RMweb

Getting close to wildlife - literally

Guest 34008Padstow

• RMweb Gold

Probably after small nestlings - Yes, I watched Springwatch!

A couple of days ago, I heard what I thought was a heavy knock on the front door (glazed) of our flat. It turned out to be a woodpecker that had flown full tilt into the glass. Stayed, rather stunned, on our doorstep for quite a few minutes. I had not realised how big they are.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

I was in Scotland last week end and called in at The Loch of Lowes to see the Ospreys and other wildlife . Of course with Perth just down the road I spent all day Saturday at the exhibition and a very fine show it was too.

Can the experts out there confirm that in photo 2 the birds are Siskins please ?

Apologies over the last photo of the Ospreys but they are obviously a fair way away. I was using a 550 zoom to get even that close.

Regards

Pete

post-8230-0-67654500-1499114662_thumb.jpg

post-8230-0-83481200-1499114674_thumb.jpg

post-8230-0-81827800-1499114691_thumb.jpg

post-8230-0-43213800-1499114708_thumb.jpg

post-8230-0-94955000-1499114728_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Can the experts out there confirm that in photo 2 the birds are Siskins please ?

Pete

They certainly look like Siskins. We used to get them in the garden when I lived in Camerton.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We have seen very few butterflies and not that many insects generally down here on the coast at Seaford. I think that the fairly persistent breeze we have had over much of the Spring may account for some of the low numbers. I have seen a single Comma, ditto Tortoiseshell, ditto Gatekeeper etc etc.- none staying long enough to get my camera out. This Small White did hang around for a bit.

post-14351-0-51884800-1499208825_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 4

We had a visitor this morning, on its way home after attending a Fourth of July party in the US:

post-1771-0-13761900-1499277228.jpg

post-1771-0-14378000-1499277248.jpg

post-1771-0-02702800-1499277265.jpg

We regularly see eagles, but not often this close to the house. They usually ride thermals over the industrial area on the edge of the inlet about half a mile away.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

A couple of snaps from today's amble round by the beach. I hope the second one is not too 'wild' for this site. I couldn't identify the fifth beetle, It clearly wanted to keep its presence fairly well hidden.

post-14351-0-71959300-1499534029_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-75964300-1499534031_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

going out to work at 5 this morning nearly stood on a baby hedgehog that had decided to have a nap on our door step

How big was this hedgehog exactly as could be a bit young to be away from its mother

It maybe that it needs to be in a rescue center

A chap brought us six babies this week that weren't wiend and we took them to a center

For some reason I can't see the picture

• RMweb Premium

How big was this hedgehog exactly as could be a bit young to be away from its mother

A chap brought us six babies this week that weren't wiend and we took them to a center

All I can see is a message from Photobucket saying 'Please update your account for third party hosting.', but I don't even have a Photobucket account.

• RMweb Premium

i left a note for my wife and he was still there so see took him a local wildlife centre

• Like 2

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Bumped into this rather soggy looking fella as I was coming out of an HV switch room at work. Reckon I could have stroked him he was that game. not that I'd risk it!

I must say your UK foxes, even when wet and bedraggled look a darn sight healthier than some of the ones I've seen floating around in Oz, Mangy looking things usually, especially as you get a bit further out from the coast.

Because they are an introduced pest and cause havoc with  native wildlife like Numbats and quolls they are generally shot on sight or baited by the Parks and wildlife. (Although introduced rabbits, rats and cats probably create more havoc !)

I do have a bit of a soft spot for them (foxes), I don't really know why :scratchhead:

Edited by The Blue Streak