CamRail 2012

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

After last year's Colonel Stephens tour de force, this year sees a more catholic collection of exhibits which will hopefully appeal to regulars and new visitors alike. Last year's show raised just over £500.00 for the Railway Children charity, and any profits from this year's show will again be donated to this worthwhile cause.

Layouts appearing this year:

“Ardleigh Noel†16mm Scale narrow gauge

Dick Dorton's 16mm Scale in a manageable space with an original and creative scenic treatment. A flag waving guard, a tail wagging dog and some of Peter Barnfield's marvellous creations are all promised.

“Barnwood Junction†4mm Scale OO

A first showing for a well observed depiction of a depot on the pre privatisation railway in Gloucestershire in 4mm scale by Martyn Normanton aided and abetted by Tom Curtis and Adrian Full. All fully paid up members of the excellent DEMU group, dedicated to documenting and modelling Cyril Freezer's “modern image†and everything that came afterwards.

“Bishopsmead†4mm Scale 00

On the circuit for twenty odd years and as popular as ever, Bishopsmead is a busy terminus on the Western/Central division of the LMS during the 1930s. Stanier's flush sided stock and modern locomotives are by now firmly established but much historic stock remains to be seen, a fine model railway from the age before everything could be bought ready made.

“Black Rock†10mm scale Standard Gauge

Chris and Dennis Lepper's fine model of the glory days of trams in Ireland. All built to 10mm scale and running on standard gauge. Since its first appearance in 2004 it now boasts more authentically modelled and finished stock, completed inset track and pointwork and a beautifully detailed street scene. Patrons in the bar will be familiar to followers of Sergio Leone and his westerns!!

“Nottingham Goods†4mm Scale P4

Dave Barrett's imaginative representation of the busy Midland Railway goods warehouse and associated railway lines in Nottingham during the heyday of operations in 1923. Properly staged so that the warehouse can be viewed from both sides, this is a model that will handsomely repay closer inspection.

“Portpyn†1/34 Scale narrow gauge

Christopher Payne's internationally acclaimed narrow gauge classic. A small port on the south coast of England served by the 2' gauge South Wessex Light Railway, a common carrier in the best of English traditions.

“Valentia Harbour†4mm Scale Irish Broad Gauge

Any Cundick's latest creation, the terminus of the scenic Great Southern and Western branch from Farranfore, work in progress but the trains should be running.

“Wenford Bridge†2mm Scale standard gauge

John Greenwood's acclaimed depiction of the small goods station that lay at the end of the Bodmin and Wadebridge Railway as it appeared during the Southern Railway era. Apart from the exquisite locomotives and rolling stock the highlight of this masterpiece must surely be the operating yard crane.

“Wyandotte Siding†HO Scale

Ken Smith's atmospheric evocation of a passing place on the Southern Pacific's Chico Valley Line in the 1950s, in the transition era from steam to diesel power. Featuring accurately modelled track and operated by “Digitrax†and featuring DCC sound.

Demonstrators:

John Dopson demystifies painting and lining, almost by royal appointment(!)

Alan Doddington will be modelling and extolling the virtues of the GWR in 4mm scale.

Bob Brown will be demonstrating and showing part of his new layout in 3mm scale

Rich Brown will be scratcbuilding LB&SCR rolling stock in 7mm Scale.

Steph Dale will be de-mystifying DCC

Societies

The Festiniog Railway will be representing their twin delights in North Wales, both now fully operational and well worth investigating.

Traders

Finney and Smith will be feeding the finescale habit with vital metal supplies and assorted technicalia.

The Gas Cupboard will have all the latest from Hornby and Bachmann together with numerous model railway accessories and supplies.

Robin Tett will be in attendance with a plethora of previously owned model railway equipment.

The Titfield Thunderbolt Bookshop will have the latest in quality railway publishing

Camrail 2012 will take place on Saturday and Sundaythe 21st and 22nd of July 2012 at Saint Margarets Hall in the centre of Bradford on Avon.

Opening times 11.00am to 5.30pm on both days,

Admission fees £4.00 adults, £3.50 concessions, accompanied under 16s free

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It certainly sounds that way from the Cap'n's description of the layouts - definitely worth the trip (yet again) in my book to see a mixture like that.

In fairness, the description of the layouts mostly came from Simon's Titfield Thunderbolt bookshop website... but yes, the show is definitely worth the trip again!

• RMweb Gold

In fairness, the description of the layouts mostly came from Simon's Titfield Thunderbolt bookshop website... but yes, the show is definitely worth the trip again!

This is going to take a lot of work in the garden - early July up at Stafford, B-O-A on the 21st, Pendon on the 28th - definitely a need to 'buy' some 'credits'

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

This is going to take a lot of work in the garden - early July up at Stafford, B-O-A on the 21st, Pendon on the 28th - definitely a need to 'buy' some 'credits'

Wells in August, Mike?

David

• RMweb Gold

Wells in August, Mike?

