since last July. A good number of retailers are honouring pre order prices even without an up front payment so this has left me thinking where to place any future orders.

....... cheesed off ..........over 27% on the conflat ........... TMC have had my cash since last July........thinking where to place any future orders.

Ditto!

RP

• RMweb Gold

With the current price escalations, I must get on with a bit more kit bashing on damaged items I bought for a small amounts from shops and shows, plus some old kits and spare parts from my workbox. Recon I'm turning out wagons for about 1/3 of the list price of RTR standard stuff. Biggest expense is replacement wheels and couplings where needed.

So far produced 7 x 16T minerals, an ex-LMS CCT, 2 x ventilated vans, 2 x Steel Opens, and 2 x ex-GWR Cattle wagons. Now started on an internal user Iron Mink and a couple of Meat Vans. Coming shortly an ex-GWR Python-based tool van.

Besides that it's much more enjoyable than opening a box.

Sounds more than cheeky to try and charge extra to those who have already paid upfront, bordering on illegal. It's one of the good reasons why retailers should not charge upfront for items that they do not yet have in their possession if they are not prepared to honour the binding contract to supply the goods at the preagreed (and paid for) price.

The way that TMC seem to be handling this is pretty poor. I have over the years bought a great many special commissions from a large number of different shops and other causes because I feel that those who take a risk on a more unusual item should be rewarded and supported. However at £12+ for a conflat, plus the increases on the horseboxes too I have decided not to proceed with my own order.

I wonder if this is the manufacturer cutting dicounts to certain retaillers and they have realised to make anything they must pass on the costs.

Without looking on the site why not compare the prices to those listed as suggested by the manufacturer, I suspect these are still a discounted figure.

There is a thread on here about getting box shifters to sell items at closer to the suggested prices so the smaller shops get a fair bite of the cherry. Perhaps this is a sign of things to come.....

Without looking on the site why not compare the prices to those listed as suggested by the manufacturer, I suspect these are still a discounted figure.

Uh?

Move on to this afternoon and an email arrived from TMC about price increases on all Bachmann Limited Editions being sold by TMC

I wonder if this is the manufacturer cutting dicounts to certain retaillers and they have realised to make anything they must pass on the costs.

Bit of a wild speculation that, methinks... :unsure:

There is a thread on here about getting box shifters to sell items at closer to the suggested prices so the smaller shops get a fair bite of the cherry. Perhaps this is a sign of things to come.....

This is about TMC who have commissioned Bachmann to produce some models exclusive to them. They are not available from anyone else.

Now Bachmann have increased their prices and TMC despite taking peoples money have decided to put the price up before the goods have been delivered, which is a bit naughty.

i can understand the price rise, but TMC have had my cash since July 2011 and now want more. By all means adjust the price for the unreserved ones but when people have already paid...

Paul

TMC can (and have) increased the price of the limited editions between taking deposits (whether it was for the full price or not it is still a deposit) and the models becoming available.

This is perfectly legal and is NOT illegal or underhand or any of the other phrases that fit.

But (and there is always a but) it does show (to me at least) the level of consideration that TMC hold for their customers, some companies would honour the pre-order price, others wouldnt.

Who customers decide to deal with is up to them but bear in mind the service you have received/ can expect from them.

Edit-

As Paul has stated above, TMC have had his money for nearly a year, if TMC wish to advertise things that early (and take peoples money) then that is their prerogative, but to then expect those trusting/ loyal customers to pay more is a bit naughty I think.

Guest Max Stafford

I should think it'll cost them somewhat in lost goodwill and future orders unless they offer something radical.

Dave.

Dont forget that TMC are charging 100% markup or even more (who knows?) on all items they are selling as well. Unless they are not like every other normal retailer that I am aware of ??

In view of this they are just being greedy.

The price they charge for a simple renumber and rename is also a total rip off and taking advantage of people without the skills/knowledge of a very simple process.

Ask for a refund IMHO

Can't decide whether to ask for a refund now or wait till they are in stock let them chase me for the extra couple of quid wasting time and money and then cancel the order. I appreciate Bachmann have increased the price but I would have thought they would honor the pre-order price and increase for new buyers. No other shop has done this hattons haven't asked for an extra 20quid for the blue pullman I have pre- ordered!

mark

Guest dubdee1000

TMC can (and have) increased the price of the limited editions between taking deposits (whether it was for the full price or not it is still a deposit) and the models becoming available.

This is perfectly legal and is NOT illegal or underhand or any of the other phrases that fit.

Not quite. Its depends on the wording of the contract at the time the money changed hands; the point at which the 'offer is accepted'.

If the wording on the contract stated that the supply of x will cost £y, then it is a breach of contract to then go back on this. However, what compensation you'll get for a breach of contract depends on what conditions for 'compensation' were in the contract in the first place. I suspect none, therefore you're likely to get nothing and you'd have to go to court to prove your 'loss'.

Moreover, it is more likely that the contract for goods will state something along the lines of 'the final price to be paid will be that on the day of despatch' In other words, consider the money you forked out a year ago was a deposit rather than a payment.

All said, rather shabby goodwill to take your money for a considerable period and then put you over a barrel - 'pay more or you don't get it' Perhaps something we should all keep in mind with regards advance orders?

Bearing in mind that the Bachmann products offered by TMC last July were originally intended for delivery "forth quarter 2011", one can only speculate on the nature of the contract between TMC and Bachmann. In contrast to TMC's handling of this matter, consider Kernow's exclusive class 205 models. The prices of the first batch were revised downward when the contract was switched to Bachmann from Dapol. The prices for the second batch were also expected to be lower but still to be finalised due to fair and obvious reasons. One of the livery options from each batch were switched. The cost of both units were to be honoured at the "first batch" price.

As has been said on this and other threads, there is a matter of goodwill at play here and I wonder if the price of that is to be revised?

RP

As has been said on this and other threads, there is a matter of goodwill at play here and I wonder if the price of that is to be revised?

In my experience Roy, goodwill is one of those commodities that nobody knows the price of, but some still manage to assess the value of. This horsebox was going to be a 'discretionary purchase' for me, it's now slipped into the 'wait and see if it becomes a mainstream release' category.

There is absolutely no excuse for raising an advertised and agreed price after a deposit has been made, and if a 'pre-order' has been made the pre-order should specify the price to be paid, and not changed unless by agreement.

If a seller raised a price after I pre-ordered, but paid no money, I would judge the case on its merits; time elapsed, clear cost increases to seller, and so on, but would be unwilling to fulfill MY side of the pre-order, and quite likely NOT purchase the item if I so choose.

In any event, buying and selling is always by agreement.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

As a matter of principle I refused to pay the extra that was essentially demanded from me by TMC. I quote from an exchange of emails,

I'm not going to have an argument about this. The option is to either pay the £5.42 or cancel the order.

Considering I had ordered and paid for the two trucks only the month before, in March 2012, this was an ultimatum that I felt was unreasonable and best ignored for the moment. Apparently my order was cancelled by them on 16th April 2012 and I await a refund to my credit card.

An unreasonable and rude service from TMC.

What about the price agreed between TMC and Bachmann in the first place? Would it not have been agreed at contract signing so wonder how TMC feel about that?

The terms of the contract are something we're not party to, speculation about it isnt particularly helpful to either party IMHO. It's only partly relevant anyway because as somebody has already said, the TMC increase is far more than Bachmann's own 12.5%.

Archived