Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

.... won an Airfix 14xx with a Comet Chassis and a RG4 along with a Bachmann Pannier again with a comet chassis and can motor, both for about £25 each and from Rails of Sheffield....

Funny you should mention that. I've just come out as winning bidder on something with a Portescap in it as well.....

Was it mentioned in the description or photo?

It was in the photo, the chassis having been completed to basic spec. with the motor installed, but needs cylinders and valve gear adding on (included in kit). The kit is a Standard Five, described as incomplete, so it could be split for parts.

The way I look at it, the RG4 has cost me £58, and the kit parts came free. But those parts could be sold as spares, I suppose, as I'm not a fan of armour-plated DJH chassis and I certainly have no use for Romford/Markits wheels..... Not too keen on the cast whitemetal tender either. The boiler and firebox casting could be used to improve the Alan Gibson version of the same engine class, as I've had problems with the Gibson castings being asymmetrical.

Man after my own heart, I look at what's available and either want it cheap or with other items

Thinking of Wills/Southeastern Finecast kits, the new kits mostly range from £80 to £100, wheel packs from £38 to £50+ and motor packs £21 to £33, so I guess full kits start from £140 to Somewhere near £200.

Now even if a Wills kit for example have both chassis (old cast type) and wheels (older Romford)  I don't want, I have a reasonable idea of what their resale value is, this can reduce the purchase price or at least pay for a new chassis or a motor.

I have often bought a RTR loco just for the chassis, motor & wheels. But that's the fun of finding a little gem which others have missed

Just landed a Bachmann Mk.1 SK for a tenner.

Wow! How the Bl**oo**dy hell did you manage that?!?! I must not be living right! ;) I've been watching some and never see a deal it seems, oh well, congratulations :locomotive:

• Like 1

Wow! How the Bl**oo**dy hell did you manage that?!?! I must not be living right! ;) I've been watching some and never see a deal it seems, oh well, congratulations :locomotive:

Aim never to pay more than about fourteen quid for a Bachmann Mk.1. Anything under that, and you're a happy bunny. Many of them seem not to have been used much, if at all. Good fodder for converting to P4, and detailing with Masokits parts.

• Like 2

A couple of boxes waiting for me, firstly the box with the loco bodies and tenders and The Wills Prairie,

Will sort through the parts  (3 collet goods bodys and 2 tenders + a Romford re-wheeled chassis, 3 more loco body's and a couple of tenders )over the next few days and decide what I want to keep and what to re-sell.

The Prairie has the cast whitemetal chassis, this will be re-sold and a new etched one ordered which is £34.50 + postage. Its worth it for the new chassis and motion.  A new one is £87.95 + £4.50 P&P I paid about £26 for it and hope to get a tenner for the chassis.

Tonight I won Southeastern Finecast SR Q1 for £34.50 + 6.50, I think £41 is quite reasonable for a £93.95 + postage kit, chassis started everything still in the packet. I have 2 x K's and a Wills finecast and it fits into my upgrade plans fine. 

The Southeastern Finecast Q1 has arrived as the seller was away. A bit dearer than I normally pay, having said that no new chassis to buy and the chassis has been started and to a reasonable standard. Better still a full set of instructions, and as I said I have another SEF Q1 where the chassis has been part built but seems to have the odd problem. On a previous post I wondered what it might look like in Bullied Green. SR devotees and rivet counters must be shaking in anger and rage but its such an ugly loco that you can't stop liking it. Anyway I guess it will end up black.

Can't go wrong with a Q1. The SEF model has the inbuilt advantage of being heavy, something that can't be said of the Crownline / PDK kit.

Meanwhile, a Bachmann body for the GW 4575 "Small Prairie" (the later batch with slanting tanks) has turned up. Cost: £9. Could go well on a Comet or Mitchell chassis.

Edited by Horsetan

'Locomotives I Have Known' By J. N. Maskelyne for £10.73 plus £1.51 postage!!!

I'm very pleased and seem to have far better luck on ebay finding books, than anything else.

Edited by knobhead

Three unbuilt Coopercraft Mk.1 kits (a BCK, CK and SK) on the way. Not necessarily a bargain at an average £16.61 each, but the seller was so pleased, he gave me free postage on the trio. Me, I'm happy to hoover up as many Coopercraft Mk.1s as I can handle. I just like building them.

....and a Yamaha Clavinova 88-key digital piano, with collapsible stand, for fifty quid. That will be collected on Thursday, after which musical fumbling will ensue.....

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Not a model railway item but E-bay was discussed on BBC breakfast this morning and they were asking people what their best E-bay bargain was. One guy said his mum purchased a track suit for him for £10, they found £60 in the pocket! :sungum:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

.....but gave the money back of course.

I got the impression that he kept it. Should have kept his mouth shut if he did. Not that I'm condoning keeping the money, he knew who the rightful owner was so it would be theft by finding but admitting it on national TV must qualify for high marks in the stupidity stakes.

Edited by PhilJ W

Rake of 4 Crimson/Cream Bachmann Mk1s - new, never run but no original boxes as stored in plastic container.

1 x 39-127C CK, 1 x 39-127D CK, 2 x 39-077D BSK 

All extras included and "box ends" for identification... works out at 12 quid each, I'm pretty chuffed landing it here in the US as they seldom show up <sigh>

post-20244-0-57766200-1408846797_thumb.jpg

• Like 2