Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

my bargan was a lima class 59 foster yeomans there is a alight paint blemish on the name plates on one side and as my layout is end to end you never see the other side bit of a cop out haha unless I can get some nice etched name plates it was £18 and it was boxed and had the detailing parts unopened in box still

• RMweb Gold

Hornby Magazine/Dapol ex LMS Stove in BR maroon.  Described as 'Hornby authentic OO scale model' with a couple of indistinct photos.  Absolutely mint/boxed £17 + p/p. 

Was doubly surprised (I don't use a sniping prog) so had to put my bid in a couple of hours before it finished, as I was out at the time of auction end.

Was doubly surprised (I don't use a sniping prog)

Why? Snipe bidding only works if you bid more than anyone else has bid. Obviously no one did. Had they done so it would not have made a jot of difference if you had made a last minute snipe bid at the same level

As an further example, my last 5 bids, all made at the start of the auction, were all successful. There were a few bids at the very end but none higher than I was prepared to pay (i.e. my week old max. bid) and I won all 5 for less than my max bids (50% less for two of them).

Andrew

Really like these, and won them as a set for 20USD or about 4 quid EACH - they're brand new and seem never to have been out of the boxes!

The "later" versions too, with metal wheels rather than the plastic ones, so probably won't even need to re-wheel them...

post-20244-0-66903600-1410020649_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 2

Hopefully I have had both a good buy and a good sale on Ebay this weekend

The Buy is a packet of 12 brass 1/8ths hornblocks for b£1.99 + £1.50, I won't, but I could sell a packet of 6 for much more and have a free packet and a bit of change

The sale was an Airfix/MRRC slimline model slot car motor for £16.01 + £2 postage, it had a crown gear on it plus connecting wires. No idea when I got it, would have either discounted it within the lot or just factored in a couple of quid within the bid. Would never have bought it on its own though. It was only when I spoke with someone else when I was arranging a motor swap that I not only noticed it in my motor box and decided to sell it. Still well pleased with the result

• Like 1

Oi, what's going on here? I thought you were under strict instructions to reduce the collection from SWMBO, pending a house move? Has there been a change of plan?

:jester:

Kevin

I must confess to a couple of Lapses, I have as requested by the authorities 4 locos for sale and have refrained from buying anything for 6+ weeks. Last weekend I bought 12 brass hornblocks for £3.50. and earlier this week 6 Romford wheels and what I hope is an Eames brass chassis for a BR Mogul £10.41. But just as my wife cannot resist a shoe shop during the sales I gave in to Ebay last night 

Lapse 1

A ready built Magna models 3F (tender loco), it needs a motor and pickups, but reportedly well built. According to my W&H catalogue needs a D11, but has a boxed Romford Bulldog. All for £29.80 It will be interesting to see how it differs from the Wills kit, it does have an earlier tender. If I wish could recoup a third of the price by selling the Bulldog. Reason I don't have any locos from Magna Models. I also have an etched loco chassis spare which could be used

Lapse 2

A lot harder to justify, a Western Precision Casting/ Cotswold un-built LMS 3F loco body kit with the Cotswold Brass chassis, reason for buying was no one else was bidding and it was £19.95 + £2.80. I have 2 built models, one with what looks to have Hornby wheels so I could let this one go and perhaps use one of the spare etched chassis I have.

I will pay the appropriate penance, 

• RMweb Premium

Kevin

I must confess to a couple of Lapses,  But just as my wife cannot resist a shoe shop during the sales I gave in to Ebay last night 

As long as the shoes don't pinch you should be in the clear. :jester:

Hopefully I have had both a good buy and a good sale on Ebay this weekend

The Buy is a packet of 12 brass 1/8ths hornblocks for b£1.99 + £1.50, I won't, but I could sell a packet of 6 for much more and have a free packet and a bit of change

The sale was an Airfix/MRRC slimline model slot car motor for £16.01 + £2 postage, it had a crown gear on it plus connecting wires. No idea when I got it, would have either discounted it within the lot or just factored in a couple of quid within the bid. Would never have bought it on its own though. It was only when I spoke with someone else when I was arranging a motor swap that I not only noticed it in my motor box and decided to sell it. Still well pleased with the result

Hornblocks arrived yesterday, look fine and are my preferred square type rather than round, just looked at Markits £6.30 per 6.

Also arrived is a chassis for a BR Class 2, a nice set of 6 Romford/Markits 21 mm wheels, what I now think is a heavily adapted Bristol Models chassis, might be usable  a Hornbl Dublo Cylinders and motion which has been adapted, and a few parts (bin fodder) of the Airfix Class 2 body. All for £10.41 inc postage

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

OK it's not exactly a steal but this seller seems to have quite a few locos listed (and others sold recently) which are listed as used.  However they seem to be either remaindered stock or stock with small imperfections like detail packs missing.  Am very pleased to get a Hornby L1 for £79.99 with free courier p/p delivered within 48 hours.  Am not an expert on some of the DE stuff sold recently but it looks to me like 'last year's prices'?