David

Maybe but I suspect that might have to be a 'bribed' (Mrs Stationmaster) outing and alas the hotel we like in Wells seems to have takena turn away from the more traditional aura it once had. So I might instead be building gardening credit for Steam!

• 2 weeks later...

See you tomorrow folks - all being well and FGW being in full operational fettle (and I suspect I'll have plenty of time as Mrs Stationmaster will be exploring Bradford On A for the first time so all we need is a nice sunny day, not too warm ;) ).

Bradford is nice, also worth a short walk along the canal towards Bath to the Cross Guns pub at Avoncliffe, good local Ales available.

• RMweb Gold

Should be fun, been trying to get to this one for at lest 5 years at least. Hope the A303/36 are not clogged up with caravans and 4WDs with the kids breaking up and sunshine.

I noticed that Mr Nevard not only managed to get there but created a totally new class of exhibition visitor by bringing a layout with him. Not the best of pics alas as they were taken across a crowded room but surely this beats backpacks not only for originality but in showing true concern for the interest of others? The layout incidentally is 'Polbrock' as recently seen in one of the monthly mags and definitely worth seeing 'in the flesh'.

post-6859-0-83601500-1342890261_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-87732300-1342890286_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-12685300-1342890312_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

And a few layout pics from this excellent little show - well worth the 2hr train journey to get there.

First Bishopsmead -

post-6859-0-23543600-1342890624_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-59592800-1342890654_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-12698100-1342890696_thumb.jpg

Then to the large scale tramcars of Blackrock

post-6859-0-46307800-1342890965_thumb.jpg

Then 'Nottingham Goods'

post-6859-0-31909900-1342891011_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-40807600-1342891036_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-84378200-1342891060_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-05855800-1342891093_thumb.jpg

And in complete contrast the wild open spaces of Valencia Harbour

post-6859-0-55333000-1342891286_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-66021400-1342891315_thumb.jpg

The 2mm scale wonder that is Wenford Bridge, with working gantry crane, is probably better known but it would be rude not to include it in this round of pics

post-6859-0-69871100-1342891540_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-08866100-1342891585_thumb.jpg

And onto H0 scale and something completely different in the shape of Wyandotte Siding

post-6859-0-21497700-1342891823_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-74752700-1342891849_thumb.jpg

There will be a few more to come but I'm about to be called to the bar so that's all for now folks. And for some reason one of the pics has appeared out of order although hopefully it's recognisable from the brief descriptions.

• RMweb Gold

An excellent day out by train to a cracking show. Thanks to Simon and his team, It was very nice to see Mr Nevard's carry-on luggage/layout that he's brought down with him.

If anybody is going tomorrow and can tear themselves away long enough for hot food I can recommend the "Dandelion" in the main street - we had an excellent lunch - not cheap - but very good indeed.

I do have a few photos - mainly of Christopher Payne's rather nice Portpyn - that I'll try to post....

Chris

An excellent day out by train to a cracking show. Thanks to Simon and his team, It was very nice to see Mr Nevard's carry-on luggage/layout that he's brought down with him.

If anybody is going tomorrow and can tear themselves away long enough for hot food I can recommend the "Dandelion" in the main street - we had an excellent lunch - not cheap - but very good indeed.

I do have a few photos - mainly of Christopher Payne's rather nice Portpyn - that I'll try to post....

Chris

Excellent little show, nice to get a few moments to chat to some RMwebbers, my children particularly liked Ardleigh Noel, with the guard emerging from his van to wave the train off and the dog with the wagging tail. Hope this still goes on next year wherever the venue is. My visit was shorter than liked because my children dragged me across the bridge to the Dandy Lion.....

• RMweb Gold

Excellent little show, nice to get a few moments to chat to some RMwebbers, my children particularly liked Ardleigh Noel, with the guard emerging from his van to wave the train off and the dog with the wagging tail. Hope this still goes on next year wherever the venue is. My visit was shorter than liked because my children dragged me across the bridge to the Dandy Lion.....

The little troublemakers...

Some photos as promised

post-1107-0-73613400-1342895947_thumb.jpg

post-1107-0-60339900-1342896105_thumb.jpg

post-1107-0-11706600-1342896234_thumb.jpg

post-1107-0-30406500-1342896464_thumb.jpg

I also have just got back from this very good show, like others the journey up was problematical. Following the recent medical event I was training a new walking stick to travel by train but gravity intervened before I reached Plymouth station and meant that some ex B R sticking plasters had to be included in the ticket price! Then when we got to Westbury the connecting train had been cancelled and the following service was rammed to the doors ( I had to try three doors before I found space to get in), but arrival at Bradford changed the day completely.

It was a very friendly,event with a wide choice of good layouts and folk to chat to, nothing to complain about at all,the traders although few in number took more money than I had either expected or planned.

All in all a good day out despite the poor start all I need now are the details of the next one to start planing the journey.

Archived