The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Getting close to wildlife - literally

Guest 34008Padstow

• RMweb Premium

While at a Bird of prey display at the RHS gardens at Wisley yesterday I got a very close encounter with a harris hawk which missed its landing post and used the back of my seat instead

• RMweb Gold

While at a Bird of prey display at the RHS gardens at Wisley yesterday I got a very close encounter with a harris hawk which missed its landing post and used the back of my seat instead

Bit painfull, bending over were you.......... :sarcastichand:

• RMweb Premium

Butterfly population up the valley seemed excellent - hundreds of conspicuous large whites but also peacocks and red admirals - and unless I am very much mistaken silver washed fritillaries on the buddlias outside the engine house at Highley. They wouldn't keep still long enough for a photo so can anyone else confirm please?

I've had far more butterflies here this year than I've had in the last 13 summers, I think it must be a good year for them.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

I came across this feller last summer in my neighbour's garden :). His mum was out of shot just to the right - believe me I knew exactly where she was!

post-14192-0-93265200-1376279916.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I've had far more butterflies here this year than I've had in the last 13 summers, I think it must be a good year for them.

Adrian

Know what you mean Adrian - I think things were late in the lepidopteran calendar this year but once the weather dried out and warmed up then populations do seem to be good

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

A Falcon nesting in a tree

One of God's many wonders. 

Friends, 

I’ve received many remarkable nature photographs over the years but this photo of a nesting Falcon is perhaps the most remarkable Nature shot that I’ve ever seen. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Nature is truly breath-taking!

http://i.imgur.com/YW6Fufm.jpg

Edited by shortliner

reminds me of one saturday morning whilst cleaning at Glazebrook east junction heard a swishing noise through the open door (was drying the floor )  and there on the hand rail for the stairs was a Harris hawk it sat for several minuets contemplating me before swooping away into the fields where its owner was waiting truly beautiful 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Just saw/found this thead...

Buffalo in Custer State park, South Dakota.

About 2 ft. away, through CLOSED windows attempting to avoid eye contact.

These things have what the park rangers call a "mean disposition", witness by a car being butted in front of us!

post-20244-0-64195500-1400166580.jpg

• Like 3

Was that deliberate framing of the Buffalo? :no:

(I mean the one in the mirror!)

Kev.

Amazingly enough NO! It was/is amusing though, and we laughed once we saw it. When a group or herd are passing the car(s) you tend to remain fairly still and just take whatever shots you can with little concern for framing when they're that close :O

It WAS an experience though, they're spectacular beasts - actually had been on my bucket list for years to see some in the wild, so that's checked off :locomotive:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Amazingly enough NO! It was/is amusing though, and we laughed once we saw it. When a group or herd are passing the car(s) you tend to remain fairly still and just take whatever shots you can with little concern for framing when they're that close :O

It WAS an experience though, they're spectacular beasts - actually had been on my bucket list for years to see some in the wild, so that's checked off :locomotive:

It could have been worse, you might have ended up having to clean the car. :O

Guest 34008Padstow

Since it was a lovely hot day here in Cornwall i decided to get out in the garden.

post-6777-0-40914000-1400275992_thumb.jpeg

post-6777-0-65168700-1400276043_thumb.jpeg

Guest eddie reffin

Does bowling a sheep over a fence with a 158 count?? Recently had a little bit of sheepy trespass and no matter how much blowing of the two tone I tried it was determined to become chops! No damage to the unit except a complaint from first class about the blood on the side window...

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday while going out to the gates I spotted this Moth, no-idea what sort of moth it is, but it was enjoying the sun which was falling on the Blacks lock of the gate:

post-8375-0-87997600-1400436898.jpg

post-8375-0-52133300-1400436923.jpg

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday while going out to the gates I spotted this Moth, no-idea what sort of moth it is, but it was enjoying the sun which was falling on the Blacks lock of the gate:

that is a cinnabar moth or to give its posh name Tyria jacobaeae

Edited by jbqfc

• 2 weeks later...

Came across this little fellow near Kaw Wildlife Park, Arkansas City, KS, today. Being the hero, I had to rescue it. Didn't realise how fast they can move, nor how powerfully they can dig in when they don't want to be moved.

post-15-0-79555800-1402027344_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-13235400-1402027335.jpg

• Like 2

Guest CLARENCE

Quite an old photograph (2006, I think) but still one of my favourites, red squirrel on our bird-table.

post-283-0-12368600-1402071422.jpg

Cheers, David

Edited by CLARENCE

Guest CLARENCE

A few more oddments, taken a few years ago.

Face-off!

post-283-0-36545600-1402071825_thumb.jpg

Nest-Builder. That's the dog's toy.

post-283-0-60936100-1402071848.jpg

Young Wagtail.

post-283-0-95967300-1402071867.jpg

Hoping for dinner!

post-283-0-63424600-1402071900_thumb.jpg

David

Edited by CLARENCE