ModelRail USTC 0-6-0 Tank Loco Project USA

Andy Y

If anyone else wants to report this to eBay, search on eBay for Model Rail USA and put it in your Watch List. (the item number is 381139886569).

Then, in the Help & Contact section, do a search on Report a Listing Violation.

It's not a straightforward process. I get the impression it's not designed to encourage use.

So what was the picture of then? Is the H0 model available in BR livery, was it a repainted H0 model, or a purloined pre-production picture of the yet-to-be released OO model? It looks a bit big to be H0, but that could just be the camera angle. On the other hand, it has British-style couplers.

Edited by Dogmatix

I contacted the advertiser and asked him to remove the ad, which he did immediately. I understand it was bought secondhand in a job lot and mis-identified. I think it is a Rivarossi HO scale SNCF 0-6-0T which has had some work done to Anglicise it. The Model Rail USA is still in the design stage with Bachmann at present and there are currently no engineering prototypes, so nothing that could be photographed. I hope he will re-advertise it in due course, even as of unidentified origin as I'm sure there are modellers who would like it.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 2

From reading the email replies Mighty had with the individual, his cockiness and arrogance has not changed...!! I once knew this ebayer as a friend several years ago but we fell out when he claimed I had stolen several items off him...!!

I've always been a believer in the phrase 'What goes around comes around' and to see this happen to him has cheered me up big time...!!

Edited by Garethp8873

• RMweb Gold

Looks like it's relisted correctly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-RIVAROSSI-HO-BR-EX-USA-DOCK-TANK-30072-WEATHERED-DCC-READY-/381145721708?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item58be0e2b6c

Reading the posts I can't help thinking one or two people may have been over vindictively judgemental to what looks like an innocent mistake... It's hardly as if this is the 1st a description on ebay wasn't 100% spot on.

Possibly...but judging by his replies when the 'mistake' was pointed out to him, well, it makes me wonder....

Possibly...but judging by his replies when the 'mistake' was pointed out to him, well, it makes me wonder....

If you've ever read negative feedback from his customers that have not been happy, he never aims to resolve the situation. He always become defensive and leaves a 'bitchy' comment in response. Example of one of these situations:

Ebayer - "Not good.Rec'd damaged.Poorly packed.Quibbling over refund.Wont use again."

Response - "this is a trader ,trying the silly reck your buisness ploy never works"

If this had been me the situation of receiving negative feedback, I would done everything to sort out the situation so both sides were happy. In the case of the HO USTC Dock Tank, it seems clear from his replies to Mighty that he knew what he had wasn't a ModelRail model. Surely an a Google search or look on a forum would have told you that the ModelRail model hasn't come out yet. I reckon if the sale had gone ahead as originally listed then the ebayer would have been giving him negative feedback rather than positive...!!

Edited by Garethp8873

Unfortunately, circumstances prevented me from bidding last night. The auction finished at £107.

The model on offer had been repainted and redecorated with what appeared to be 'OO' sized transfers (British Rail transfers in 'HO' not being that readily available). The coal bunker was not altered to the British version, nor were the cab windows (should be rectangular front windows and sliding glazed windows at the sides). Nevertheless, there are not that many modern-standard British 'HO' models out there.

The Rivarossi has NEM pockets on close-coupling mounts - I wonder if the 'OO' version will have? I'll be surprised if it does.

NCB No.36 was Davenport 2595 of 1944, ex USATC WD6006 May 1947 to Seaton Deleval workshops Northumberland (No.8 area).- one of a pair, the other being No.35 (Dav 2509/43 ex- USATC WD1944)

Transferred the following month to Killingworth Colliery with No.35

Returned to Seaton Deleval shed Dec 50 - no.35 having returned in 7/50

Back to Killingworth early 1953.  scrapped December 53.    No.35 was scrapped at Seaton Deleval in 5/53.

A third loco was USATC WD4372, Davenport 2521 of 1943, allocated to Rising Sun Colliery, Wallsend from  June 1947 as no.4.  Later renumbered 31.  Transferred to Backworth in June 1951. Returned to Rising Sun April 1954 for scrapping and cut up two months later.

There were three USATC locos at Ashington for a few months in 1944 with two more at Killingworth, two at East Cramlington and another at Broomhill.  One of the Killingworth pair was a transfer from Ashington.  All of these returned to the USATC by the end of 1944.

This seems to be all of the type in Northumberland.

However one could stretch reality by running NCB 36 with Hornby's WD no.49 and DJModels/Hattons NCB No.4 as all would have run over the same tracks- Deleval locos worked past Backworth colliery on their way to the staithes.  However, you would need to ignore the facts that 49 was numbered 75062 until1959 and 4 didn't arrive from Scotland until 1961.......

All the very best

Les

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know what is going on with the Model rail USA tanks?

I had placed an order for the green late BR crest version..

only to discover when checking my advanced order records that the order had vanished/been erased/gone without a trace and had to start all over...

So it now it appears that the green version is no longer in production...

Is this true? I hope not as I was set on getting one...

Does anyone know what is going on with the Model rail USA tanks?

I had placed an order for the green late BR crest version..

only to discover when checking my advanced order records that the order had vanished/been erased/gone without a trace and had to start all over...

So it now it appears that the green version is no longer in production...

Is this true? I hope not as I was set on getting one...

More likely one of the 'glitches' from Kernow transferring over to the new website. Email or phone them to check on this.

I thought that might be the case, but the site no longer lists the Green late BR emblem version.

Maybe they ran out of Brunswick Green in China? :-)

I have emailed Kernow about this and hope to receive a reply - if it is interesting I'll post it here!

• Like 1

I thought that one had now sold out to pre-orders so won't be listed for purchase. My pre-order was still showing when I last checked so I'm sure it's a glitch and Kernow will sort it once you've let them know.

Hi Bill,

Have you tried logging into the Modelrail offers website?

My USA tank pre-order also doesn't show up on the Kernow website, but I logged into the Modelrail offers one and there it was.

Regards Glenn

Edited by aussiebrfan

Hi Bill,

Have you tried logging into the Modelrail offers website?

My USA tank pre-order also doesn't show up on the Kernow website, but I logged into the Modelrail offers one and there it was.

Regards Glenn

Thanks - I received an email from Kernow today - they really are prompt - letting me know that the order is still good.

They have been having some glitches with the new site which is apparently why it is not showing up in my orders section...

So all is well  - said he keeping his fingers crossed.

Does anyone know an expected delivery date?

• Like 2

Bachmann collectors club magazine shows it at still early stages, so I wouldn't hold your breath...

I've got two HO S100s from rivarossi to fill my fix, one is a U.S. Only release "granite stone co" no 12, as preserved in Sacramento working my stone terminal appropriately enough, shared with the European rivarossi release of the USATC liveried one... Lovely models in HO, even on a OO layout, can't wait for these to be released.. Just then I have to keep the HO ones apart from the OO ones.

That's a good idea - they must look and feel much more like the real thing with their wheels properly gauged :)

(from whose demented mind came the idea of OH/OO?)

It is worth mulling over whether or not to go this route :)

• Like 1

Sorry to be thick but how do you check your order?

Go to the Model Rail website and click log in, top of screen. You can then access your account and check your order history.

• Like 1

Present information is that the tooling is 90% complete but it is an extremely complex project due to the huge number of variations between locomotives, the very small and difficult nature of some of the details and the fact that the initial work was based on a preserved example which has subsequently been shown to have some post-preservation modifications. As soon as we have an engineering prototype we'll be able to give more information.

CHRIS LEIGH