Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

The canal could well have been busy in the 50s, so loaded and empty narrow boats (please, not barges) may be in order.  Might be an excuse to put Hoss to work.

Adrian

It's generally reckoned that the 1963 winter killed off most, but not all, of the remaining traffic on the narrow canals, including the BCN. This was because they were blocked by ice for about 3 months. I can remember the odd horse-drawn narrow boat working on the BCN as late as 1962 (there were contracts for moving household rubbish which wasn't exactly time sensitive), so "hoss" might need a decent set of shoes if BCB gets dated that far backwards.

On the Spamcan front, I'm sure somewhere in a thread we have a mention of the FA Cup semi-final played at Villa Park in 1963 which produced 12 Spam-hauled specials from Southampton and surrounding area, into Snow Hill. From memory 9 ran up the logical route (Reading-Oxford-Banbury) but 3 went up the OWW via Worcester and Stourbridge and gained 8F pliots at Stourbridge because of Old Hill bank. Not quite the right bit of the Black Country, but Black Country nonetheless. Of course you'd need green stock.

http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/630427br.html

Admittedly some were rebuilt Spams.....

Edited by Andy W
  • Like 3

On the Spamcan front, I'm sure somewhere in a thread we have a mention of the FA Cup semi-final played at Villa Park in 1963 which produced 12 Spam-hauled specials from Southampton and surrounding area.

And we were stuffed by a ricochet off Denis Law's bl**dy knee.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

It's generally reckoned that the 1963 winter killed off most, but not all, of the remaining traffic on the narrow canals, including the BCN. This was because they were blocked by ice for about 3 months. I can remember the odd horse-drawn narrow boat working on the BCN as late as 1962 (there were contracts for moving household rubbish which wasn't exactly time sensitive), so "hoss" might need a decent set of shoes if BCB gets dated that far backwards.

On the Spamcan front, I'm sure somewhere in a thread we have a mention of the FA Cup semi-final played at Villa Park in 1963 which produced 12 Spam-hauled specials from Southampton and surrounding area, into Snow Hill. From memory 9 ran up the logical route (Reading-Oxford-Banbury) but 3 went up the OWW via Worcester and Stourbridge and gained 8F pliots at Stourbridge because of Old Hill bank. Not quite the right bit of the Black Country, but Black Country nonetheless. Of course you'd need green stock.

http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/630427br.html

Admittedly some were rebuilt Spams.....

As Andy w states there were a few very specific canal activities in the BCN after the 1962 big freeze. One specific charactor was caggy Stevens who operated both horse boat and tug boats after the big freeze on rubbish contracts and dredging. Another loss of traffic was power station coal tar waste as coal gas became less common. Oldbury's Thomas Clayton's fleet if tar boats was a Black Country standard.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Some progress on the next two pairs of twin bolsters:

post-6677-0-49301700-1393797632_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-32900100-1393797637_thumb.jpg

Fortunately the conversion of these and the Lowfit based ones was done early enough for them to also suit the proposed steam era BCB.

Meanwhile a couple of RTR wagons that will be getting new wheels and a few small modifications:

post-6677-0-26897000-1393797700_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-02259100-1393797643_thumb.jpg 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

The signal box at 7:32 is Harrow No.2 - the one from where the signalman watched the Harrow disaster unfold.

The lever numbering sequence is home, starter and then distant - this was a variation, I numbered your diagram with the other variation distant, home, starter - so the distant is before the home, not after the starter as in the opening sequence. (One box is Barton and Broughton)

The train ends it's journey at Windermere.

• RMweb Premium

Spotted a link to this film on another forum; lots of useful detail for anyone else modelling an ex-LNWR signal box - reminds me I still need to do an interior for ours too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVv-T2KRa7k&feature=youtu.be

Cracking film Mark, I'll be doing a chunk of that route tomorrow but I doubt I see many Jubilees...

At least Gulf tankers are correct for the Black Country, the storage depot was opposite the site of Albion station across the canal on the Stour Valley line, under the wires but all the other features of the layout are present, just over the out of use level crossing from the Oldbury Road building. 

• RMweb Premium

At least Gulf tankers are correct for the Black Country, the storage depot was opposite the site of Albion station across the canal on the Stour Valley line, under the wires but all the other features of the layout are present, just over the out of use level crossing from the Oldbury Road building. 

Indeed, the Albion tanks are one of those "signature" trains we just had to try to include.  

On the Twin Bolsters I've been experimenting with using a spring on the AJ coupling instead of using a counterbalance weight to keep the coupling in the up (coupled) position:

post-6677-0-74420600-1394093837_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-54520000-1394093844_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-01534900-1394093851_thumb.jpg

No uncoupling dropper added yet.

Once the right way up the spring is hidden behind a wheel and the wire hidden by the brake gear.

post-6677-0-97295000-1394093866_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, the Albion tanks are one of those "signature" trains we just had to try to include.  

On the Twin Bolsters I've been experimenting with using a spring on the AJ coupling instead of using a counterbalance weight to keep the coupling in the up (coupled) position:

attachicon.gifWP_20140305_020.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20140306_004.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20140306_005.jpg

No uncoupling dropper added yet.

Once the right way up the spring is hidden behind a wheel and the wire hidden by the brake gear.

attachicon.gifWP_20140306_007.jpg

How about Kadees?!

I've got a standard answer for folk who suggest I use AJs and three-links for shunting on Pencarrow and it's the one you use when someone mentions Kadees. ;-p

• RMweb Premium

I do like those single bolsters Mark, I'll be copying the method one day.

Do you need any more loads making up?

Thanks.  Am I correct in thinking that the billets will become an outbound load when we switch to the steam era as opposed to being an inbound load in the diesel era?  They are a perfect fit for both the Twin Bolsters and the Bogie Bolster Cs, but I've seen mention of 25' billets travelling on Double Bolsters (which were 27' long).  Did the length of billets vary or would everything from our works be the same length?  A few 25' billets (if that's appropriate) might be useful as I might add a few Double Bolsters to the steam era stock.  I guess there'd also be a more varied range of steel section being produced too?

I'm planning to scratchbuild a handful of diagram 1/400 single bolsters at some point.

• RMweb Premium

Had a quick play with that Bachmann SHOC BAR last night (until a power cut put a stop to any further modelling).

On examination the first thing I spotted was that the brake levers were on the wrong way round (i.e. pushing the lever down would take the brake off!).  So the levers were removed; it was easier to slice the vees off too then trim and clean up afterwards.

post-6677-0-85512600-1394136541_thumb.jpg

This is how far I'd got when the lights went out!

post-6677-0-19183600-1394136534_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-77385600-1394136550_thumb.jpg

As seems to be quite common these days, the wagon which the Bachmann model depicts the subject of one of Paul Bartlett's photos (B723206).

• Like 4