John Vaughans last book on Cornwall

• RMweb Gold

Likewise...he just told me earlier today there are a few Coombe Junction / Moorswater pics in it...so really looking forward to it :yes:

Wish I had got Amazon to send it to my Spanish address though as I won't get to see it for another 7/8 weeks when I next visit UK :(

Guest 34008Padstow

Getting mine on the 19th june from redruth. According to a local newspaper he will be signing books there

I'm on holiday in Cornwall that week - do you think SWMBO will enjoy a railway book signing? I've already persuaded her a cycle along the Camel Trail (from Wenford obviously) would be a good family activity!

Seriously I didn't know he had a new book out. Does anyone know the title or what the theme is?

• RMweb Gold

Tom, hi

Its called Cornish Railways and there's one left at amazon...and at a good price too!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cornish-Railways-John-Vaughan/dp/0711034672/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339234506&sr=8-1

It's John's last book as he is retiring from the business...he's been photographing 50 or so years I think...I wanted to fly back to meet him as he invited me to a retirement bash he is having...but I can't justify the costs so had to decline :(

My book duly arrived on time (thanks Amazon) and its worth every penny ,it covers all periods with Mr V,s superb photo,s plus excellent informed captions.The picture quality is brilliant and some quite rare loco,s are included, I liked the Scottish large liveried 37 just arrived from Scotland obviously ailing with black smoke issuing from the exhaust.Plenty of shots of the small china clay branches ,this book makes you want to live in Cornwall and model their railways.I had forgotten the Cornish Railways logo it looked good but FGW are looking after things okay I was down there in March and the trains are clean puntual and the staff very helpful and cheerful.I am going to miss John Vaughans books he is an excellent publisher of rail books I still have the origonal Deisels in the Duchy from 1982 ,black and white photos still look good.The variety of traffic a few years back makes you wonder why it all went away ,the clay traffic has declined but this is down to global polotics all in all this is a brilliant book ,thanks John enjoy your retirement.

• RMweb Gold

makes you want to live in Cornwall and model their railways.

I can relate to that (even though I haven't seen the book yet) as it was one of John's superb black and white photos of a class 25 on clay hoods at Coombe Junction (with Moorswater viaduct visible beyond lamelion bridge) published in 1982, that made me want to model the location.

The power of a good photo...:yes:

Just ordered from Amazon, I did see the book at DEMU Showcase but it was at an eye watering price. I am glad I resisted and got it at Amazon!

Such a shame it'll be the last John Vaughan book on the subject. Without him and Maurice Dart there would be a huge void in Cornish Railway history, I'm so glad both chaps took the time to document the operations.

I just wish I could travel back to the 1980s in a Tornado Red Mk2 Golf and see tractors on clay and hear decent music on the radio!

Cheers,

Jack

The pictures on pages 120 121 are the basis of a brilliant model it could almost be accomodated on double sided board ie backseen down the middle and a common fiddle yard ,every time I look at the book I see something new in the pictures.

• RMweb Gold

The pictures on pages 120 121 are the basis of a brilliant model

care to share a bit more?...I won't get to see what's on those two pages for another 7 weeks or so... :O

Sorry forgot you are off in foreign parts!Page 120 is Nanpean Wharf and is a mix of china clay and coal deliveries all inset track and a 37 delivering the wagons sadly everything has been razed to the ground,page 121isKernick clay driers and is very simple consisting of a siding off of the Burngullow branch.Both these could fit on a small board in any gauge or era the buildings are a mixture of concrete and corrugated iron everything is covered in a dusting of china clay .Nanpean has many small details that would provide hours of fun ,palletselectric poles and a general air of being rundown.Hope this gives you an idea of the quality in this book. Chris.

Well I picked up a copy of this yesterday (whilst on holiday in Cornwall!) and it is superb. Lots of very inspiring photos - leading to much day dreaming of various future schemes. The colour photos are very, very good and invaluable for anyone trying to model the 'feel' of Cornwall whatever the era.

As an aside my 2yr old son thinks its great - far better than his 'Thomas Tank' books. It's kept him quiet for ages. For this alone I thank you Mr Vaughan!!!

• RMweb Premium

I'll have to order one for the record at the very least. JAMV's works have recorded the west country (and Cornwall specifically) over many years and form a unique historical record. Having followed his enthusiasm for things railway from quite a young age, including travelling on his WSRTT railtours and enjoying some educational and convivial evenings at his home years ago now, I shall be sorry that there are no more books to follow but we all have to hang up our coats some time. Several of his works already grace the library and this one needs to join them.

I had a quick look at a copy at the West Somerset line last Friday and was very impressed, I didn't have enough on me to buy it on the day (having bought other goodies) but I'll definitely be having one.... the quality of the images is really superb.

Archived