John Vaughans last book on Cornwall

I've just ordered the book from the UK too - I've never shown an interest in Cornish railways (apart from the Diesels in the Duchy group, who I've followed).

I do like good railway books, however - this seems like a good one and well worth the transatlantic flight...

Cheers, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Just been browsing through my new John Vaughan book and it has prompted a question. On Page 103, showing a tractor at Carbis Wharf, a PGA is shown being left there. Did they also load calcified seawead there or was there another purpose for this PGA?

Great book :-D

Cheers,

Jack

Jack, there's another photo in JVs "Branches & Byways - Cornwall" book of a sheeted PGA leaving Carbis Wharf 2 Sep 1988 - the caption says "a Tiger wagon was not available and a smaller PGA vehicel was used, with tarpaulin sheeting in place to protect the china clay". So no, not calcified seaweed but an alternative wagon to add to the possible fleet!

At one time calcified seaweed was loaded at Nanpean Wharf which is ironically one of the furthest points from the sea in Cornwall. So still an excuse to mix it with the clay traffic. I've seen pics of it in PGA and POA wagons and slightly earlier also some 21t hoppers at Truro which were probably for that traffic.

Jack, there's another photo in JVs "Branches & Byways - Cornwall" book of a sheeted PGA leaving Carbis Wharf 2 Sep 1988 - the caption says "a Tiger wagon was not available and a smaller PGA vehicel was used, with tarpaulin sheeting in place to protect the china clay". So no, not calcified seaweed but an alternative wagon to add to the possible fleet!

Thanks, that'll certainly make an interesting wagon to add to my clay fleet. Does the photo in "Branches & Byways - Cornwall" show the livery on the wagon? In the picture in "Cornish Railways" I think I can just make out an E on the side which would imply it was an ECC one, though it's on the unlit side and the photograph is almost head on so it isn't very clear.

Thanks,

Jack

There was a thread on this a while back - sorry can't manage a link on the iPhone. I think the conclusion was that the blue ECC quarry PGA wagons never went near Cornwall. The calcified seaweed was carried in Yeoman or ARC liveried PGA wagons (and POA and HEA) so I suspect the ones at Carbis wharf were similar.

Doesn't stop me using the Farish ECC ones with a bit of modellers license.....

There was a thread on this a while back - sorry can't manage a link on the iPhone. I think the conclusion was that the blue ECC quarry PGA wagons never went near Cornwall. The calcified seaweed was carried in Yeoman or ARC liveried PGA wagons (and POA and HEA) so I suspect the ones at Carbis wharf were similar.

Doesn't stop me using the Farish ECC ones with a bit of modellers license.....

That's what I always thought, but I never realised that they had been used on China Clay traffic. It would be interesting to know the circumstances under which the PGAs were used, perhaps if several Tigers needed to have work done to them over 2 or 3 months it is possible that rather than lease more wagons they'd have brought a handful of the ECC Quarry PGAs down. That said there could have been some Yeoman/ARC PGAs spare from seaweed traffic which were leased. Certainly the wagon looks very brown, this probably means ARC and I am perhaps mistaking the E for the R.

Unfortunately "Branches & Byways - Cornwall" is the about the only John Vaughan book on Cornwall I don't have, hopefully the picture in that book shows the livery better.

Cheers,

Jack

• RMweb Premium

I'll have to order one for the record at the very least. JAMV's works have recorded the west country (and Cornwall specifically) over many years and form a unique historical record. Having followed his enthusiasm for things railway from quite a young age, including travelling on his WSRTT railtours and enjoying some educational and convivial evenings at his home years ago now, I shall be sorry that there are no more books to follow but we all have to hang up our coats some time. Several of his works already grace the library and this one needs to join them.

It must be my age but I don't remember his WSRTT railtours, but I certainly do remember travelling on a couple of his RPPR Western loco hauled railtours. At that time he lived in the same town as me in Surrey and I used to see him occasionally in the high street.

I have a few of his books because his photos are always interesting subjects and of superb quality, but unfortunately I have to draw the line somewhere and nowadays books that are mostly in black and white when the photos were taken in colour tend to get left on the shelf, this latest one included.

But since its his last, next time I'm in the UK I'll give it a proper look and see if I'm persuaded.

I have a few of his books because his photos are always interesting subjects and of superb quality, but unfortunately I have to draw the line somewhere and nowadays books that are mostly in black and white when the photos were taken in colour tend to get left on the shelf, this latest one included.

