RMweb

Getting close to wildlife - literally

Guest 34008Padstow

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I spotted the fox this morning sunning himself in a concealed part of the garden. He looks a bit sleepy but no more than you would expect from a nocturnal animal.

And the fox has brought his friend, there's now two of them.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great weekend staying at Sandwich Bay Bird Observatory, saw loads of wildlife including our first Cuckoo of the year and an Osprey flying over! 

P1160679_2jpg.jpg.4d5655e03e77c3561636acfb343d35e9.jpg

P1170130_2jpg.jpg.a44d8037baece87ed586f2529cf2223a.jpg

Also got to feed a Robin too! 

P1160946.JPG.35a1d164ff81cb9fc723740825c35e57.JPG

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

after not having any hedgehogs use the nest box for the last couple of weeks  i had two last night i will stop looking in now just in case they are little one on the way 

280656232_10209820776552656_6128518883209922246_n.jpg

Edited by jbqfc
spelling
  • Like 18

We had two male red-shafted northern flickers facing off in the back yard this afternoon:

IMG_2517.JPG.36e2f81303359345883cba2a24f0e560.JPG

No contact, just posturing.

This was the one that stayed when it was over:

IMG_2521.JPG.a5583f8da40ea7e99eb4df515a072406.JPG

'Red-shafted' refers to the colour of the feathers on the underside of the wings and tail. You can see that on the tail in the second picture.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, pH said:

We had two male red-shafted northern flickers facing off in the back yard this afternoon:

IMG_2517.JPG.36e2f81303359345883cba2a24f0e560.JPG

No contact, just posturing.

This was the one that stayed when it was over:

IMG_2521.JPG.a5583f8da40ea7e99eb4df515a072406.JPG

'Red-shafted' refers to the colour of the feathers on the underside of the wings and tail. You can see that on the tail in the second picture.

"Beautiful plumage"

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, pH said:

We had two male red-shafted northern flickers facing off in the back yard this afternoon

That means something very different on a Saturday in Newcastle. 🥴

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Spotted in my back garden about an hour ago, a vixen with three cubs. I watched them for a while until they realised I was there and they promptly disappeared.

PS it wasn't me that scared them off but a dog barking.

Edited by PhilJ W
PS
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Holidaying up in the Western Highlands at the moment and having already seen an Otter and various species of birds (including my first suspected Skua) I got to see my first White Tailed Sea Eagle today, albeit through the lens of my viewing scope.

Going by the bird calls there are plenty of Cuckoos up here and I'm also surprised at how many Goldfinches that I've seen, they seem to be everywhere I go ... or are they just following my van ?? 🤔

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

There are three fox cubs using my back garden as a playground. One of them espying a starling sitting on the six foot brick wall surrounding tried to catch it. The cub easily jumped to the top of the wall but by then the starling had gone.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Saw our first Swifts today, but we were near Restormel Castle so quite a way inland, loads of them this morning swooping around for the bugs, never see any at home I think because we are next to the sea and bugs flying high near the sea isn’t their natural thing to do, any way it was nice to watch.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The foxes have been taking advantage of my back garden recently. Not one but two litters of cubs, several weeks apart as one litter is almost fully grown and the other is barely weaned. No photographs I'm afraid as at the slightest noise or movement they disappear.

• Like 2

I was up our local Glen at the weekend looking for Adders to film but didn't find any, but Cuckoos were around, at least 3 calling males, saw 3 Red Kites as well, lots of Lapwings around and saw our first baby one this year up there, though lower down near to our village the Lapwing chicks are at least 2 weeks ahead of them.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 22/05/2022 at 12:37, jbqfc said:

the pond in the front garden is starting to attract the wildlife a large red damselfly 

large red damselfly

large red damselfly

Damsels are beautiful! Was out in the River Lugg near Leominster yesterday …. Always a lot of Banded Demoiselles but this Beautiful Demoiselle seemed to think it is a dragonfly….

F8B59A39-2F2F-41BD-B74E-CF391E2C9E70.jpeg.2c68a497b755308137002bcb60490cde.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
On 22/05/2022 at 12:21, steve1 said:

This little blighter has nearly chewed the whole base away of the feeder.

steve

6C6EC856-D1BD-4456-B322-FA7D4F2BD7A0.jpeg

Squirrels have taken one of our feeders away completed, went out yesterday to look for it in the border and refill and hang and it has gone, gone totally….no where to be seen!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1