Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

My only other concern is that this building was attached to several larger sheds, both behind and further along the road - were these part of the same company (in which case the yard might not have been big enough, or just neighbours ?

I have always assumed that this bit was part of the same company:

http://www.flickr.co...ms7/4122595195/

(Not sure how to put the image in direct)

Edited by Steve Williams

• RMweb Gold

I looked at that wall too. It seems to be the other side of a small off-road flat area, which seemed to me to be some sort of separation. Also, the style of the wall is a lot older than either the on-road shed to the right of the green building and the green building itself.

It would be good if BCB has room for that wall somewhere.

I'm getting the feeling that this building & yard is to be the extent of the business, so large fabrications are out. I like the metal-plating idea, lots of odd shaped items in the yard, plus the raw materials in chemical form (with maybe a leak into the canal ?). A boxfile co would need larger premises to handle the rolls of card & paper.

Another option would be a carpenter's workshop, maybe with a Damian-like figure outside wrestling with some high-legged tables ?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Steel plate / sheet is usually stored almost vertically in an 'A' frame this way a couple of blokes can move it relatively easily or for the thicker Plate a crane or gantry can pick it up using a couple of snail dogs on the end of a pair of strops. If the sheet is really thin then a bit of wood shoved in the cam helps to get a bite.

Cheers SS

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I looked at that wall too. It seems to be the other side of a small off-road flat area, which seemed to me to be some sort of separation. Also, the style of the wall is a lot older than either the on-road shed to the right of the green building and the green building itself.

It would be good if BCB has room for that wall somewhere.

I'm getting the feeling that this building & yard is to be the extent of the business, so large fabrications are out. I like the metal-plating idea, lots of odd shaped items in the yard, plus the raw materials in chemical form (with maybe a leak into the canal ?). A boxfile co would need larger premises to handle the rolls of card & paper.

Another option would be a carpenter's workshop, maybe with a Damian-like figure outside wrestling with some high-legged tables ?

If you want more length for a yard Stu, you can have it. Certainly the wall in the photos above would look good...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Chris,

I am OK with uploading files direct from my computer. It's how to link them from flickr and have them appear as an image rather than a link, that I don't know how to do.

I think you need to make a change in your Flickr settings so that in the "share" options it allows you to grab the BB code or HTML (almost sounded like I know what I'm talking about there, I can assure you that I don't!)

I think "that wall" will make a wonderful feature, but it was not connected physically to the office block, see post #57, and the overhead view in post #46 where it is partially shown at the bottom left of picture, apparently with waste ground behind it. The wall attached to the office is shown in post #3 supporting a corrugated roof which can be seen in the overhead butting up to the office.

None of the above waffle precludes modeller's licence from using "that wall"at either end of Stubby's proposal. There could be a similar wall facing onto the canal, or the open abandoned area could stretch down to the tow path, although I don't know of a prototype for that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ok, following yesterday's discussion about the wall, I've had a couple if ideas of how it could be incorporated.

Firstly, I imagine it could have been another building on the other side of the yard, which has been demolished, apart from the roadside and yard-side walls.

A further option is the yard-side wall has also been demolished and the yard has then been extended into the now free space.

post-7025-0-80804600-1351860880_thumb.jpg

The second idea was that the whole building originally backed onto the canal, and this new building has been built inside the original footprint, the rear wall retained as a boundary fence.

post-7025-0-08163800-1351860891_thumb.jpg

What do you think ?

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

How long do you want the wall ?

Illustrated shows 4 arched windows, original has 6.

Do you want a derelict site behind the wall, or do you have another industry that could be added ?

4 is probably about right Stu, there's room for 6 though. Derelict is probably good for now. There will be another shed on the right between your site and Flavio's other (Tennents) building.

• Like 1

I think that you would still need a wall at the rear.

It would keep the area secure, even though the area has now been demolished, it would still retain it's boundaries.

Why have the wall at the front if you can get in at the back? (access from canal path.)

Also, would expect to see the foot print of the internal walls on the concrete floor left behind.

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave.

There will be a wall at the back, but not as intricate as this one. Depending on how much of the internal space I'm allowed, or has been aquired by the business, the yard will be a mixture of the original floor ( possibly cobbles) , concrete and the ex-floor of the demolished building, which would include the footings of the old internal walls or pillars.

There is also the general ground profile to follow, so the yard floor might involve different levels.

It's all still up for discussion, but any thoughts like yours are more than welcome.

• RMweb Gold

Oooh, yes please !!

I was just about to cut out the door which opens on to the fire escape, so I'll wait to see what dimensions it is.

Thanks for the extra area, need to decide how best to use it.