This most recent and final book is in full colour, it's also got several gems within especially if you're into the rustic old clay branches.

Cheers,

Jack

• RMweb Premium

A copy of the book is winging its way down under c/o Amazon and a birthday gift voucher :)

I don't remember his WSRTT railtours, but I certainly do remember travelling on a couple of his RPPR Western loco hauled railtours.

WSRTT (West Sussex Railway Touring Trust) came before RPPR (Railway Pictorial Publications Railtours) and were a joint and charitable venture with his then Inland Revenue workmate Trevor Tupper. BR - SR held a commuter's forum in Worthing where we lived at the time and which they (and myself) attended. When the panel was asked by John why there were no Merrymakers or similar specials any more and the reply was a sucking of thumbs and scratching of heads he promptly offered to arrange some.

Aimed at the general travel market rathe than rail enthusiasts WRSTT nevertheless took double-headed 33s to Ilfracombe (the final charter to reach there running just a couple of weeks before closure), Torquay (several times), Llandudno, Exeter (with a 52 thence to Plymouth and Penzance as a surprise) and Weston-super-Mare. Large headboards were carried. Proceeds were donated to local charities.

RPPR came later as his personal publishing business grew and was aimed at the rail enthusiast market with tours featuring specified motive power (often his favoured 52s) and to / over sought-after track.

• RMweb Gold

I believe John had a retirement bash one day last week whilst he was down west.

He had invited me but I just couldn't get the numbers to work to justify a 48hr return ticket from Spain....in these difficult economic times.

I think he had chartered a class 50 to work a special for him...I will contact him to see how it was...maybe he has a few photos of it.

Shame, as I really would like to have met with him....a real legend :yes:

• RMweb Premium

It's arrived down under :) and I am delighted to report is as rewarding as the comments above led me to hope for. Highly recommended and a worthy addition to any bookshelf. There may be no more books coming but we can still hope that, on occasions, we might (as some of us have done over the years) accidentally stumble upon JV somewhere in his beloved Royal Duchy camera in hand.

• RMweb Premium

It must be my age but I don't remember his WSRTT railtours

Pages 56 and 57 show locomotives bearing John's WSRTT discs. Those adorned his early charters along with huge white headboards bearing the name (always ending in "Limited" such as the "North Devon Limited" from Hove - Ilfracombe) but on the workings illustrated are fitted only because the author was aboard the locomotive (and was in possession of the appropriate permit as he himself states) rather than those trips having any connection with a WSRTT railtour. They did not. John also arranged for his discs to be displayed at times on other unusual workings upon which he rode and which were duly photographed.

I received mine yesterday in Gotham.

Beautiful quality book, some amazing photos (the captions are interesting too).

Not being overly familiar with Cornish railways I would have appreciated a county map of the routes mentioned but I can find that elsewhere...

It will come in very handy one day but in the meantime it is a wonderful "dip into" book.

Thanks, Pete.

A truly amazing book! Definetly my favourite next to "Diesels in the Duchy".

Anyone got a favourite picture from the latest book? Mine is on page 102. For me it sums up the Cornish clay atmosphere in one. Desolate white-ish landscape, clay hoods, red stripe railfreight grey class 37. Brilliant photo!

A truly amazing book! Definetly my favourite next to "Diesels in the Duchy".

Anyone got a favourite picture from the latest book? Mine is on page 102. For me it sums up the Cornish clay atmosphere in one. Desolate white-ish landscape, clay hoods, red stripe railfreight grey class 37. Brilliant photo!

That is a loverly photograph, I really like the warm lighting and slightly menacing sky.

Drinnick Mill on page 120 is my favourite; Lots of nice little details in the picture and it was a rarely photographed but very interesting location.

Cheers,

Jack

I paid that (about). By the time I received it it had cost me full retail price due to airmail to the 'States from Amazon in Spain.......they always seem to ship the books from Amazon UK, dunno why.

Worth it though. Pete.

• RMweb Gold

So that just leaves me who has to wait another 5 weeks to get to see it :angry:

(its been sitting at my parents house in the UK for about 3 weeks now...next time I will select Amazon.es)

• RMweb Gold

best £17 i ever spent :)

£17 !!! ??? - Cost me £25 !! And JV wasn't there to sign it ! Still worth the money though.

Cost me £25 too. Luckily got mine signed

Likewise 25 notes....but that Mickey has Cornish connections I believe...;)

Archived