The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Ugly Ships

edcayton

Following on from recent comments here about the ugliness and apparent instability of the new generation of passenger cruise ships, I have just watched a TV programme about a livestock carrier called the Becrux. it comes up straight away on Google, and what a brute.

I have to say that it put me in mind of the slave ships, especially as they unceremoniously dumped the dead ones over the side. Not a bad advocate for vegetarianism (no, I'm not, but my ex and both sons are).

Ed

• RMweb Gold

I have to say that it put me in mind of the slave ships, especially as they unceremoniously dumped the dead ones over the side.

Sadly they were not always dead, IIRC they were insured and consequently the loss of the entire "load" was more profitable.

Most of these depicted so far have some redeeming features. This one doesn't.

http://louiebaur.com...of-los-angeles/

Reading the blurb about the efficiency of design is seems that being shaped like a brick with a pointy end is more fuel efficient and creates less wind resistance. Knocks all the theories about streamlining onto their head. Perhaps Oliver Bulleid can say to Sir Nigel Gresley, "I told you so".

Reading the blurb about the efficiency of design is seems that being shaped like a brick with a pointy end is more fuel efficient and creates less wind resistance. Knocks all the theories about streamlining onto their head. Perhaps Oliver Bulleid can say to Sir Nigel Gresley, "I told you so".

It is more aerodynamic than having tall bits, short bits, and random sticky-out bits, but I can see windage and surface area drag being issues. Being able to pack all the cars into a box shape does maximize the use of the volume and therefore minimizes the size of ship required for a given number of cars, which increases efficiency. It is like a full container ship without all those inefficient and drag-inducing gaps between the containers.

It is still ugly, and looks like the box it came in (a comment also attached to the Chapparal 2J race car, which was similarly shaped....)

Adrian

I saw another programme in the same series about the Emma Maersk, which it claimed to be the largest ship in current service, which surprised me because she can, and regularly does, pass through the Suez canal.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Back in October 2007 I spent a weekend at Southamption snapping the QE2 and QM2. I have snapped a few other ships and here are the three worst looking vessels I snapped:

"Morning Charlotte" - car carrier vessel - strictly functional design, no finesse at all.

post-6826-0-47573500-1338918001.jpg

"Anvil Point" - a ro-ro which is the very last ship to have been built at Harland & Woolf at Belfast. Best described as a "homely" boat.

post-6826-0-14973200-1338918159.jpg

"Undine" - another ro-ro. The livery is so depressing that I can easily imagine this being converted to a prison ship!

post-6826-0-08719100-1338918269.jpg

• RMweb Gold

"Anvil Point" looks like the "Bering Strait" linked to earlier with the side sheets cut away. I quite like it, some nice sharp angles, quite workmanlike.

"Morning Charlotte" ("morning dear...") looks like there's a normal ship tucked inside there!

EDIT - meant to add, current cruise ships just look like blocks of flats to me, no style or interesting features, not much better than the "Morning Ace" car carrier! ;) Having seen my dad's video of the old QE2 meeting new Queen Victoria in Sydney harbour, I know which one I'd rather travel on - well actually, I have no wish at all to go on a cruise ship, but in principle...

Guest Max Stafford

'Heroic Ace' takes the prize so far; hit every branch on the way down and all the elegance of a prefab concrete khazi!

Another favourable vote for 'Anvil Point' though!

Dave.

I saw another programme in the same series about the Emma Maersk, which it claimed to be the largest ship in current service, which surprised me because she can, and regularly does, pass through the Suez canal.

Ed

She is (or was, Maersk ordered larger ships and other lines may have built bigger) the largest container ship by TEU (Twenty foot equivalent units), which doesn't neccesarily make her too big to pass through the Suez canal.

It is more aerodynamic than having tall bits, short bits, and random sticky-out bits, but I can see windage and surface area drag being issues. Being able to pack all the cars into a box shape does maximize the use of the volume and therefore minimizes the size of ship required for a given number of cars, which increases efficiency. It is like a full container ship without all those inefficient and drag-inducing gaps between the containers.

It is still ugly, and looks like the box it came in (a comment also attached to the Chapparal 2J race car, which was similarly shaped....)

Adrian

One plus point of a ship as tall as Heroic Age might be that pirates would have a hard time getting aboard!!

I did a short film for the local news about one of these large box shaped car carriers, a Norwegian one I think, when it was in Southampton about twenty five years ago and they were quite novel. It was amazing how fast the drivers got the cars off them without hitting anything. Very weird inside, basically a multi story car park with a fairly comfortable hotel on a single floor on top but the crew told me that they were very uncomfortable in any sort of sea as the accomodation moved a great deal. Presumably that's less of a problem for the really large ones.I can see windage being difficult but would surface area drag be a factor at 20 knots?

I actually find Anvil Point not unattractive shame Hurry and Worry aren't still building them. The big box car carriers may be ugly but reading the blurb on Heroic Age I noticed that they were built in Japanese shipyards. Given the high value of the Yen just why exactly weren't we able to keep a viable shipbuilding industry - Could it have been a government that decided that manufacturing industry was less desirable than banking? Ugly as they are I'd far rather see these on the Clyde than weed covered open spaces where the yards used to be.

... but would surface area drag be a factor at 20 knots?

It is probably not as significant as the drag that would be induced by a similar capacity ship of a more traditional form with more drag-inducing protrusions.

Adrian

I did a short film for the local news about one of these large box shaped car carriers, a Norwegian one I think, when it was in Southampton about twenty five years ago and they were quite novel. It was amazing how fast the drivers got the cars off them without hitting anything. Very weird inside, basically a multi story car park with a fairly comfortable hotel on a single floor on top but the crew told me that they were very uncomfortable in any sort of sea as the accomodation moved a great deal. Presumably that's less of a problem for the really large ones.I can see windage being difficult but would surface area drag be a factor at 20 knots?

Heavy seas can be a big problem for the roll-on/roll-off car carriers.

More on the MV Cougar Ace.

Try this. Argentina again but rather different from the ship in the other thread. Right down at the southern tip near the Falkland Islands.

Bernard

post-149-0-58122400-1339145080_thumb.jpg

Looks a bit the worse for wear but if you were on a lee shore and that tug (in her prime) was coming to your rescue she'd be the most beautiful thing you ever saw.

Cheers,

David

• 3 months later...

Just come across this thread (by accident) and rather surprised to see all the positive comments about the mighty 'Anvil Point', as she is in fact my current home from home. There are 6 ships in that class and I've been sentenced to sailed on all of them at some point in the last 6 years or so.

Here's a shot of her sister ship 'Hurst Point' looking nicely spruce:

post-9382-0-39964200-1348174745_thumb.jpg

Regarding a nice looking ship, I've always found the British India 'C' class hard to beat for a combination of workmanlike elegance and traditional 'Empire' atmosphere, so here's a shot of 'Chandpara'. As a professional seaman, this ship ticked all the boxes for me!

post-9382-0-66803700-1348175175_thumb.jpg

It's worth noting that 'Anvil Point' can run around with a basic crew of 18 men, whilst Chandpara normally had approximately 80 onboard - and she was a much smaller ship.

Archived