RMweb

Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

Thanks Nick,

That looks about right. So Flemish stretcher bond it is...

Now the big money question is (given that I am creating masters for casting resin components (where each section of the front framed by a buttress is a component]), are the SEF embossed sheets straight enough to allow me to cut different types of SEF brick bond sheets into neat strips that will allow me to build up the right bond fairly easily?

iD

• RMweb Premium

Question of the weekend, which I tried hard not to laugh out loud about, was regarding Flavio's mock-ups

"Are they kits, as I can see Flemish Bond and 6' Man written on them. Are they the parts of the kit that you have to fit?"

What a fantastic weekend. Operating BCB on it's maiden voyage, meeting up with all involved, drinking the night away, John's stories (doing a Ronnie Corbett, as Damian put it) and to top it all off, getting something rather special run on the layout which made Tim E very happy. Damian's face was a picture when he saw what was coming down the layout :D

P.s. thanks for everything guys :)

• Like 10

Everyone at Warners is delighted with the project and it's certainly exceeded the initial expectations of what a project layout could be. Well done everyone!

I'm so glad that this has got together - and Warners' reaction.The team is really a team. It really exemplifies what Andy has created - a community.

And now for something I'm sure the team don't want to hear just yet:

WHAT'S NEXT, LADS?

:)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I love this layout.

It's not just that I've “followed it”, it is that I feel involved!

I look at the pictures, and sub-consciously, I know the history behind buildings, contours, bridges, trials and tribulations etcetera!

Well done to all.

Kev.

(I was unable to visit, this time, but rest assure – I will!)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I saw the BCB layout yesterday and was impressed with it. Supprised at the progress, a lot further than I had expected.

Glad to see no cliche, like A bus on the bridge - TWO !

Well done guys.

Merf.

Cheers Merf - we deliberately put the two buses there - just to be a bit playful ;-p 

• Like 1

Like this?

attachicon.gifflemish-stretcher.jpg

These are both variations on Flemish Stretcher Bond. It uses single courses of Flemish bond (alternating headers and stretchers) to add some cross bonding to ordinary stretcher bond. The Flemish courses are added at regular intervals so there could be two, three, four courses of stretchers between each.

Nick

When on my YTS back in the 80's it was alway odd No's of courese stretcher bond between the flemish coures

I have to say I was rather blown away by BCB, having now seen it in the flesh.  A real credit to all involved and certainly a hefty inspiration to others (myself included).  The trackwork in particular is very fine indeed.

I'm looking forward to seeing it again next month at Ally Pally now!

My sentiments exactly Tim!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers!!

No more beans for you Mr Ross!

And who had sprouts on Saturday night?

I'd just like to say thanks for letting me have a play (building bits and operating) it's been one of the best exhibitions I've operated at, mainly because it's not my layout and I didn't need to worry about fixing it if it suddenly stopped!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Indeed; Geoff's the relatively unsung hero behind making sure everything ran and as well as it did over the weekend. He's got some more checks and adjustments he still wants to do.

However I'll try and bag the most unusual cop of the day.

attachicon.gifWP1s.jpg

All this malarkey will might stop when the full range of locos, stock and workings are put together.

So there may still be time for Spam79 to work the Warwickshire Railway Society Crankex, probably the only recorded instance of a Spam doing Pleck to Tipton via Princes End.

• Like 3

The photo of the team (I think Andy took it) - could it be reposted with their names?

They deserve to be  identified and recognized.....

From left to right: Jason - Sandside, Paul - worsdellforever, Nigel - Avonside1563, Andy - wagonbasher, Damian - Indomitable026, Mark Forrest, Geoff Cook, John - Old Gringo, Chris- 2manyspams.

Crew.jpg

The photo was taken at the end of Saturday before Stu (Stubby) arrived.

• Like 14

I must confess that I was VERY disappointed in the BCB layout... inasmuch as I was unable to fly in to Doncaster to join the crew on its' first outing :cry:

Perhaps one day I will be in the right place at the right time to join the team on a BCB outing (and I will be very happy to help out as well)

7. The shock on many seasoned modeller's faces when we mentioned this wasn't a club layout, was only started 8 months ago and was built in houses all across the North and East Midlands...

And hopefully, at the next BCB outing you'll be able to add "and specially imported from Switzerland" to that list! :swoon:

For a "work in progress" it looks remarkably complete, especially given that I've been to exhibitions with layouts that are "work in progress" and that have been so for a number of years (sic) and which are still mostly bare boards with track. The layout looks really impressive, über realistisch indeed. The only jarring notes are the two white pimples that are disfiguring the otherwise superb scenics... I am hoping that will be corrected soon???

As 2ManySpams wrote, this layout really shows what can be done by dedicated modellers sharing a common purpose. So, well done all.

iD

As Private Eye would say "Trebles all round".

• Like 10