The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Getting close to wildlife - literally

Guest 34008Padstow

• RMweb Gold

This looks like something you'd pick up in a garden centre, but it's real, honest! Picked up on one of our

trail cameras in Februrary, but we didn't check the card until the weekend.

02220121.JPG.9df956f3ee10065dec59195eea5afa9c.JPG

• Like 13

I'm not sure if this counts as wildlife, but it was certainly getting close:

pelican.jpg.8872dd845ccaae37816257672b9ebe52.jpg

A Pelican in St James's Park, yesterday while on my way home from an IMechE Railway Division seminar.

Apparently there have been Pelicans here since 1664 when the first pair were gifted to King Charles. I knew he was getting on a bit but I didn't realise he was that old!

• Like 9
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

We have a holly bush in the front garden and my Dad spotted a Holly Blue butterfly in it for the first time. Taken with my mobile.

IMG_20240504_145923.jpg

• Like 16

Posted (edited)

I saw this little guy in my neighbours garden yesterday, now I know where my plants have gone! 😉

358eea34-5152-44ec-8b30-70c20aa964ae.jpg.e1f78484382fc433ca738db259e175f6.jpg

Edited by sb67
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)

The little vixen that has been showing up regularly, brought her cubs at the weekend, they happily ran around the garden for a while then vanished, the cubs haven't been back with her since.

e022bf43-91f1-4775-97cc-6bc5ff3e3311.jpg.b5346dbf4ea62dc3993e523c62d7ac65.jpg

e34ac87d-c45f-4572-95f7-b0df9ead55f7.jpg.2a756195007f41faebfc38ebba0ecb91.jpg

Edited by sb67
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, sb67 said:

The little vixen that has been showing up regularly, brought her cubs at the weekend, they happily ran around the garden for a while then vanished, the cubs haven't been back with her since.

e34ac87d-c45f-4572-95f7-b0df9ead55f7.jpg.2a756195007f41faebfc38ebba0ecb91.jpg

I recall reading a biography of Rommel, in it was a photo of him holding a pet fox. This was long before WW2 so no relation the the Sahara.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Twice I had a bat get into my house. Scary (due to the possibility of rabies) but managed to get them out.

Here in the UK many bat species are protected and if any roost in your house you are not allowed to remove them. But we do not have a rabies in this country due to tight border controls. Rabies has been eliminated in most European countries.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Here in the UK many bat species are protected and if any roost in your house you are not allowed to remove them. But we do not have a rabies in this country due to tight border controls. Rabies has been eliminated in most European countries.

Bats in the UK do carry a form of rabies and there have been deaths (though it is treatable).

https://www.bats.org.uk/about-bats/bats-and-disease/bats-and-disease-in-the-uk/bats-and-rabies

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rabies-risks-from-bat-bites/information-for-individuals-who-have-been-bitten-by-a-bat

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I had to rescue a robin the other day.  It was lying in the road looking stunned and I picked it up fully expecting a gory mess.  Fortunately it seemed intact, so I put it in a hedge and an hour or so later there was no robin in the hedge, but one was foraging in the gutter.  So I showed it one of those road safety films with Tufty and the voice of Bernard Cribbins and hoped for the best...

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 8

Posted (edited)

I often get fruit bats (also called Flying Foxes) going overhead in the evenings off to feed wherever it is that they find fruit or flowers. Best seen on an overcast evening when they show-up against the clouds.

image.png.c34051540e6a8bec4eb2d91a3b5da6db.png

image.png.a164366df72f3be3c5fb5b5fd0b45544.png

They do have the potential to carry two very nasty viruses - the Bat Lyssavirus and the Hendra virus so injured ones should never be handled. Bat carers have vaccinations against the Lyssavirus but there is none available for the Hendra virus, though that one at least does not transfer directly from bat to human, but goes via horses who have eaten grass with faeces from an infected bat, who then pass the virus to humans via secretions. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/05/2024 at 11:28, PhilJ W said:

When we had a bat get into our house (not roosting) we were in contact with the Bat Conservation Trust and given directions on how to get it safely into a box and transported to a bat hospital down in the Gower.

The experience was a spur for us joining the BCT and buying a bat detector, which we continue to enjoy.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

IMG_9586.JPG.45487bfd7aaee08b37907949b35c4c53.JPG

Not only did I hear my first Cuckoo, but managed to get a photo! Watched it sat in the tree having a shout for a few minutes.

Fantastic! I've heard them every year but only ever sen one in about 5 years!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, pH said:

This is not a garden ornament.

My son’s back yard this morning.

IMG_2717.jpeg.e5ef8808ffa6aba99987c2e16f8c8bbd.jpeg

Best Goalie in the world!

Kev.

• Funny 2