Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Getting close to wildlife - literally

Guest 34008Padstow

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Had a tip-off that otters have returned to the wetlands near us so I've been up most mornings bright and early with my camera ... but no luck so far. I have seen them in the past but only twice in ten years. Hopefully persistence will pay off. In the meantime at least I get some landscape photography done.

marsh.jpg.d423693b7c304b41cef25994f2a0299c.jpg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Fantastic. I'm never fast enough with a camera, on the rare occasions we get one.

They often sit at the back of the house in the sun, this one was sat there for almost 5 minutes, got 2 dozen shots lol, need to give the windows another clean.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

It's around the time when some birds will return to boxes to roost. We had a great tit resident in one of our boxes right through the latter part of last year (and the year before) all the way through to spring and nesting time. In fact I've been checking the box this week to see if she's in.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 10/10/2020 at 12:10, Barry Ten said:

Fantastic. I'm never fast enough with a camera, on the rare occasions we get one.

I missed one an hour ago, too slow with the camera. I did manage one a few years ago. Sparrow feathers all over the back garden. 

Paul

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I think I just missed one too. I was wheeling my bike into the conservatory after another fruitless attempt to spot otters*, when there was an explosion of wing sounds and frantic cheeping behind me. Usually that's a sign that a sparrowhawk has come through.

* a couple of days ago I missed a sighting by five minutes. I was on my jogging route when I spotted a couple of women on a bridge over the Cynon looking at something in the water. One of them showed me a clip they'd got on their phone, a lovely sighting of an otter. I've been back to the same spot several times since but not seen it yet.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...