GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) TPO

I made a double slip in 4mm OO gauge for Shipston.  It was an interesting experience but I expect it will be easier in 7mm scale.  It would have been quicker and easier to build two turnouts back to back but I didn't have the room.  I also found that after mastering Templot it was very easy to forget everything I had learned in a matter of weeks.

Edit to add that Templot is invaluable!

Paul

Edited by Focalplane

Hello Paul,  l cant remember what l did yesterday never mind months ago (Hahaha) its our age mate, l am sixty six now and getting worse by the day, anyway rant over, my flexible track arrived from 'Marcway' today and l am very pleased with it and it looks great, so with the point drawing finally on board l can get on with things...

post-7716-0-22678800-1537459880_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-60034500-1537460126_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Hello Paul,  l cant remember what l did yesterday never mind months ago (Hahaha) its our age mate, l am sixty six now and getting worse by the day, anyway rant over, my flexible track arrived from 'Marcway' today and l am very pleased with it and it looks great, so with the point drawing finally on board l can get on with things...

Don't forget the TWO Class 37's you owe me then mate. :no:  :no:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :onthequiet:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

I thought it was three, hahaha sounds like you have had a busy day mate any more pics.....

Pics tomorrow now mate, it's chucking it down here, so nice and warm and cosy in my chair.

I will have my Backscene to fit and some points to modify and lay at Dore End Yard.

• Like 1

Very goos mate, Cav / RBE printed mine out for Bitton in OO many moons ago, well actually ONLY about 4 years ago as the Shed wasnt finished until about Nov 2014. How many Layouts have come and gone since then?

Frightening hahaha

Just had a look, and although many weren't finished here we go.

And considering the Old Potting Shed has only been up and finished since about November 2014 / less that 4 years ago, I've had

Bitton,

Whittaker St,

Bristol Victoria,

Pencarne Junction,

Pencarne,

West Shed,

Porth Merryn,

Trewithen,

Kings Moreton,

Pen Y Bont.

Beale St,

Trecarne,

Kingsford North Yard and Depot,

I think that's all. :sungum: 

Oh, and of course, Seven Mill Sidings. :stinker: 

• Like 2

At last thank God, l have found out (after 3 hours) how to use 'Templot ' well good enough to print out some left and right hand points that is, need to work out a double slip next...

Hi George.

To make a double slip, start off with a turnout of suitable size, goto the 'tools' menu, in the drop down select 'make slip', then select type of slip, double, single etc from the list of options. 

Easy eh.

Looks like a lot of fun coming up mate, especially on isolation and frog wiring.

Looking forward to the challenge, but l won't start anything just yet get the holiday out of the way first, and then l will go for it...l think the double slip will be the biggest challenge ?...

Thank you very much Ray for the help, took a few minutes to print one out (even tho l'm still half asleep)....

PS What locomotive kit are you going to build .

Hi George,

I did consider a Finney M7,  or a Connoisseur O2 when i was at Telford but had other priorities at the time. 

I'm now more leaning towards a Western Region layout so will be having a rethink. All depends on whats available.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you very much Ray for the help, took a few minutes to print one out

Hi George,

It's difficult to be sure from the photo, but I think you have created a curved double slip. If that was what you wanted, that's fine.

If not, you need to start with a turnout corresponding to the size of slip needed. For example a straight 1:7 turnout creates a straight 1:7 slip. A curved 1:8 turnout creates a curved 1:8 slip (on the same outer radius).

If you are new to Templot and handbuilt track, you may not be familiar with the idea that anything you create can be on a straight or on a curve to any radius, just like the prototype.

p.s. 3 hours? Did you watch this video: https://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=uHfRyKwVkl1qfdzC5Az3HA2

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne

Hi George,

I did consider a Finney M7,  or a Connoisseur O2 when i was at Telford but had other priorities at the time. 

I'm now more leaning towards a Western Region layout so will be having a rethink. All depends on whats available.

Hello Ray, Why not save yourself a lot of bother and time there are plenty of RTR  GWR/BR locos for much less than kit building them, the average kit will cost between £200-£300 + Wheels £80 + motor £80 little short of £500 then if you want sound another £100 l bought a Minerva pannier tank WITH SOUND £299  no brainer ?

Hi George,

It's difficult to be sure from the photo, but I think you have created a curved double slip. If that was what you wanted, that's fine.

If not, you need to start with a turnout corresponding to the size of slip needed. For example a straight 1:7 turnout creates a straight 1:7 slip. A curved 1:8 turnout creates a curved 1:8 slip (on the same outer radius).

If you are new to Templot and handbuilt track, you may not be familiar with the idea that anything you create can be on a straight or on a curve to any radius, just like the prototype.

p.s. 3 hours? Did you watch this video: https://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=uHfRyKwVkl1qfdzC5Az3HA2

cheers,

Martin.

Thanks for the help Martin, it has helped me get the correct double slip l needed....

Hello Ray, Why not save yourself a lot of bother and time there are plenty of RTR  GWR/BR locos for much less than kit building them, the average kit will cost between £200-£300 + Wheels £80 + motor £80 little short of £500 then if you want sound another £100 l bought a Minerva pannier tank WITH SOUND £299  no brainer ?

I think your right George. Already have a Dapol (ex Loinheart) 64xx Pannier in early BR, a A1X in Southern Wartime Black to be re-branded into early BR plus a Tower Brass (San Cheng) 87xx Pannier that i picked up of ebay for a song that needs a full paint job. Dapol are supposed to be releasing a 14xx in the next month or two so i guess with that i'll have enough locos without have to resort to building.

Now what about some coaches..............

• Like 1

Hi Ray, l have been building kits and scratch building for past nine years as you know in 0 gauge, but l think those days are going fast, just look at the quality of the locos that Heljan and Dapol are bringing out now, just have a close look at the finish of the locos you already own, you could not match the quality honestly they run nice straight out of the box, what more do you want ?

Just add a crew and some coal, bit of weathering and you will have a lovely loco, you ask about coaches someone is bringing out some nice ones around £160 with no soldering, forming, painting just take them out of the box job done..

• Like 2

Hi Ray, l have been building kits and scratch building for past nine years as you know in 0 gauge, but l think those days are going fast, just look at the quality of the locos that Heljan and Dapol are bringing out now, just have a close look at the finish of the locos you already own, you could not match the quality honestly they run nice straight out of the box, what more do you want ?

Just add a crew and some coal, bit of weathering and you will have a lovely loco, you ask about coaches someone is bringing out some nice ones around £160 with no soldering, forming, painting just take them out of the box job done..

All very valid points....but the downside is that the rolling stock on everyone's layouts will tend to look the same, which is why I got out of 4mm scale 40+ years ago.

Ray (a different one!)

• Like 1

That's ok George if they make RTR to what you want. I think we are in for a lot of O gauge western based layouts. Like it was in The 60s and 70 in oo. For me personally there are only a few PO wagons I could use. I don't think I will ever be able to buy a RTR LSWR X6 or A12 to pull my rtr LSWR corridor stock.