Track on mothballed lines disappearing

Jenny Emily

The Little Eaton to Denby line is also disappearing.

I don't know about dissappearing it is all but gone apart from a very small section hiden in the undergrowth just south of Denby Station.

Found it. Network Rails answer to accomodate stock of any gauge! More prosaically, the remains of the track at Swans Way near Swanbourne station on the mothballed section of the Oxford - Bletchley line after someone had stolen most of the sleepers and before they returned for the rails.post-14048-0-45764100-1347195265_thumb.jpg

Oh dear; what a 'waist' :mosking:

• 1 month later...

On the Leamside line I noticed yesterday that the pandrol clips are missing to the west of the bridge that carries the road into Pattinson industrial estate from the link road to J64 of the A1(M). The trees seem to have been cut back too and the rails rolled off the sleepers. Is this official, or metal thieving scum activity?

• 4 weeks later...

Yes - the track either side of Fence Houses level crossing had disappeared when I last drove over it in mid-October. Surprisingly it was quite modern track - concrete sleepers and flatbottom rail. I suppose it dates back to the line being used as a diversion when the ECML was being electrified. A lot of the embankments and bridges will need work too if the line ever reopens - when we inspected some underbridges near Sherburn about 10 years ago the 'cess' rail was in mid air in quite a few places as the top of the embankment had slipped!

Andy

I think we're recovering all the materials - sure I read it somewhere. If/when it reopens it'll need full renewal anyway.

Aren't some of these materials off for a new (scenic) life in the Borders? Or did I dream that?

Aren't some of these materials off for a new (scenic) life in the Borders? Or did I dream that?

Not sure but I think a good deal of Scittish mechanical signalling is heading to the borders. Though with Leamside, I suspect the p-way materials will simply be recovered through the normal channels, if some can be reused it will be.

• 2 weeks later...

As I understand it, a fair bit of track is heading up to Millerhill - I regularly see Class 66 powered PW recovery trains sitting at Tursdale Junction, adjacent to the old NCB workshops, loading up. I think that a fair bit has been deemed suitable for re-using on the Waverley route. The Weardale line is getting about 3 1/2 miles of recovered track too, & that line is getting some serious use from loaded coal trains these days, so it can't be 'that' bad.

The point about having to relay the whole route before it could be reopened stems, I think, from the fact that much work would have to be done to assorted embankments which have slipped, either due to the collapse of old mine workings or the burrowing propensities of certain forms of wildlife. Also I would think that the drainage would have to be looked at.

Mark

Found it. Network Rails answer to accomodate stock of any gauge! More prosaically, the remains of the track at Swans Way near Swanbourne station on the mothballed section of the Oxford - Bletchley line after someone had stolen most of the sleepers and before they returned for the rails.post-14048-0-45764100-1347195265_thumb.jpg

I know a certain NR DU manager who would still try to classify this as a mis-alignment rather than a track buckle :nono:

I've seen a scheme to re-open this section through to Bletchley - but blowed if I can remember where..........

As I understand it, a fair bit of track is heading up to Millerhill - I regularly see Class 66 powered PW recovery trains sitting at Tursdale Junction, adjacent to the old NCB workshops, loading up. I think that a fair bit has been deemed suitable for re-using on the Waverley route. The Weardale line is getting about 3 1/2 miles of recovered track too, & that line is getting some serious use from loaded coal trains these days, so it can't be 'that' bad.

I was reading about the recovered materials going north - nice to know it'll be put to good use and not just weighed in!

The point about having to relay the whole route before it could be reopened stems, I think, from the fact that much work would have to be done to assorted embankments which have slipped, either due to the collapse of old mine workings or the burrowing propensities of certain forms of wildlife. Also I would think that the drainage would have to be looked at.

That will come into it but with less mkaintanence everything starts to deteriorate - most of what you mention can stem from this. Obviously mine workings are a bigger issue but I was reading about work on disused mine workings recently to secure them to try and prevent subsidence, part funded by NWR.

I know a certain NR DU manager who would still try to classify this as a mis-alignment rather than a track buckle :nono:

I've seen a scheme to re-open this section through to Bletchley - but blowed if I can remember where..........

It's part of the 'Spine Electrification' scheme from Network Rail, supposedly to allow electrically hauled freight (largely containers) from Southampton, via Reading and Oxford, thence Bletchley and Bedford as far as Sheffield. Such a pity there's no container depot in Sheffield, the nearest being Leeds/Doncaster/Wakefield... There's being something about in recent Modern Railways

• 1 month later...

On the Leamside line I noticed yesterday that the pandrol clips are missing to the west of the bridge that carries the road into Pattinson industrial estate from the link road to J64 of the A1(M). The trees seem to have been cut back too and the rails rolled off the sleepers. Is this official, or metal thieving scum activity?

Hi,after reading this thread,i wanted to go for nose at this disused line.I use the M1 north alot with work going to and from Port of Immingham to Crewe,so i was over my hours today so parked up off j30 and went for bit of nose!! found this line.Very interesting walk!! had to hide in the under growth from two BTP who were walking on the same track towards me!! :O So had lucky escape.Least there petroling this area i guess......

• 11 months later...

When I went into Trafford Park the other day a lot of the track there has disappeared too.

I work in Trafford park and have noticed a fair bit of track in the undergrowth running along side roads.

A fair bit has simply been surfaced over when adding new roads or widening existing ones with the odd bit of rail breaking surface to make my journey more interesting

• 3 weeks later...

Talking about buried track. There doing an enormous overhaul of roads where I live and the amount of old dockside railway simply buried under dirt or under the old roads was insane. They uncovered this real nice bit which had red cobble stone inlaid was gone before I could get back with my camera. And while putting new gas mains in another street I saw a chunk of cut out tram line beside the road. And just up the road from my house I noticed a house was getting new electrical connection from the street a good few inches of Tarmac down was the old cobble road quite possible the tram lines are under there still.

It's quite common for cobbles to have been simply surfaced over along with tram lines still in place.

I live in a small old mill town and pretty much every road is cobbles under the surface, it's a solid foundation for a road, so why remove it to replace it with something else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's quite common for cobbles to have been simply surfaced over along with tram lines still in place.

I live in a small old mill town and pretty much every road is cobbles under the surface, it's a solid foundation for a road, so why remove it to replace it with something else.

The contractors installing the new tram lines here in Nottingham had to remove some of the old tram lines first, which had been buried under tarmac for 70+ years.  

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived