Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

Very nice work Andy, but is my impression - that the cobblestones are lifting at the canal edge - correct or is it a photographic artefact?

iD

You're right, the self-adhesive backing wasn't so sticky after I'd been pulling and poking. After that photo the edging was tidied and painted some more.

The cobbles are from the Redutex range, fantastic material to work with http://www.pavononline.es/pavon/Familia/ECM_CAT1/REDUTEXHO.aspx - a latex type resin which is easy to cut and form to shape.

• Like 4

You're right, the self-adhesive backing wasn't so sticky after I'd been pulling and poking. After that photo the edging was tidied and painted some more.

The cobbles are from the Redutex range, fantastic material to work with http://www.pavononline.es/pavon/Familia/ECM_CAT1/REDUTEXHO.aspx - a latex type resin which is easy to cut and form to shape.

I've got a six inch nail in the garage that will sort that out

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks gents,

As a full time OO gauge modeller, I take on board your words of caution.

or get some wider wheels and come over to the dark side?  :devil:

Another question springs to mind - is it possible to fit AJs into NEM pockets ? I understand there is a lever action required to allow the two ends to uncouple using the downward motion of a magnet, but could this be incorporated into a pocket ?

I would imagine that it's technically possible - maybe by using a coil spring within the pocket to give sufficient movement to the coupling or by using the pocket at the opposite end to mount the coupling (if that makes sense).  Personally, I wouldn't though; one of the appeals of the AJ is how unobtrusive it is, so mounting them in a big ugly pocket which shouldn't really be there would detract from this (IMHO).

• RMweb Gold

Ignoring your first suggestion for a moment, I fully accept your reasoning about the pockets - they shouldn't be there, so it would make more sense visually to remove them.

If I were to get wider wheels for all my stock ( & I shudder to think of the cost ), the major stumbling block would be the track - despite any outward appearances, I am unable to solder or glue to any consistent level, so hand made track is out.

Which leaves me with desire to use AJs against their possible poor performance due to the variances of the lateral movement of stock.

I think some experimentation is in order.

• RMweb Premium

I think you'd surprise yourself with regards to track construction (if I can, anybody can), but know what you mean about the cost!

Which leaves me with desire to use AJs against their possible poor performance due to the variances of the lateral movement of stock.

I think some experimentation is in order.

A few things which might be worth a try if you are going to have a go:

• Slight increase in back to back to reduce some of the side to side movement
  • AJ style couplings with a longer tail
  • The Iain Rice variation on the AJ with an upside down hook at one end of the vehicle and a Spratt & Winkle-style goal post at the other (limitation: stock must not be turned!)
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I like the Iain Rice idea of the simple hook & bar - does this then rely on sprung buffers when pushing stock ?

Like AJs, it allows the buffer heads to touch when propelling rather than pushing on the coupling, but neither of these require sprung buffers.  Most of my stock has cast whitemetal buffers (LMS, ABS, MJT etc), I don't have the time or patience for fitting sprung buffers!

• Like 1

Right then,

The last few modelling days have been taken up putting a 'Clayliner' rake together, initially for use on the Black Country Blues project but it may also be the catalist for back-dating 'Diesels in the Duchy'.

Anyway progress is below....

post-8734-0-18025800-1362845828_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-42988900-1362845876_thumb.jpg

This is the base coat.

Next jobs;

-I'll pick out different plank colours,
-Spray the insides off-white,
-Paint planks black for numbers
-Apply numbers
-Dry brush weather

The plan is to finish for BCBs showing at Ally - Pally to accompany that beautiful new Western

• Like 3

Andy, shame on you! Royal Automobile CLUB !

Stewart

I'm quite surprised the owner of such vehicle still held valid membership of the Royal Automobile Association. ;)

Absolutely magnificent and love the missing headlight.

Edited by stewartingram

Absolutely magnificent and love the missing headlight.

Salvaged before it left Durber's In Doxey and already put to use in my father's F reg mk2 in Blue Mink.

Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well, it's on the move again.

This time spotted in Teesdale dumped by the side of the railway at Deepdale.

attachicon.gifIMGP5995-001.JPG

The RAC later turned up to cart it off...

attachicon.gifIMGP5996-001.JPG

I beg to ask the question, if it's on the back of a RAC lorry will it make the Ally Pally in a fortnight?

SS

This may be picky (especially given the deadline) but weren't many of the 'clayliner' opens uprated with roller bearings? Not all I realise, but I can't see any in your pictures.

Adam

• Like 1

This may be picky (especially given the deadline) but weren't many of the 'clayliner' opens uprated with roller bearings? Not all I realise, but I can't see any in your pictures.

Adam

From my notes in 1974-80, I'd say it was the greater majority of the ones used on the traffic to Stoke- only a fairly small proportion (1 in 10?)had oil axleboxes. In that period, I only saw one Clayhood in Potteries traffic, though I did note one or two OWVs lettered as UCV.
  • Like 2