Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

His,

Those insulators are glass by the way, don't think there are plastic ones on transmission lines? The brown glazed porcelain ones seemed to appear interchangably with the glass ones, though the glass type was less common as far as I remember.

In my youth I had a bizarre collecting habit that included transmission line and telegraph insulators!

As for PMT's (pole mounted transformers) I'm not sure, I've lost most of those photos I think...

I'm surprised that there isn't more available commercially for this sort of detailing.

TTFN

Ben

• Like 2

Unlikely to have a single phase PMT in the BCB setting.  3 phase (415v phase to phase, 240v phase to neutral) would be a bit more likely, but a higher capacity substation, either an open compound or in a brick building would be more likely still.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The old cart shed / farm area might well have a single phase PMT, the 3 phase might well exist next to Millwards, the newer Labs might have underground cable as they would need more power.

Looking forward to meeting the BCB crew and seeing the layout in the flesh, hope to be there tomorrow afternoon bearing a few gifts, well some steel wagon loads.

Arthur

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all

It's been fairly quiet from the team since Doncaster. I think for all of us 'real life' caught up after the manic modelling period on the run up to Donny. The last 6 weeks have seen folk picking up on jobs and family life.

Today a reduced team is setting off for Ally Pally show. I say reduced because myself and Andy B are both working this weekend and cannot attend at all. Nigel and Mark are both working today and will be joining the team tonight. We've also heard that Andy Y won't be at Ally Pally due to illness. With that little lot and the forecast snow, we were beginning to think the show was cursed.

Despite all this, John's magical mystery tour started off last night by picking up bits of BCB from Mark, Andy Y and Andy B. It continued this morning with a trip up to snow-covered Stoke to pick up Geoff and a chunk of the layout. Around the same time Damian left the Newark area in car and trailer with another big collection of layout. The two convoys met up at my house within minutes of each other. The remaining lump of BCB was extracted from my garage and 'trainroom' and everything piled on to the van.

Within an hour, refreshed by tea and Club biscuits* they were off on their way and thinking of lunch**.... 

All the best chaps, have fun!

* A long dicussion was had about these and the end result was that we decided they had got smaller.

** Possibly a fast foodary at the next junction

• Like 1

While I'm not whingeing(!) , I do think that the scummaging Laws need a thorough review.

The fact that Wales were the better side wasn't all bad , It gave an excuse for those of us on 'tother side of the border an excuse to drown our sorrows!

• Like 1

IS IT ALL OVER?, IS IT ALL OVER?  IT IS NOW!

Well here is Oldbury Road - ready for Ally Pally tomorrow.

I can see many, many things I'm not happy with - but I hope that it will do.

post-123-0-46457500-1363972714.jpg

post-123-0-55179900-1363972729.jpg

post-123-0-98244000-1363972745.jpg post-123-0-44191400-1363972757.jpg

post-123-0-88745700-1363972800.jpg

post-123-0-69252300-1363972816.jpg

post-123-0-71302800-1363972831.jpg

My commentary on the build after Ally Pally

iD

• Like 14

MIDLAND LABORATORIES PHARMACEUTICALS NOW OPEN FOR BUSINESS.

I hope that it makes it in one piece to Ally Pally (Swiss and other passengers permitting)....

post-123-0-11152200-1363973047.jpg  post-123-0-04790100-1363973058.jpg

post-123-0-41908400-1363973070.jpg

post-123-0-97289600-1363973079.jpg

post-123-0-71483400-1363973095.jpg   post-123-0-89197300-1363973103.jpg

In al, I'm fairly happy with it, although I can see all the fudging I've done...

My commentary on the build after Ally Pally.

iD

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Both buildings looks the part Flavio,  I hope someone takes photos of them in place.

If trimming of the sockets is required, it's probably best if a razor saw is used - the socket tops are foamboard and won't take John or Damian attacking them with big, blunt objects*!

*like smelly blue diesels, pork pie or elbows

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evenin' all,

A second set of snowy best wishes for the weekend...this time from the wilds of the Staffs Moorlands. 

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, I understand the Staffs Moorlands has a fair bit of snow...got any photos?

Hi Chris,

We haven't even opened the front door today......I'll film a few scenes from the upstairs windows once it is light and post them in the morning.

I should have been in school this morning at Blackshaw Moor delivering lessons on forces but both the A53 and the school were closed. Our first charity coach trip of the year, to Oundle should have been tomorrow but that too has been re-scheduled. The blizzard conditions have severely reduced visibility and produced some serious drifting. 

Are any of your show crew affected?

Dave