The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Best Food in the World ?

edcayton

Cooked another of my favourites last night. Fish pie. Equal portions of white fish, smoked haddock, salmon and jumbo prawns in a mild cheese sauce with vermouth, topped with parmesan mash and served with samphire. Beat that. Unless you don't like fish of course.

Hello.

I love take away Chinese food but I can't say its the best in the world though, simply because I haven't travelled the world and tasted everything to make that call!

Missy :P

Hi Julia,

I wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment!

However, of the places I've been and the foods I've tried, not much beats a good full English breakfast (at any time of day!)

Bon appetite!

John E.

• RMweb Premium

Trinidad Stewed Chicken, Macaroni Pie and Red Bean Sauce as main meal with Dhal Puri Roti and Iced coconut water...

Aloo Pie and Doubles for breakfast and supper !!

• RMweb Gold

A nice roast - difficult to chose between pork, lamb or beef but chicken is further down my batting order than any of them when it comes to roasts. And various other meats done in either a roast or a nice stew also appeal - horse is quite pleasant but I think kangaroo is better, rabbit is nice, hare isn't bad, kid (goat) is pretty good, and pigeon or pheasant are definitely better than the sort of chicken just about everywhere seems to try to sell nowadays.

Surely that only applies if your favourite team is Kilmarnock as their pies were judged the best football pies in the country.

As I am originally from the East of Scotland (Hibs/Hearts land) this could start a war as best pies doesn't always equal best football club ... :jester:

But we won't go there and, in mitigation, enjoy the link taking the mickey out of Edinbro'

(Like the panda/tram reference!)

436202364_482df7925b.jpg

Cruelty to pies is a hanging offence in Wigan !!

Well I have to admit I don't like pie n' peas (though my dad was keen) or Vomit Beer* for that matter either. But I will confess to a fondness for tomato sauce on my pies.

* as I've heard in called in northern subtropical climes under the XXXX sign. It's a matter of principle, not taste.

As for the best food, my Aunty's pavlova has a special place for me.

The best can be found (almost) wherever you go:

Stuffed pizza (Giordano's) in Chicago

Pastrami on rye (piled up) in New York

Salmon from Alaska's Copper River (as prepared in the Pacific Northwest)

and yes,

the full English breakfast.

Barbecued sausage - HERECY!

Boerewors has seriously religious conotations for South Africans.

A recent survey of South Africans in the UK found that boerewors was the MOST missed item not obtainable.

• RMweb Gold

Barbecued sausage - HERECY!

Boerewors has seriously religious conotations for South Africans.

A recent survey of South Africans in the UK found that boerewors was the MOST missed item not obtainable.

I believe available in Jacksons butchers in Ruswarp near Whitby.

(it is just like a barbecued Cumberland sausage with beef though :O )

I'll add a couple,

Bacon sandwich (especially from the butchers above).

Proper 'Parmo', that is one from a takeaway in Middlesbrough but 'Jeff the Chef' ones are good.

All healthy then... :no:

Really good quality sausage roll with a tasty meaty sausage and pastry which is simultaneously flaky and slightly greasy (Pethers of Kew, just outside Kew Gardens station if anyone is going to the National Archives. Sadly on the non NA side of the station but well worth a detour).

But I don't think it's as good as a good roast dinner or a really good pasta dish. I need to persuade mum to make lasgana (she does excellent pasties too)

Interesting.

Much as I like some of the above (the fish pie sounds good and I do like a good roast or a decent curry too) I'm surprised that there has been no mention of steak - has to be rare of course (just as roasts should be if they're beef or lamb). So my nomination is a decent ribeye with a bit of garnish - I'll skip the chips/potatoes, onion rings and other beefeater-type extras as long as it's been cooked as it should be (not all the way throough!) The biggest problem, when eating out, is that many pubs/restaurants struggle with the concept of what a decent lump of seared cow should look like. Hint: it should not be an insipid grey colour all the way through.

Archived