GeorgeT's (7mm Workbench) TPO

Hi Bob the silly things we do ? I remember a visit to woodhams scrap yard Barry in 1970 and took about three rolls of slide film where most steam locos were captured, then went and sold them....ldiot...

Finished the utility van and thinking of getting the correct buffers l really enjoyed something different to build, next on the bench is an Adams 02 in the Southern days on the isle of white...

post-7716-0-90619700-1521476861_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-98034200-1521476961_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-25535200-1521477047_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-28719600-1521477215_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Morning lan, The answer to your question is When l learn how to work my latest gadget ? then l can punch the rivets out nice and straight, had a little play and the results are good, need more practice...

post-7716-0-85823700-1521532588_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-59933400-1521532685_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Morning lan, The answer to your question is When l learn how to work my latest gadget ? then l can punch the rivets out nice and straight, had a little play and the results are good, need more practice...

I know nothing about such technical things mate, but I'm guessing it only work on flat plate from the back of a sheet, so needing to work out where the Rivets go before starting the Kit / Scratch Build.

Nice piece of kit there George. 

One of the chaps from our club has a much smaller device, but finds it very useful. 

Kind regards,

Nick

Cheers Nick, It is very nice but l need to play with it to get it to work for me, as l hate hammering half etched rivets l can never get them to look good, but things will change hopefully, Hahahaha

I know nothing about such technical things mate, but I'm guessing it only work on flat plate from the back of a sheet, so needing to work out where the Rivets go before starting the Kit / Scratch Build.

It is a lovely gadget also has a moving table where you can move in all directions, l will have a good play with it today, (when the chores are done), Hahahaha

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Nick, It is very nice but l need to play with it to get it to work for me, as l hate hammering half etched rivets l can never get them to look good, but things will change hopefully, Hahahaha

Years ago (aged 14, or so at the time) when I first dabbled in finescale 00, I used a nail and a tap hammer to create a 'rivet'. Not knowing how much pressure to apply, nor testing it on a duff piece of metal, I went straight through the W iron! Lesson learnt - D'oh! 

Regards,

Nick.

Hello Nick, l hate tapping out all the rivets by hand l just can't get them to look uniformed as they all look different, l have been playing with this press all day and still can't work it out, as this press is on loan 'l am thinking of buying my own press, possibly the one made by GW Models ?

• Like 1

Morning Jacob, The problem l have is when l punch out a rivet the brass stays stuck in the anvil

so stops the table from moving l then have to lift the brass out losing my position, frustrating

Morning Jacob, The problem l have is when l punch out a rivet the brass stays stuck in the anvil

so stops the table from moving l then have to lift the brass out losing my position, frustrating

George,

I have a recently acquired Leakey Lee riveter, I found that if I placed a piece of thin card between the metal and anvil it helped to stop that happening. Its fine for thin metal but not needed with the thicker stuff.

Grahame

Thanks for the demonstration tonight with your riveter lan it was very good, but as l have said l have taken the plunge and gone for the GW Models one, he doesn't take cards, so l have had to send a cheque, so l will have to wait for it to clear so should have at the end of next week... then hopefully l can start the schools class ?...

• Like 1

Thanks for the demonstration tonight with your riveter lan it was very good, but as l have said l have taken the plunge and gone for the GW Models one, he doesn't take cards, so l have had to send a cheque, so l will have to wait for it to clear so should have at the end of next week... then hopefully l can start the schools class ?...

I'm looking forward to seeing the results mate.

Hello Andy,  As you know l have been scratch building for some time now and the only thing that lets my models down l think is the lack of rivets, l have tried Archers resin transfers for the rivets but l made a right mess of them and did not bother with them anymore, so hopefully the new rivet press will make the difference, l will certainly try anyway...l fancy another un-rebuilt Bulleid with rivets this time ?