Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

Are we planning to have street lights ?

And grids and yellow Hydrant marker posts ?

Yes, but not for the first show. At the moment I'm concentrating on building the roads and bridges those things will be on!

There will be full street furniture. 

• Like 2

Having met Chris's 2 offspring, I would say take them to the show. They would make ideal crowd controllers for the sub-populations, they seem to be able to recognise bull%%%% and general annoying behaviour when it is present :jester:

BTW, they are a very charming pair.

• Like 1

I've worked with street lighting engineers - curious bunch very keen on collecting odds and sods of control gear, cable and lanterns on and under desks.

Was like that with me at previous company. Everyone gave me their old PCs - I built a test server farm with 30 or so servers from scrap.

And currenlty my office is awash with cable (audio, PC, video, mains) that others were going to throw away. Strange how many people come asking for something impossible ... and find that I have it.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Phil, glad that you are both enjoying it!!

Yes, that, and the fact they were probably the most numerous steelworks diesel in the Black Country, determined the choice of locomotive to offer.

The Paint Shop;

The locomotive body was scrubbed with a cream cleaner and an old tooth brush, rinsed thoroughly, and then placed into an ultrasonic cleaner for a few minutes (bought cheaply from Aldi a while back, plenty big enough for a loco of this size).

After drying overnight, the first paint on was a thin coat of grey primer (Tamiya Fine Surface Primer) from an aerosol.

It was then dragged out into the yard for its works photo.....

attachicon.gifDE2 Build 15 030 Works.jpg

The buffers were just temporary fits for the photo. A second thin coat of white primer, again Tamiya, followed. This is essential as the yellow topcoat is somewhat translucent and a white undercoat enables a thinner coat of yellow to cover adequately. Also available in white;

attachicon.gifDE2 Build 16 003.JPG

So far, so good, but nothing ever goes quite to plan. One thing I was not too happy with was the rainstrips on the roof. They were, as the instructions suggest, made up of narrow strips of spare etch. Nothing wrong with that, but I’d placed them just too far over. When I started to apply some of the finishing paint it was very apparent. The model had lost that characteristic rounded edge to the roof/side transition, it just didn't look right. Could I live with it........Dammit!, No!!

So......, a bit of paint scraped back, strips de soldered, new ones from brass wire soldered on, clean up, and a start on making good the paintwork. It's looking a lot better.

Progress now slows a little as paint needs a day, at least, to dry but I hope to be applying the finish later this week.

TBC

I love the sign in the works photo

A

• Like 3

Andy, I showed No.1 daughter the photos of your Joey and she decided she could do better.

I'm worried what plans she has for the layout, after all it is in 'her' playroom...

I did try explaining the principles of scale and prototype fidelity, but apparently her models are prettier! 

Has your No. 1 Daughter adopted the oss and stabling it in her playroom, never mind their will be plenty plenty of fertilizer to help turn the brown fluff green. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just a little thought, many advertising hoardings were provided by companies that did nothing else. IIRC there were one or two nationwide companies and several local companies. They usually identified 'their' hoardings by a small nameplate placed centrally on the top or sometimes the bottom rail of the hoarding. This was usually a stamped metal item made of tin or zinc and later aluminium. 

• Like 1

What a lovely little loco...!! 

I've said it before & I'll say it again, I cannot believe how everyone involved in this project can turn out such excellent quality work so quickly!! It is really inspiring stuff!!

keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A good day casting.......    If the resin was fresh and new, I would be making a casting every half an hour.  As it happens it is old and slow so this is the output of the whole day.  Either way, we will have enough for the weekend. 

As for a casting thread.  please wait until we have exited the mad race to Donny!!

post-8894-0-05822400-1358802906_thumb.jpgpost-8894-0-36750000-1358802983_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Pub board - c 700mm each side (excludes Nigel's lock craters).

Signal box / sidings board - c 700mm each side

Canal board guessing at - 2 x 900mm plus 2 x 300mm. 

so approx 5200mm in total....

OK

That is 13 pairs of castings and I have made 5 .....  1 more tonight and then off to work with daughter No 2 stripping and recasting after school.

We will be there for Saturday.

No more nails for gap filling adhesion I suspect.

Geoff...  half of that (2.5 metres needs lining with rail, do you have some ?

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Mark

Have you done anything about loads to and from the steelworks.....

I have some incoming billet loads for the BAA's and then a mixture of rod (fibre optics from a departed snowman) as well as some small section plastic extrusion (not cheep).

Are you doing the same ?  we need to agree the colour of rolled steel.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Anywhere specific? I mean, I don't want to recommend somewhere near Dudley Port if you're in Stourbridge - or vice versa. Let us know where & you'll be swamped with ideas!

In the meantime, check out:

http://www.dudleycamra.org.uk/

There's a downloadable ale trail pdf & a map of pubs on there. Cheers! (I might be in the 'Western - http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/28/28206/Great_Western/Wolverhampton on Saturday afternoon if my Daughter's better by then)

Hi Dave

Will be using a West Mids rover ticket, so anywhere in the area, preferably without to much bus travel as that is the day job.

Cheers SS