Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

Was very pleased to see BCB in the flesh for the first time. Took a few photos. Sadly the presentation on layout photography was cancelled due to ill health... so I had to make do with my own ideas on how to do it!

post-13426-0-42410400-1364333349_thumb.jpg
post-13426-0-62398800-1364333374_thumb.jpg
post-13426-0-94848500-1364333387_thumb.jpg
post-13426-0-71487100-1364333393_thumb.jpg
post-13426-0-89310400-1364333399_thumb.jpg
post-13426-0-06935700-1364333406_thumb.jpg
post-13426-0-92426500-1364333412_thumb.jpg
post-13426-0-62173300-1364333418_thumb.jpg

Some of them aren't particularly good pictures (I had to include the one of the bloke sat in the office!) but I think they catch the atmosphere.

Just wish I'd managed to catch the layout when some of the proper (steam) locos were running on it that have been pictured by others rather than these nasty blue boxes on wheels! :devil:

Looking forward to Peterborough now!
Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Was very pleased to see BCB in the flesh for the first time. Took a few photos. Sadly the presentation on layout photography was cancelled due to ill health... so I had to make do with my own ideas on how to do it!

Some of them aren't particularly good pictures (I had to include the one of the bloke sat in the office!) but I think they catch the atmosphere.

Just wish I'd managed to catch the layout when some of the proper (steam) locos were running on it that have been pictured by others rather than these nasty blue boxes on wheels! :devil:

Looking forward to Peterborough now!

Some nice shots there, the layout is coming together nicely. I see there's yet another cracking shot of Andy Y's canal cottages to add to our collection ;-)

• Like 3

It was great to actually see the layout on Saturday, and to and to meet the BCB team, Mark, Geoff, Damian and Nigel and John. Sorry to have missed Andy and Chris, maybe we'll catch up at Peterborough.

A pleasure too, to meet Flavio, Kevin and Jason.

Thanks to Jason's crash course in DCC, I was able to have a bash at driving. Slick it wasn't, took me a while to realise that I was mean't to drive my train out of the far fiddle yard, obvious really, but never underestimate stupidity!

I attended John's lecture on the background to the layout and he did a splendid job, especially considering he'd stepped in at short notice to cover for Andy Y.

All of the out workers were given honourable mentions too, as was the 'oss.

The layout looked stunning and it's overall presentation, framing, lighting etc. is very impressive. An incredible feat in just nine short months and I look forward to seeing it develop.

Not surprisingly, the two questions I fended were both about Andy's back scene which is just as impressive in the flesh.

A favourable comment I overheard whilst observing operations was how good the sense of space was, both in terms of the numbers of trains and the buildings i.e. there weren't too many of either, it looked natural.

(Andy, John passed on the steelworks bits, I'll write up the work I do on them in a couple of weeks)

Arthur

• Like 11

....even the main roads open and close as snow is blown in and cleared again Andy. Side roads vary between what you see in this clip and single track cuttings through walls of snow.

Regular pub accessible though

Dave  

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Nicked from another thread - if you ignore the track in the foreground, what does this shot remind you of?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69274-dave-f-more-photos-added-26-march-from-1947-to-1955ish/page-4

EDIT - Sorry, link not specific enough. Try Pic #3 in message #92.

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 8

Nicked from another thread - if you ignore the track in the foreground, what does this shot remind you of?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69274-dave-f-more-photos-added-26-march-from-1947-to-1955ish/page-4

The link went to a page rather than a post but I can see what you mean Ian - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_03_2013/post-5613-0-12282500-1364239543_thumb.jpg - ;)

You'll start OG off about telegraph poles again!

• Like 6

AY said in post 561, "You'll start OG off about telegraph poles again!"

How spooky, you know me too well Mr. York.  I was just estimating (approximately) the distance between those two poles on the embankment and thinking - "they're way too close together!"  The information I had regarding T.poles was that they're normally about 60/65 yards apart, but I think those two are closer together and even look shorter than my Ratio poles!

