When the real thing looks like a model

When you’ve blown the whole budget on the most expensive back scene money can buy and a crop ton of trees and vegetation….so that all you can afford is a Scotrail liveried Class 47. 

IMG_3759.jpeg.50643221561a2554baa2827d51610e73.jpeg

Yesterday at Crewe.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Grizz said:

Yesterday at Crewe.

Looking at the loco, it didn't initially strike me as being such a recent photo: Really authentic eighties-style weathering job on 712 at present, it seems. The livery is looking nicely "worn in".

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Looking at the loco, it didn't initially strike me as being such a recent photo: Really authentic eighties-style weathering job on 712 at present, it seems. The livery is looking nicely "worn in".

Totally agree, I was like gangsta tripin back to the 1980s when I joined BR. Crewe was a great place to see locos. 

…and the best bit is that 712 was being chased, albeit at very low speed, by 47828 in IC/Swallow. Ta Da. I swear down that I was definitely yesterday dude. Specifically 10:35. In this order. 

IMG_3759.jpeg.70ed2c8f84149ea574cf59b48837259c.jpeg

IMG_3761.jpeg.2a6bbe230410b7f6b346df600c3564ed.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Grizz said:

Totally agree, I was like gangsta tripin back to the 1980s when I joined BR. Crewe was a great place to see locos. 

…and the best bit is that 712 was being chased, albeit at very low speed, by 47828 in IC/Swallow. Ta Da. I swear down that I was definitely yesterday dude. Specifically 10:35. In this order. 

IMG_3759.jpeg.70ed2c8f84149ea574cf59b48837259c.jpeg

IMG_3761.jpeg.2a6bbe230410b7f6b346df600c3564ed.jpeg

Definite shades of Crewe Diesel, thirty-odd years ago there.

Edited by Cruachan
  • Agree 2

Sometimes, try as you might, those old kits that you bought cheap at the collectors fair never quite go together as they should. The front valence on this MTK 158 is typical. The super glue stuck the 'modesty panel' before it could be positioned properly and just look at those 'panel gaps'. Lumpy filler and any old shade of yellow complete the job!!!!

Tsk - tsk, you'd never see such a poor job on the 'real railway'!

*this could also have been posted in the kit bashing thread

158748.jpg

• Like 7
  • Funny 4

On 18/05/2024 at 22:10, railsquid said:

I'm not usually a fan of painted backscenes, but this one works quite well:

53722104054_636dcb16c6_z.jpg

Güter hinter der Forelle by Loki Lokstromer, on Flickr

The modeller has also gone to the trouble of modelling the transporter wagons (Rollschemel-Wagen) used to carry standard-gauge wagons on narrow-gauge lines.

They've done a nice job of toning down the self-coloured plastic on the Pola building kits.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 18/05/2024 at 16:25, Grizz said:

When you’ve blown the whole budget on the most expensive back scene money can buy and a crop ton of trees and vegetation….so that all you can afford is a Scotrail liveried Class 47. 

IMG_3759.jpeg.50643221561a2554baa2827d51610e73.jpeg

I rather like the rhomboid hole in the backscene - partly disguised by foliage - where the operator can keep an eye on things ............. though the sudden appearance of that eye might be a little disconcerting to the viewing public !

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

It's not often you see the maroon->blue period modelled, but surely everyone knows the buffet car always goes between first and second class and the BSK should go at the end of the train not the front. Good use of a photographic backscene - the transition from baseboard edge to backscene is almost invisible. 

f Low Gill Class 47 Manchester to Glasgow April 68 J1265

(Class 47 at Low Gill, April 1968 by David Ford on Flickr)

• Like 13
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, Steven B said:

It's not often you see the maroon->blue period modelled, but surely everyone knows the buffet car always goes between first and second class and the BSK should go at the end of the train not the front. Good use of a photographic backscene - the transition from baseboard edge to backscene is almost invisible. 

f Low Gill Class 47 Manchester to Glasgow April 68 J1265

(Class 47 at Low Gill, April 1968 by David Ford on Flickr)

Is it just my postage stamp sized screen, or is that second coach a MK2? If so, along with the maroon Mk1, it makes an appealing hodge podge of stock that you'd not often see modelled.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

And haven't just gone for a simple RB but cut'n'shut a dia.17 RF.

Nice detail is the use of small numbers on the b/g coaches but can't see if they've gone the whole hog and used brown instead of black for the underframes/bogies!

• Like 2