Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

And now with the dropper and balance weight added:

post-6677-0-24240100-1349556447.jpg

Unfortunately the balance weight needed to be rather longer that I would have liked (Forrest should have paid better attention in those physics lessons). Still it works and even on the tight curves on Foundry Lane the weight does not seem to hinder bogie movement which I feared it might.

Next on the to do list; is this Cambrian Boplate E.

post-6677-0-14105500-1349556490.jpg

So far the build has followed the manufacturers instructions - with the exception of some 1mm L angle brass cross members on the trussing. However, this will be finished as to be a vac fitted diagram 1/490 example.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if you could get away with a thinner dropper and therefore less length on the counter balance ?

Comparing them to the axle, they are a lot thicker than the ones on New Haden (Not sure if my wagons are fitted with the final dropper design)

Do we know what is going to provide the magnetic 'pull' yet so you know what force is required to drop

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if you could get away with a thinner dropper and therefore less length on the counter balance ?

I think you are probably right. These measure 1.8mm (0.072") as recommended; my NHC stock has U shaped droppers of 1.2mm florists wire which also works. Testing so far has been limited to the fixed magnets on FL, I really need to set up a test rig with whatever type of electromagnet we'll be using so I can check it all works.

Since taking the photo I've put a 90 degree bend in the balance weight which helps to hide it better behind the wheel.

• RMweb Premium

Do we know what is going to provide the magnetic 'pull' yet so you know what force is required to drop

Sorry, missed this in my earlier reply.

As I understand it more nails with wire wrapped around them as on NHC has been suggested.

Whatever we use, anything I build will be tested using the same on the workbench before being passed fit for service.

In the mean time, I need some help. What is the solvent / liguid adhesive I need to use that is slow to evaporate to enable me to bond large areas of plasticard to each other

Andy

Why use solvent at all

Double sided sticky tape works a lot better

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've added some bogies and buffers to the boplate.

post-6677-0-81989500-1349726552.jpg

The buffers are from the Lanarkshire Models & Supplies range.

I've modified the bogie mounts to make the bogies easier to remove and to provide more space between the wheels to clear the couplings (further AJ experimentation is planned for this one).

post-6677-0-31070800-1349726579.jpg

Four brake vees and two vac cylinders have been fitted; I now been to source some more handwheels for the brakes as I only have two on the correct size/style and need four (one at each corner).

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

Just back from visiting Damian 'on the way home' from work. I now have the viaduct board up in the 'train room', going to make a start on the industrial viaduct....

....not tonight, though. The remainder of tonight is for a nice glass of red (or two).

• RMweb Premium

So far on the project I have been focusing on my "comfort zone" of rolling stock, however I was keen to take on something a little different. What could be more different from plastic wagons than a brass building - in this thread I'll be building the London Road Models kit of a LNWR Type 4 box.

post-6677-0-50888800-1350157509_thumb.jpg

I'll post some photos as the build progresses, but to start, here are a few prototype reference photos.

First up, flyingsignalman's recent West Cheshire Junction thread, particularly useful since our cabin (situated on an embankment) will feature a timber base and some great interior details too.

Over on Flickr, so far I've found the following:

6941047687_57c03f7a72_z.jpg

Exchange Sidings by Ingy The Wingy, on Flickr

6794933514_3fbf1481bb_z.jpg

Exchange Sidings by Ingy The Wingy, on Flickr

6005980783_4b99be73ca_z.jpg

Pleck Junction by Ingy The Wingy, on Flickr

4421534387_c49dfaef3e_z.jpg?zz=1

Latchford by Ingy The Wingy, on Flickr

5576426079_655fb6ecb0_z.jpg

Mitre Bridge Junction by Ingy The Wingy, on Flickr

5576426923_656605c163_z.jpg

Mitre Bridge Junction by Ingy The Wingy, on Flickr

& also Littleton Shunt Frame

[edited 17/10/12 to add link to London Road Models website ]

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Right folks, need some help looking for a few more buildings for BCB.

All should really be from the black country and suitable for the 1950-1970 period. I'm after prototype suggestions for:

1. crossing keeper hut / house / cottage for the level crossing on the industrial line

2. run down rural / farming outbuildings that have seen better days

3. scrapyard offices

4. general small but interesting industrial buildings

Answers on a postcard please folks....

Many thanks

• RMweb Gold

Memories of a very cold Sunday at Exchange Sidings in 1967. Relaying the points worked by those rods in the foreground. The ballast froze in the wagons and we couldn't dig the holes for the new crank frames.

Also Mitre Bridge, looking in a sorry state. The day of the commissioning of the new signalling started, the painters turned up at South West Sidings SF, so I told them they were too late. The DSI asked where they were going next and they said "Mitre Bridge" so I replied "Bet I can sign it out before you can start painting it"

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 3