RMweb

Getting close to wildlife - literally

Guest 34008Padstow

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

We've had a Trail Camera out to monitor activity at our hedgehog feeding station and hibernatorium for some time, and we've been surprised to capture footage of what we think are bats. The only trouble is that they appear for only a few frames and are usually travelling so fast they are just a blur. Stepping through, frame by frame, the images vary from a narrow flash of light, via an almost dragonfly silhouette to a large parallelogram. In fact I suspect that every Star Wars fighter shape, and more, has appeared. We're convinced that we are seeing a number of different species, does anyone know if anyone could identify them for us?

339800312_1bat1.png.998e6d3523c19d06c5f269ff7bfaf904.png1989299031_1bat2.png.108a6a835a7158bb32c24989931d4faf.png1356262695_1bat3.png.555478ea3557ce820272c3bff28d0cf5.png1599036199_1bat4.png.08931741a5a7e1411caeda36803c4cd0.png1810990540_1bat5.png.012d26b94c344213037ea9ec9672661e.png

What is particularly surprising is that the camera is noise/motion activated and only takes 15 seconds of video, and is working some 20 or 30 times a night, yet we seem to get two or three sightings most nights, which would suggest we are receiving many more visits than we are capturing, unless the bats' calls are activating the camera, or the infra-red light attracts them and/or the moths they prey on.  The area under surveillance is only about 15 feet square, enclosed by buildings, a fence and shrubbery, so they are having to drop down to ground level quite sharply, and, although Sutton is a very leafy and green London borough, nonetheless the immediate surroundings are fully residential. 

However, notwithstanding that comment, last November a woodcock turned up in our garden, a bird I've never seen in the wild before

image.png.41512cacca997ab99d8dcc62ba245db5.png

Bats are quite common around our MRC clubroom which is adjacent to a cricket field surrounded by thick hedges.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just spotted outside of my kitchen window, a dragonfly. Rather unusual as to my knowledge there are no ponds or streams within 500 metres. Quite possible that its been blown off course by the strong breeze. Sorry I was unable to take photographs but it was a reddish brown colour.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Bats are quite common around our MRC clubroom which is adjacent to a cricket field surrounded by thick hedges.

Always had bats wherever we have lived in England . I think they are more common than they are given credit for. Special too....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Always had bats wherever we have lived in England . I think they are more common than they are given credit for. Special too....

I think your correct, back in Essex (a small town not middle of the country/no where) I must have fished out a dozen or more bats from our swimming pool on summer mornings where they had skimmed in the night for a drink and misjudged either the surface or coping edge.......always upset me that, where we are now I see them whizzing around the lane’s lamp at night feasting on the various flying beasties attracted to the light.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

On Friday we took the sd card out of one camera to check it. As we were talking, a weasel walked right past the camera with a baby in its mouth! A minute earlier and we'd have the photographic proof! This is only the third weasel I've seen on our property in 13 years.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 03/08/2020 at 18:09, Barry Ten said:

...snip... the camera with a baby in its mouth!  ...snip...

Odd, I have never seen a camera with a mouth; let alone carrying a baby! :jester:

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

We had these and the first time I saw one I did a double take...i havent been drinking and theres a humming bird in Strood.

First time I ever saw one was when we moved down here, I had the same reaction as I thought “never thought humming birds were that small!” .......then I realised.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Each time I've gone to my ponds this week I've startled a green woodpecker which has obviously taken a fancy to them. I'm hoping to set up a trap camera to see if I can catch him before he flies off.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Pretty sure we’ve had two Asian Hornets in the house this weekend.......had a look online and they match the Asian Hornet closer than anything else I can see, angry little bu99ers as well, buzz like fury when trapped.

Would be very happy If somebody who knew better could confirm this, but coincidentally there has been sightings in Fowey as well just a few miles up the road.

2B15809A-0C6D-4A0E-91AA-88F04157C053.jpeg.219f9ddfbc006dbb418957fa6aa7af40.jpeg9D747395-52B1-42C0-B08A-C9CBB09AB7C8.jpeg.7f4052fa6bef7f75e81ed19d5cce86a2.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

Why does that last photo put me in mind of the parrot sketch...its bleedin demised!

:D

Having looked intently for a while on t’net......I have come to the conclusion with eyes that big it must be just a Hoverfly, no sting but BIG and very noisy.......bit of a relief though.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2