Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

Ditto, gutted I can't play down in Ally Pally. But hey, I get a weekend at work instead.

Just think the money earned whilst working will pay for some new Bachmann goodies just announced.Every cloud.

• RMweb Gold

Ok, chaps, bit of a research question for the older members on here...

I've been asked to provide some electrical gubbins for the layout, speciflcally pole mounted transformers & associated stuff.

Would these two modern examples be representitive of equipment used in the mid 1970s ?

post-7025-0-11731100-1363391445_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-71871600-1363391458_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Keep up, we've been through this before... :O  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes, the well known Black Country Goat, commonly found at the top of mill buildings and boiler chimneys, Fred Dibnah's most feared mammal, a distant cousin of the eight-legged headless Black Country Sheep, known for their habit of canal swiming...

• Like 4

Steady, Stu, you are in danger of libeling some of the finest mammals known to the regular imbibers of 10 or 12 pints of Mr. Banks' finest liquor! (We couldn't afford Pink Elephants!)

And that Dibnah fella,he don't come from BC (aka God's country). 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My previous post may have been influenced by the recent partaking of a certain 'method in the madness' drink, the consumption of which was caused by the euphoria of Wales emphatically retaining the Six Nations Trophy.

• Like 5

Your 1st photo is of a 240 volt single phase transformer connected to a 11000 volt supply, suitable for domestic properties in rural settings.

Your 2nd photo is of a 415 volt industrial 3 phase transformer this is of a later period as the cooling tubes have been replaced by plates

welded to the tank.

mike  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike.

So the 240v Tx is suitable for the 1970s period ?  I'd not looked closely enough at the difference (pipes/ plates) - now you point it out, it's obvious !!

I did have drawings of single pole Txs plus other pole mounted gear (isolating bars, etc, from my time in the drawing office at Manweb in 1979, but these are long gone. I didn't take enough interest in them at the time to know now if any of the current installations have changed much from then, hence my request for help.

I'm sure that such experienced modellers already know of:

http://www.cgtextures.com/

As an excellent source of free, tiled, photo textures.  But as it is relevant to the last couple of posts I thought I'd post the link again in case anyone reading this hasn't come across it before.

I have scoured the cqtextures site and a few others without success in finding the patterned tile shown in my photo. there seem to be dozens of other tile patterns available, but......