Usual disclaimers, this is my 1st buy from this seller.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131290528708?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Edit:  Forgot to add that bizarrely all his locos are listed under Hornby > Coaches

Edited by Metr0Land

Just got a Dapol Terrier for £40 on an offer. Not a rock-bottom price, but I'd totted up how much it was going to cost me to put an Alan Gibson chassis and wheels under a spare body and when that hit £50 the r-t-r looked like very good value! Generally these are going for £60-70 as Rails seem to have decided that that's their price level and everyone else copies. They've got one at £99.50 for some reason.

It'll be renumbered to become a Hayling Billy as I remembered them in 1957-61. I know, Southern Region cliché...

Kevin

I must confess to a couple of Lapses, I have as requested by the authorities 4 locos for sale and have refrained from buying anything for 6+ weeks. Last weekend I bought 12 brass hornblocks for £3.50. and earlier this week 6 Romford wheels and what I hope is an Eames brass chassis for a BR Mogul £10.41. But just as my wife cannot resist a shoe shop during the sales I gave in to Ebay last night 

Lapse 1

A ready built Magna models 3F (tender loco), it needs a motor and pickups, but reportedly well built. According to my W&H catalogue needs a D11, but has a boxed Romford Bulldog. All for £29.80 It will be interesting to see how it differs from the Wills kit, it does have an earlier tender. If I wish could recoup a third of the price by selling the Bulldog. Reason I don't have any locos from Magna Models. I also have an etched loco chassis spare which could be used

Lapse 2

A lot harder to justify, a Western Precision Casting/ Cotswold un-built LMS 3F loco body kit with the Cotswold Brass chassis, reason for buying was no one else was bidding and it was £19.95 + £2.80. I have 2 built models, one with what looks to have Hornby wheels so I could let this one go and perhaps use one of the spare etched chassis I have.

Both items arrived, the 3F (tender version)seems quite well made, just a few areas on handrail knobs where the paint has worn. The tender is very basic. I have a motor and gears which just need fitting. It cost me £29.80 inc a Romford Bulldog motor, this was not needed so it was sold for a net £8.70. very pleased with my £21 tender loco

The 3F tank also arrived, all still in its wrapping. Included the brass chassis. I do have both an Airfix 5 pole motor with gear set and Romford wheels. As I said I have 2 of these locos already, one on a Hornby chassis without steps and another one still with the Hornby chassis block but with Romfords. I think the former will go on Ebay as the latter is in a bit better condition and also has a 5 pole motor

Had a very satisfying buy today - one of my fringe interests is continental N gauge, and I spotted a listing on the Spanish ebay site for a fairly early Minitrix DB class 184 quad-voltage electric loco. It looked cosmetically fine, boxed with paperwork but putting the description through google translate revealed that it was dead apart from the lights. Anyhow I bid and won it for just under £17. I spent a couple of hours dismantling the (beautifully engineered, German made) mechanism, and basically it just needed a few dulled connections polished and off it went! 

This is the flip side of the fear ebay engenders because you cannot handle or test the goods - if you're willing to be a bit fearless in my experience you will win more often than lose.

post-549-0-06126000-1411491918_thumb.jpg

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Today's steals have included a n gauge Dapol 14xx, auto coach and 2 new version MK1 coaches for less that £40 all because of a very poor photo and even worse description.

This arrived through the door with a parcel from France containing lots of Kato track including a scissors crossing that was only just about £15 inc postage. Some what better that the £40 that they normally go for. 

Rake of 4 BR/WR Chocolate/Cream Bachmann MK1s - new, never run but no original boxes, stored in plastic containers. (Same seller as earlier crimson/cream ones!!)

1 x BG, 2 x SK, 1 x CK, 1 x RU, 1 x FK and 1 x BCK

Came with extras again, and box ends for identification. This lot only cost me 11 quid apiece! Feels like a good buy to me :)

post-20244-0-15114400-1411591663_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not necssary a bargain but I could not resist this N C Keyser GWR Low Syphon

post-1131-0-97693900-1412580896.jpeg

Built to EM gauge and not only looks well built but the underframe arrangement caught my eye

post-1131-0-93097000-1412580916.jpeg

post-1131-0-97987800-1412580964.jpeg

Pin point bearings and axles at both ends and a super sprung centre wheel arrangement, not totally free running, but that may be due to not being used for sometime, repairs needed once I remove the Sprat & Winkle couplings.

What was a good buy was not from Ebay but the bring and buy stand at Folkstone show. A N.C.Keyser GWR Railcar, boxed and still in wrappings and stapled up bags instructions etc. The older version with a Mk 1 motor and decent wheels all for £10. There was a trader selling a Mk 1 motor with gears for £15 !! but had full loco kits from £55

Also bought a pair of Keyser SR/ LSWR 8' Fox light coach bogies for £2, plus a D&S  LNWR 4 wheeled van

• Like 2

Twelve quid for a Hornby Maunsell composite coach. Only needs changing of one digit to represent the sole survivor of its type on the Bluebell.

....and another Brassmasters 4F and Fowler tender, with all the trimmings, including Ultrascale wheels. £156.

All I need to do is get rid of the motor and gear set, and shove in one of my RG4s....

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1