ModelRail USTC 0-6-0 Tank Loco Project USA

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Many versions of the Jouef USA are now being discounted in France at 50% of the original price. The REE model seems to be selling at list. It is to be hoped the OO version will sell better in the UK.

Whilst Chris Leigh is always straightforward and honest which is commendable it would be interesting to compare the HO models gestation period with the MR OO one. Yes it is unfortunate that MR had to change manufacturers but three years is a while. Mind you the Hornby Brake Tender has been a long time too and I am beginning to think I must have dreamed they were making one. Having seen the HO model and witnessed its build quality and running I have my doubts that expectation that the MR model will be significantly better may be somewhat in the realms of hope rather than reality. But that said it will be the correct size for British outline. It does appear that the magazine commissions get shunted (sic) to the back of the queue when it comes to priority. If one recalls the amount of models that have been announced and reached the shops in the last three years one must sympathise with what must be frustrations by the magazines that commission a new build, generally though they are worth waiting for with the odd exception.

I don't suppose anyone knows how long the HO one was in preparation, and it isn't relevant anyway, as one is a simple commercial product and the other is a third party commission, which introduces complexity in every stage of the process. We can't blame Bachmann for all of the delays with the USA. We have been on a steep learning curve ourselves and we lost the person who was handling it at our end mid-way through the process. The result is that we've had to pick up the ball and run with it, whilst learning all the myriad pitfalls that exist with a loco class where no two are quite the same, and the preserved examples have had numerous post-preservation alterations done. One of the things with commissioning models is that ALL the research has to be done by the commissioning party and for us that included time at the NRM finding original drawings and a scan of a preserved locomotive, (though I'm not sure how much that has actually contributed to the process following the change of manufacturer). At this time, much tooling work has been done but a substantial number of issues had to be resolved before this could proceed. We're really not on a level playing field with the likes of Roco and Jouef (the latter now part of Hornby, who won't do third party commissions). Their main job is turning out models, ours is turning out publications.

CHRIS LEIGH

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One thing is you've gained the practical experience of just why it takes so long though Chris ;) I suspect though that may be worth an article in itself with all the pitfalls so you can direct the impatient ones to read it :)

It may convince a few ;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Is the price guaranteed? Just thinking three years is a long time. Bachmann have had two large increases in the last year and possibly more to follow before this loco arrives. There's a lot that's changed from inception to final delivery, as yet unknown, of this model

One thing is you've gained the practical experience of just why it takes so long though Chris ;) I suspect though that may be worth an article in itself with all the pitfalls so you can direct the impatient ones to read it :)

It may convince a few ;)

If I were Chris and the MR team I would keep all the information gathered in pursuing this project very close to my chest.

It might well make a good article but I reckon it must have even more value if kept private if they want to do another project.

It would put them a step, or several, in front of the competition.

Bernard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If I were Chris and the MR team I would keep all the information gathered in pursuing this project very close to my chest.

It might well make a good article but I reckon it must have even more value if kept private if they want to do another project.

It would put them a step, or several, in front of the competition.

Bernard

Obviously that's true to an extent but as Hornby mag has done the stuff and RM sit next to the Peco factory I don't think they are going to give much away to the trade ;)

Journalism is their priority so it depends if the good story and it's value to the impatient masses outweighs the possible loss of production secrets. To be honest I don't think the process is really that secret now just the costs and that can be dealt with in round numbers to save any blushes or secret smiles.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I find it slightly incongruous that the model is now to be made my Bachmann, but as it was started by DapolDave it still has a 'Dapol' logo associated with it.

(maybe the DapolDave account should have its picture changed?)

I find it slightly incongruous that the model is now to be made my Bachmann, but as it was started by DapolDave it still has a 'Dapol' logo associated with it.

(maybe the DapolDave account should have its picture changed?)

A fair point; I've changed the Topic Author to me.

• Like 1

And I expect that it didn't need any tungsten to have sufficient traction? Plenty of volume in the side tanks, bunker and forward end of the boiler and smokebox to accomodate sufficient mazak ballast.

Alternative explanation: a very shrewd advertisment by the retailer as an alert to what you are missing?

+

It is a lot lighter than I thought it would be - When the parcel was collected from UPS it felt very light and I thought they might have sent an empty box..

However it will pull 7+ Hornby Maunsell coaches - not well because of the coupling problems and Hornby coaches can be finicky... very finicky. :cry:  

So that would probably translate to about 10 HO scale coaches - which is something in practice it might never need to pull but unless one had a large layout that could accommodate rakes of 12 or more coaches and the S100 was the station pilot of choice - but as you pointed out - plenty of space for ballast.

It will be interesting when the model rail OO gauge tanks arrive and we find out what they can pull in comparison

About the fine scale Peco track - I don't think the retailer in question is that well known for its generosity! But having deeply thought about it (i.e. pierced the bubble of my fantasies about my track laying skills) I shall stay with code 100 for now...warts and all..