All the best,

John (always "up the pole!").

Edit: based on Mike's figure of 21 foot per wagon (7 yards) in the next post, I think they're about eight-ish wagons apart, which might be just under 60 yards?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

How spooky, you know me too well Mr. York.  I was just estimating (approximately) the distance between those two poles on the embankment and thinking - "they're way too close together!"  The information I had regarding T.poles was that they're normally about 60/65 yards apart, but those two are around half that distance and even look shorter than my Ratio poles!

All the best,

The angle of the pic doesn't help John but I reckon one pole is more or less level with the leading end of the loco and the other more or less opposite the back end of the sixth wagon although I might be a bit out.  But leading buffer of loco to back end of sixth wagon is not much over 60 yards and probably less than 65 yards (allowing 62ft for the loco and 21ft per wagon).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

How spooky, you know me too well Mr. York.  I was just estimating (approximately) the distance between those two poles on the embankment and thinking - "they're way too close together!"  The information I had regarding T.poles was that they're normally about 60/65 yards apart, but those two are around half that distance and even look shorter than my Ratio poles!

All the best,

Any excuse to justify using the Ratio poles hey John..

• Like 1

Guest bri.s

Just seen this thread and wow love the layout looks right and the backseen really does set the tone for the layout

Well done

Bri.s

• RMweb Gold

Some nice shots there, the layout is coming together nicely. I see there's yet another cracking shot of Andy Y's canal cottages to add to our collection ;-)

One of my shots has almost a whole window visible! Having seen the cottages come together on the thread it is a shame they're so hidden. Maybe the canal water under the bridge should be incredibly still... almost mirror like... maybe even a mirror... so you can see the lower part upside down from there.

I like the first photo - there's not been enough of the signal box.

I was disappointed when I got home to find that the shot I'd taken of the box at an angle was out of focus. So I'll try to do better at Peterborough.

• Like 1

One of my shots has almost a whole window visible! Having seen the cottages come together on the thread it is a shame they're so hidden. Maybe the canal water under the bridge should be incredibly still... almost mirror like... maybe even a mirror... so you can see the lower part upside down from there.

There's a perverse satisfaction in building something to have it obscured and I find it quite amusing that it's mostly the chimney pots (which need re-doing) that get seen. :) The same will apply to the farside of OG's canal tunnel and I'm sure there's plenty of other bits that can be hidden in due course. Most layouts don't show the back of the signal box or hide the magnificent tunnel entrance deep in a cutting but BCB isn't normal.
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

There's a perverse satisfaction in building something to have it obscured and I find it quite amusing that it's mostly the chimney pots (which need re-doing) that get seen. :) The same will apply to the farside of OG's canal tunnel and I'm sure there's plenty of other bits that can be hidden in due course. Most layouts don't show the back of the signal box or hide the magnificent tunnel entrance deep in a cutting but BCB isn't normal.

Or thrash a Cortina to within an inch of it's life...  :O

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

How spooky, you know me too well Mr. York.  I was just estimating (approximately) the distance between those two poles on the embankment and thinking - "they're way too close together!"  The information I had regarding T.poles was that they're normally about 60/65 yards apart, but I think those two are closer together and even look shorter than my Ratio poles!

All the best,

Edit: based on Mike's figure of 21 foot per wagon (7 yards) in the next post, I think they're about eight-ish wagons apart, which might be just under 60 yards?

There's a few still visible on Google Earth on the canal bank just west of Smethwick Rolfe St station. Two are either side of the road bridge over the canal near the pump house, very clear on street view. I have measured the remains of the run as best I can from the aerial view, and would estimate them as being about 57-58 yards apart.

As to the height in the Black Country, they tended to get shorter over time as the mining subsidence and underground fires took their toll. I remember a run near Cannock where it was possible to reach the bottom arm from the ground in places.

• Like 1