Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

Sir,Sir, I never mentioned toilets, Sir, it was the big boys!

(though why anyone would be looking for such items is, quite frankly, a bit scary...)

Nope, I have no intention of adding a vicar & loo to Mr Spam's Fishnet Bridge, sorry to disappoint.

• Like 1

Well I guess it beats a hole in the side of Wednesbury's church.

What caused the hole?  Is the Church now redundant? I ask because my Father and his 4 Brothers were all Choir-boys there at various times between 1918 and about 1928. The fact that my Father was allowed in the choir always amazed me since he could not pitch musically as an adult. (I inherited the problem!)   

What caused the hole?  Is the Church now redundant? I ask because my Father and his 4 Brothers were all Choir-boys there at various times between 1918 and about 1928. The fact that my Father was allowed in the choir always amazed me since he could not pitch musically as an adult. (I inherited the problem!)   

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56607-black-country-blues-the-winning-rmweb-project-layout-proposal/page-18 post 441 - click on the pic - just over Andy's arm.

Ah, but paint the exhaust red and it could represent a Cherry Bomb (cherry whistler, as we used to call them) added by some young lad with the belief that noise equals speed.

And women!! no matter what the car......

In all seriousness though, some cracking modelling on show in here, truly inspirational stuff!

NEW TOYS FOR MLP

I will refrain from any comedic innuendo on the theme of "scrubber" and just present the Air Scrubber system (based, slightly modified, on a prototype air scrubber and filter) that now sits behind the MLP building.

First off, the overall area with the air unit in place:

post-123-0-21290500-1361769972.jpg

I have also modified the warning notice. I have no idea if it is prototypical - but it passes as "set dressing"

post-123-0-12959200-1361770041.jpg

Some closer details of the air scrubber:

post-123-0-43565700-1361770089.jpg post-123-0-60901000-1361770116.jpg

I was able to access a fine (1200dpi) colour printer, having redrawn the warning signs and other notices, I was able to print out legible instruction labels for the air scrubber:

post-123-0-47992100-1361770168.jpg

Regretfully, it also points out the spelling mistake I made and unfortunately now that the unit is in-situ I can't access the signs to replace them.

It is just about acceptable (especially when compared to BlackRat's superb water tower), but it will pass muster at normal viewing distance (and, there's the advantage that it will be partially hidden behind the lab building).

The only positive is that I now have some high quality printed MLP signs - which will replace the rather fuzzy ones currently adorning the two buildings

iD

p.s. I may be a bit too self-critical, as the cruel eye of my digital camera points out things I can't see without serious magnification, even when closely examining the item in my hand, but it is nonetheless frustrating to find things out when all is pretty much "done and dusted"

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 8

FG looks good Paul

Should the motors be strapped to the pallets as well as the lorry?

Cheers

Jim

i  never did  when i worked for an engineering company transporting heavy items like motors etc  ,  although the most likely scenario would be no pallates , heavy items like motors that were likely to be lifted were provided with a lifting eye bolt  on the ballance point at the top  so they were lifted with the forklifts forks overhead with a sling threaded through the eyebolt  once tied down or ratchet strapped  the pressure from the weight  and the tieing down would keep them in place

so if it was a company doing this work regular  no pallates would be the norm  far safer and more secure

• Like 2

This is worth a visit if you are in the area.

http://www.bmag.org.uk/museum-of-the-jewellery-quarter

When the 'time capsule' was opened they found two similar plain cardboard boxes side by side in the production area containing a white crystalline substance.  Samples were removed and sent for analysis.  One contained oxide of arsenic,  the other, sugar for the workers tea.

H&S? don't make me laugh!

This is worth a visit if you are in the area.

http://www.bmag.org.uk/museum-of-the-jewellery-quarter

When the 'time capsule' was opened they found two similar plain cardboard boxes side by side in the production area containing a white crystalline substance.  Samples were removed and sent for analysis.  One contained oxide of arsenic,  the other, sugar for the workers tea.

H&S? don't make me laugh!

Great link. I go regularly to Birmingham for the Warley show, I'll have to get out to the museum this year.

What can you say about the white crystalline substances? Presumably, back in Victorian times, workers were tough and didn't need all that namby-pamby H&S stuff.... (and had a mortality rate to match, one source gives the average age of death for the working class in 1840s Whitechapel as 22 years)

I think what needs to come back to H&S (which has a very important role to play) is common sense and proportionality.

Agree to the advice to visit the Jewellery Quarter Museum. Real time-warp stuff!

Working in an Industrial Lab. in the car industry many years ago, I once (and only once!) put granular tartaric acid into the tea (in a Lab beaker of course). it stayed a beautiful brown colour and I said "It looks to good to drink"! My goodness it tasted bitter and didn't get swallowed!! Much hilarity from "mates", and is always the first thing mentioned on the rare occasions when we meet!  H&S?? never heard of it!

Edited by DonB

• RMweb Premium

Agree to the advice to visit the Jewellery Quarter Museum. Real time-warp stuff!

Working in an Industrial Lab. in the car industry many years ago, I once (and only once!) put granular tartaric acid into the tea (in a Lab beaker of course). it stayed a beautiful brown colour and I said "It looks to good to drink"! My goodness it tasted bitter and didn't get swallowed!! Much hilarity from "mates", and is always the first thing mentioned on the rare occasions when we meet!  H&S?? never heard of it!

Well, your still here.

Just to clarify, the 'time capsule' was sealed in 1981, 7 years after the H&S Act was passed.  The discussion started as a criticism of various unsafe practices at the imaginary lab which the good doctor is building.  My point being that even in 1981, far less in 1975, no one took much notice of such state nanny-ism, and those kind of 'unsafe practices' were commonplace and should be portrayed thus.

Just to clarify, the 'time capsule' was sealed in 1981, 7 years after the H&S Act was passed.  The discussion started as a criticism of various unsafe practices at the imaginary lab which the good doctor is building.  My point being that even in 1981, far less in 1975, no one took much notice of such state nanny-ism, and those kind of 'unsafe practices' were commonplace and should be portrayed thus.

I don't doubt many employers & employees alike still flaunt H&S rules. It's when something goes wrong & they get taken to task for it that they start to worry....