The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Best Food in the World ?

edcayton

My mother's steak and kidney pudding. Unbelievably good. My missus gets 95% there with her version, unfortunately I can't get her to cook it every week like my mum did.

I'm a great lover of curries, but there are curries and curries. At their best, superb, but when you're in an unfamiliar place you don't know quite what you're getting, and a bad curry is like a bad pint of real ale, vile and off-putting.

Finally, haddock and chips. But see my comment about curries, if anything this is even more true of haddock and chips. I have a very select list of places where I will ask for this meal - random chippies are (sadly) unreliable, probably because they buy cheap fish and don't know how to cook it.

My mother's steak and kidney pudding. Unbelievably good. My missus gets 95% there with her version, unfortunately I can't get her to cook it every week like my mum did.

I find that the best way to get what you want is to cook it yourself. For example, I always take charge of the Christmas dinner if I can - and on the odd occasion where this hasn't been possible (12 hour ballast on Christmas day, for example) I leave explicit instructions on how to cook the bird and do the bread sauce, gravy, etc, myself when I get in the door.

I'm a great lover of curries, but there are curries and curries. At their best, superb, but when you're in an unfamiliar place you don't know quite what you're getting, and a bad curry is like a bad pint of real ale, vile and off-putting.

Finally, haddock and chips. But see my comment about curries, if anything this is even more true of haddock and chips. I have a very select list of places where I will ask for this meal - random chippies are (sadly) unreliable, probably because they buy cheap fish and don't know how to cook it.

At least a bad fish supper doesn't usually have the same after effects as a dodgy curry or pint of real ale..

.....a bad fish supper doesn't usually have the same after effects as a dodgy curry or pint of real ale..

Believe me, a bad fish supper can be every bit as devastating as a dodgy curry. In my old man's case it actually brought on a minor heart attack.

Now then, who feels a Monty Python cheese shop sketch coming on?

post-6879-0-90211500-1337384497_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just made myself a Lamb Sag Ghust with saffron rice washed down with a bottle of Cobra. Eaten too much and feel like a bloater, but it was worth it!!

Unfortunately had to make such a large quantity that I'll be forced to eat it for dinner tomorrow too. Oh Dear :no:

• RMweb Gold

It's an interesting question ... I love food and I've enjoyed food from all corners in all corners (of the earth that is) I adore pies, however I have to say that I love sausages. A few lovely fat porkers on a pile of creamy mash covered in sweet sticky onion gravy with a smear of English mustard on the side. Yummy :sungum:

To add to the healthy(?) options;-

My ex-employer had a canteen which used to offer 'breakfast' items, bacon, sausage (link and square, probably a Scottish thing!), haggis. black pudding, potato scone, eggs (scrambled and fried), all available plated or on a buttered roll.

My favourite, in my department 'Fat Roll Friday club', was a potato scone and fried egg roll...(but the scone was grilled and they used sunflower oil spread on the roll so not all bad :lol:

breakfast = marmite toast soldiers dipped in a soft boiled egg

dinner = haslet with chedder cheese on soft fresh loaf cut thick from our local bakers

tea = pasta bolognaise home made sause obviousley

supper = my mums bacon rib soup with whats left of the fresh bread

Trinidad Stewed Chicken, Macaroni Pie and Red Bean Sauce as main meal with Dhal Puri Roti and Iced coconut water...

Aloo Pie and Doubles for breakfast and supper !!

Very nice, although I'd substitute the macaroni pie with rice and you deserve a medal for managing aloo pie and doubles twice in one day! :O

A Sausage and Marmalade Toast sandwich.

TRUE,and if it sounds like I'm having a laugh then try it.

Well done Toast,well buttered,good quality thin Sausages cooked until very dark brown with a bit of black burned skin and the piece de resistance a good quality Seville marmalade or any other best quality BITTER marmalade(Oxford either with chunks or without).

ENJOY'

Can't beat a nice Bacon sarnie with a nice cuppa on a Sunday morning followed by Sunday roast at my Mums.

As for steak fantastic place for steak for those on holiday in Orlando you must try Jerrod's Black Angus opposite Wet & Wild got to recommend the aged roast prime rib it is fantastic, lovely piggy back ribs as well. http://www.blackangusflorida.com/menu.html

Archived