RMweb

Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

Flavio

Pity you couldn't have joined us at Doncaster. It ended up being an impromptu gathering of BCB contributors and we even twisted Jason's arm to stay over (he didn't put up much of a fight). Now that Donny show is done, and the stress / manic levels have subsided somewhat, you can be assured of our full attention again! As you say the main goal is to get the two front buildings done. There's been a fair amount of discussion regarding the run of buildings along the rear of the layout and plans may be altering now we've seen Andy York's photo backscene in place. 

(part post, more to follow)

• RMweb Gold

Oi!!

Them were Cornish scones, with Cornish Clotted Cream and Cornish Strawberry Jam.

From Cornwall.

They were from Devon.I saw the way you used the cream and jam.I know the difference.

post-126-0-90009300-1360613336_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Another question I had off a bloke was "Is that photo at the back of Sheffield?" No, it's of the Black Country, in the Midlands. "Ah, it's down South then" No, it's of the Black Country, in the Midlands. "So it's not Sheffield or down South then?" No.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

After seeing BCB at Donny today I have to say that the layout is big and "W E Millward Ltd" is so good I spent ages looking at it. Shame the distance between the the barrier and the layout made closer viewing difficult.

Thanks !

It's been a real pleasure to build. Using only the two photos Steve took, I had both a real challenge to match the look of the building with a complete free rein on how else it should look.

The fire escape was an idea that actually made the build harder when trying to work out realistic upper floor levels.

I also left off the window protection frames, as being too delicate to survive the journey north.

The yard was ( I thought) completely out of my own head, but looking at my own photo of Happisburgh Goods, I noticed the yard gates there had the arcs in the floor for the gate runners. I saw HG at the O Gauge show at Bristol last year, so it may have been subliminally implanted.

The wall on the WC building has 7 different styles of embossed brickwork, plus some plain plasticard pieces, and was almost a total disaster when I noticed I cut the windows lower than the door threshold.

I'm particularly pleased with the arch of bricks in the end wall; the toilet is a fun item added by seemingly popular demand.

Stu

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The three links were fine, once you'd got used to then. The AJs were as good/bad to use - only if they got bent was there a problem.

Maybe some sort of operating sequence of trains would help the flow, and/or not sending all the trains to one FY...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Imagine the scene, it's the eve before our first show and a few minutes before we get thrown out by security. The layout is set up. We've not run anything on the layout yet. It's looking great, although there are a few bits of bare woodwork that need an urgent coat of paint.

Quality of finish is obviously very important, as are attention to detail and swift action with a brush. There's only one man for the job...

post-6675-0-54782400-1360614803_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-72470800-1360614812_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Who designed the BCB logo ?

I think it was invented over a pub lunch (pie, chips and peas) and then worked on by John, Jayne and Nigel.

Damian custom mixed* the blue / grey paint used for the main fascia panels (not the grey John is using above).

(*lobbed a bit of black into some blue paint)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Probably a good place for me to add a few reflections on the rolling stock and its operation.

I think overall we had enough trains to fill the (current) fiddle yards, but it would be fair to say that they weren't necessarily formed of the right stock!

Next step for me is to take guidance from the Working Timetable to add more steel carrying wagons to the fleet; particularly the Bogie Bolster Cs, Ds and Es that I've started but not yet finished.  I think the choice of couplings worked reasonably well - or it would have done if all the locos had been AJ fitted enabling the stock to remain in fixed rakes, minimising uncoupling and speeding up turnaround times in the fiddleyards.

The system that evolved over the weekend of displaying the loco which is ready to depart on a card so that the driver at the other end can see which loco they should dial up on the controller worked well - we can simplify this by always putting the locos on the layout with number 1 end facing the same way.  This way the driver positioned at the (for example) up fiddleyard would always be driving "forward" while the opposite end would always be driving in "reverse".  Obviously we'll be looking for a more professional looking card (or something similar) to display the loco number on - also need to provide drivers with a list showing which locos have sound fitted!

Overall, a really enjoyable first show although there is plenty still to do in the rolling stock department - hopefully those visiting Ally Pally will notice a few differences.

• Like 4

They were from Devon.I saw the way you used the cream and jam.I know the difference.

My wife said that a posting like this should be blocked by Andy. As cream scones are one of her favourites, and you cannot get any part of them here. Or only allowed if all readers are supplied with said scones.

• Like 4

More seriously Rob, I've no real idea what we're going to do with BCB expo wise in 2014 onwards. The problem that gets worse with every layout the team builds, is that many of us only have the time to exhibit at 5 or so shows a year. It will therefore be a balancing act to manage the exposure of each layout and the availability of folk to take them to shows. 

That's right! Keep 'em keen! 

Seriously though-this is something I experience myself and feel that 4 shows max a year is sufficient

But really good to catch up with the progress and very impressed with your quality and workrate!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I was thinking about the sound loco thing, it was impossible to know whether the loco you were picking up from t'other end had the sound on or off. Would it be worth the operators ensuring that the sound is on for all equipped locos in their fiddle yard before the operator at the other end selects it? Would maybe be a bit of a hassle but would be one way round it (and I can't currently think of another)

Ive only just found this topic and I have to say, Arthur, that both of those models are superb. You really ought to post more of your loco builds in the industrial section. Top marks!

Thanks Dave, I was pleased with the way they turned out.  I'll be starting another build, probably next week, so I'll post that up in the industrial section.

It's absolutely right for BCB, moreso than any of the other temporary stand-ins that were contemplated for Show 1. Thank you Arthur, it's as good as it looked in your images; well done.

Andy, that's very kind and much appreciated. I thought it'd be a good choice of prototype and, in the various photos people have posted, it does look very much at home. The whole thing looks just stunning, it's incredible how all these bits, built all over the place, have come together so well. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the photos Chris, as, in the event I couldn't get to Donny on Sunday, it's great to see it in context.

Must be quite sad to see it depart after all the time and effort, practice running and getting those wasp stripes right. Many thanks for all your efforts, much appreciated, and I hope you enjoy seeing it (and the Guy) on the layout in photos and hopefully in the flesh at some stage. 

Interesting point Chris, never having built anything for anybody else before, I did wonder at the start how I'd feel posting them off.  I think, because right from the off I knew they weren't staying, it wasn't a problem.  As I saw the layout coming together in various posts and photos, I was also really very keen to see the DE2 on that industrial line, and I have to stay, from the various photos of it, I'm pleased to see it in such fantastic surroundings.

• Like 1

As I couldn't, in the end make it to Donny, I'd just like to say thanks for all the photos which have been posted.  BCB really is looking like something very special.  It's incredible how all these parts and pieces, built by several people, from all over the place, came together so well on the first public outing. Nothing looks incongruous, it all sits together so naturally.

Like others, I've got to mention Andy's backscene, absolutely stunning. 

It's a privilege to have played a small part in it, and hopefully I'll see it in the flesh at Ally Pally. 

Arthur

• Like 3

Apologies for the lack of action, but bits going on in the background, computer nod camera probs haven't helped, but I think we are getting back on course!

More to follow..........

Ps got all the bits and pieces now and build under way with mark 1 tank already done!