Edited by Bill
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

As of June 2015 the Model Rail 'USA' tank has now moved to the tooling stage. Amendments had to be ratified and then made to the CAD drawings to cover the various versions and to take into account 'inaccuracies' in the preserved example that was scanned (in other words changes made AFTER it left BR service). An engineering sample does exist and it runs very well. We are currently expecting to have some pre-production models to show at Warley, with delivery anticipated early in 2016. We also plan to announce some further livery options over coming months.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 12

• 2 months later...

Had a short ride Friday night behind the USATC built Granite Rock 0-6-0 Tank  at the California Railroad Museum as part of the Southern Pacific Historical and Technical Society convention celebrating the 150th commencement of the Central Pacific/Southern Pacific. Unfortunately no pix.  Only about 3 miles along the bank of the Sacramento River sipping champagne and eating celebratory cake. Unfortunately the only operating steam at the California Railroad Museum at the moment. 

see http://www.aggman.com/graniterocks-engine-no-10-back-on-track-at-california-state-railroad-museum/

• Like 2

Had a short ride Friday night behind the USATC built Granite Rock 0-6-0 Tank  at the California Railroad Museum as part of the Southern Pacific Historical and Technical Society convention celebrating the 150th commencement of the Central Pacific/Southern Pacific. Unfortunately no pix.  Only about 3 miles along the bank of the Sacramento River sipping champagne and eating celebratory cake. Unfortunately the only operating steam at the California Railroad Museum at the moment. 

see http://www.aggman.com/graniterocks-engine-no-10-back-on-track-at-california-state-railroad-museum/

Nice excuse for a layout just to run your USATC.

Impressive beast that loco and is kept in excellent condition for a working loco, had a detailed look over back in 2010 and a chat to some of the crew (who were fitting a new pilot that day). I saw them shunting it and went over asking if it was a USATC Tank (was 99% sure, but with the original cab and US fittings I felt the question was justified). They asked how I knew (hearing the accent) and I told the 'we' had a few, including on 'my' railway (30064). While they knew we had some I did enlightened them on the copycat locos build in Yugoslavia.

• Like 1

Chris - what are the chances that the USA will be available at Warley? I'd probably pick up a couple while I was there if they were available...

We hope that we will be able to have the EPs on show at Warley. Photos and details are in the current issue of Model Rail, due to hit the streets on 22 October. We are told delivery will be first quarter 2016. Apologies for the delay to this project, it suffered a false start and then, once switched to Bachmann, we discovered just how complex a project this is. We will have three variants with loads of detail differences and we believe we've now got them as correct as we can. The EPs look amazing!

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 2

We hope that we will be able to have the EPs on show at Warley. Photos and details are in the current issue of Model Rail, due to hit the streets on 22 October. We are told delivery will be first quarter 2016. Apologies for the delay to this project, it suffered a false start and then, once switched to Bachmann, we discovered just how complex a project this is. We will have three variants with loads of detail differences and we believe we've now got them as correct as we can. The EPs look amazing!

CHRIS LEIGH

Delay or not, your sticking to the original price for those who ordered early is very much appreciated. I have two on order and I'm tempted by a third.

• Like 1

Model Rail dropped onto the doorstep this morning and I was delighted to see the samples featured.

They are looking superb and well worth the wait.

A few numbers changed that may be worth noting:

MR106 has been replaced by BR Late No.30071 (Formerly D.S233).

MR101 (USATC Black) is now No.1968 (Formerly 4326).

The price is also set to rise as of December 1 to £124.95 (£113.59 subscribers.) To be honest, they look worth it, especially with the front end appearance.

Now to decide which one I want......

• Like 1

Model Rail dropped onto the doorstep this morning and I was delighted to see the samples featured.

MR101 (USATC Black) is now No.1968 (Formerly 4326).

The price is also set to rise as of December 1 to £124.95 (£113.59 subscribers.) To be honest, they look worth it, especially with the front end appearance.

Now to decide which one I want......

Is the price rise only for orders placed after 1 December? (not in the country atm, and relying on WHS having a copy of Model Rail at LHR when I return!)

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Gold

That's my interest in buying one gone, then.

John

That's my interest in buying one gone, then.

John

Unfortunately further research has revealed that the original choice of number did not suit the detail versions that we are able to do. It seems there were lots of differences between the ones which the Southern acquired and it is not possible to cover all of them. The number of the USATC example has been changed to one which definitely ran in the UK.

• RMweb Premium

We hope that we will be able to have the EPs on show at Warley.

CHRIS LEIGH

post-68-0-91066400-1445274034.jpg

The EP's are anticipated to be working examples running on 'Shelfie' seen in MR214, which will be on the Model Rail stand.

• Like 2